Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT-40 will not start after changing fuel filter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 will not start after changing fuel filter

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:19pm
Ran the boat all over the lake today. Weehii!

My 1998 Air Nautique got sunk by a friend when it had 2,000 hours on it. Never once did it fail to start.

My 1999 Pro Air Nautique, bought with 900 hours on it and 500 more put on it, got burned up accidentally by my (not kidding) great (and I mean really good people) neighbors who were burning leaves next door and didn't get the fire put out completely.

Bought a 1998 Sport Nautique recently with 242 hours on it. This is the only one so far that would not start....ever....in all the years and hours I've put on these boats. Yea, that's pretty reliable I'd say. All the same engines; love these engines.

CYS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:13am
The failure rate of the relays seems pretty high due to reports here plus the fact that some even carry spares. Yes, they are a common relays used for many applications in automotive but the application on a inductive load causes arcing of the contacts that drastically reduce the life especially on a DC inductive load. When designed, someone missed the fact that arc suppression is needed. It's a simple RC circuit that's simple to add. Commercial snubber modules are even available. Snubber modules

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 1:11am
Gosh Pete you can find the relays for around 5 bucks if you don't snag them like Ken. What does it cost to build a suppression circuit? Charles's relays lasted 20 years, Mine were 22 and were only changed because the plastic cracked that held the metal bracket to them so they didn't stay mounted on the plate.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 3:44am
Pete, I wish I had your understanding of the electronics. I have never ventured to learn how all the relays work. Nice to have your advice on here.
Rakerdeal, you have some really bad luck, but as they say bad luck comes in three's.
Your done now.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 8:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The failure rate of the relays seems pretty high due to reports here plus the fact that some even carry spares. Yes, they are a common relays used for many applications in automotive but the application on a inductive load causes arcing of the contacts that drastically reduce the life especially on a DC inductive load. When designed, someone missed the fact that arc suppression is needed. It's a simple RC circuit that's simple to add. Commercial snubber modules are even available. Snubber modules

So a 20 to 25 year lifespan on these things is unreliable ?

Let's look at automotive uses like on say a 93 Grand Cherokee with 250,000 plus miles and it's relays are original. The fuel pump relay and the A/C compressor relay are the same as these gt-40 relays without the bracket. Now what kind of loads are those?

Maybe you'd rather get towed in or paddle in if you were broken down instead of having a couple of spares that take up roughly 2 cubic inches of space and can be changed in a few minutes.

You need to go back to picking on electronic modules and filing your points
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 10:31am
Relays aint what they used to be, they were good - then they took out mercury and other not responsible stuff, then they were real bad, now they are getting better again as the manufacturers learn the ways of the alternate metals available for the contacts.   I don't disagree that a snubber can help but probably a bit over kill here.. If someone is burning through relays the likely cause is going to be pumps that are on their way out and are pulling higher current then they should.   Once the contact surface of the relay has had a serious arching event or two that burns through the coating then they wear much quicker.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 11:36am
The bosch type used on your boat are pretty good but failures can happen.   You can do lots of cool and simple circuits using them, here is a control panel for a diesel generator the I designed and built, works pretty good.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Relays aint what they used to be, they were good - then they took out mercury and other not responsible stuff,     

Slightly off topic but No kidding, I blew a relay on a 220 3 phase oven when a car hit a pole near my shop and the power flicked on and off several times before going out completely.   That was a mercury relay and I couldn't find an original replacement, Put on the recommended replacement and that thing didn't last a month. Took me a while to locate some old stock and then I couldn't get it shipped to Illlinois because it's illegal to ship Mercury now. After some creative wrangling I got my NOS Mercury relay and it's been fine since, I'm still looking for another back up though, getting hard to find the good stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:45pm
Alan,
        McMaster used to have the mercury relays but checking it looks like they too discontinued them. The replacement you got, was it a mechanical relay or was it a solid state? In the past 20 years, solid states have become very popular for resistance heating for on/off as well as chopping the wave form for variable heating. If the replacement was mechanical, look into the solid state or a RC to protect the mechanicals contacts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 1:49pm
Do like KENO said and just grab some from a donor vehicle and throw them in your tool box.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 8:22pm
Rakerdeal

I don't know what you bought for relays but if you walked into the auto parts store and said give me a couple of relays like this,you should look at the little schematic on the side and make sure it matches the original schematic.

The originals have a resistor in parallel with the coil between the 85 and 86 contacts and hopefully your new ones do too.

