NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

blowed it up yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blowed it up yesterday
    Posted: April-02-2018 at 9:10am
Pretty sure I dropped a valve or jumped the chain last night putting her away. Gave it one little blup running on the flusher to clear the risers and all motion ceased. it actually acts like its way over advanced, not a mechanical clunk type locked up. Im gonna go pull the plugs out today and Ill let you know the prognoses when I return.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 10:31am
dropped #5 intake.
Crap.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 10:42am
Bummer.   Did it drop a keeper or break the head off??   What engine??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 10:48am
5.7 GM. left handed so no biggie.
Not sure whet happened yet. water in 5 and 7. Electrode is burned right off #5. All others look perfect.
Im thinking the head cracked and dropped the seat. Still pondering tearing the heads off or just ordering a long block. Not really sure yet. Too bad Im not ready to build that stroker.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 10:57am
I would be shopping the wreckers for a relatively low mileage vortec runner