Here's what the schematic should look like. That blank rectangle on the left is the resistor

If there is nothing going around the coil, you should get relays with the resistor for suppression of voltage surges

If in doubt, if you get the PCM relays you can't go wrong

The link below is good info

link about relays

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 8:58pm
Ken,
Thanks.
Getting the relays that Ken mentions is certainly a good idea but do understand that the resistor between the coil is arc protection for the "upstream" device (whatever is turning the relay on and off) and is not protecting the relay contacts from arc damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 10:09pm
When I get back north I will check and see what numbers are on my old and new relays. Mark had in the past listed their part numbers but I cannot find it. The numbers on the new did not match the old but they had the correct "water resistant" plug and mounting lug that the ones that come from a Jeep don't. With Pete talking snow I'm in no hurry
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 11:26pm
Keno I'll see what I got tomorrow. You guys are surely having fun now interacting well above my electronic/mechanical performance or play level. Still I do enjoy reading and learning a little.
CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by rakerdeal rakerdeal wrote:

Keno I'll see what I got tomorrow. You guys are surely having fun now interacting well above my electronic/mechanical performance or play level. Still I do enjoy reading and learning a little.

Just trying to make sure your fix is good and doesn't lead to any other problems.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When I get back north I will check and see what numbers are on my old and new relays. Mark had in the past listed their part numbers but I cannot find it. The numbers on the new did not match the old but they had the correct "water resistant" plug and mounting lug that the ones that come from a Jeep don't. With Pete talking snow I'm in no hurry

After staying up well past my bedtime I found this for you Gary

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Gary coped this from the GT40 Diag thread.

"Yes the fuel pump relay and EEC relay are the same. They are a Hella unit I have been trying to get my local Hella agent to source them. I dont think he is trying that hard a bit of Internet trolling came up with this pretty quick.

The Hella part # is 4RD 960 388-31.
The US Hella number is 87412.
PCM part # is R130011

You can also purchase a ECHLIN equivalent at NAPA pt # AR174 for $10.97"

Gary in the end I purchased Hella relays from Amazon after trying to source them from Hella Australia unsuccessfully.

GT40 Relays Amazon

The freight for Amazon items to Australia is far less expensive than any other freight method from the US to Australia.

Hey.... Gary also make sure your battery measures at least 12.8V with engine not running
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:50am
Your search skills are better than mine Ken That's them and they do work (so far)
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:07am
They're only better on the odd numbered days of even numbered months.

Lewy's link has Hella part number 007794301 as what he bought and they worked too.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:20am
Here's the info on a Hella 87411 which supersedes the 87412 mentioned in Lewy's post and cross references to the 4RD 960388-31. and the 007794301. It's in the link at the end of this post

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, they are a common relays used for many applications in automotive but the application on a inductive load causes arcing of the contacts that drastically reduce the life especially on a DC inductive load. When designed, someone missed the fact that arc suppression is needed.

Cheap Chinese made piece of crap is only good for 100,000 cycles when used on an inductive load .

German company with BIG factory in China

Hella relay
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 3:27pm
In case anybody's wondering and to validate that it's the same style relay, here's a picture of a NAPA/Echlin AR-174 relay that's easy to find.

The schematic is the same as the Hella/PCM relays so it's functionally the same thing.

No metal bracket though, you have to reuse the old one

It's also" hecho en China", says it right on the box

I paid about 9 US dollars for it.

rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 2:03pm
Keno my schematic is different so I need to get different ones. Any of those posted that you recommend?
CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 2:09pm
Here is my current shcmatic:

CYS
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 2:18pm
Keno, ordered the ones you posted from Napa/Echlin AR174.
CYS
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 5:08pm
Well, the good news is that you'll have 2 good spares

Looking at the schematics without getting all wordy and technical they both function the same in this application because these particular relays aren't polarity sensitive. Either ones will work equally well.

You could leave what you have there and they should be good for another 20 years or until some crazy thing happens to this boat, but it's nice to have a couple of spares handy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 6:30pm

Keno my schematic is different

Here is my current shcmatic:

They are the same. You need to look at the terminal numbers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 6:33pm
Thanks Keno. I now have 2 extras coming with is quite ok with me. I had sort of figured my initial observation was (as usual) incorrect.

I really REALLY appreciate your help. I have enjoyed this experience. I like bonding with my boats.
CYS
craigmeade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigmeade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2020 at 9:32am
Hey guys I am now having a similar problem to the one described at the start of the thread so I thought i'd get it out there for your thoughts.

I recently disassembled and resealed/ reassembled the line between the low pressure and high pressure pump on my 95 GT-40 in order to correct a fuel leak. When I tried to start the boat, I got a second of the engine firing and that was it. I can hear the low pressure pump running, and I also cycled the ignition several times to see if I could get more fuel in there. Eventually, the battery died.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2020 at 10:29am
Does it consistently start and run for about a second or so or did it just do it once?

Do you have a safety lanyard/tether switch? Is it plugged in?

If it's unplugged it'll start and shut right back off

Check your 12.5 and 20 amp breakers on the back of the engine also to be sure one is not tripped.
craigmeade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigmeade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2020 at 11:10am
It consistently fires for about a second

And confirmed the lanyard is attached

I will look at the breakers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic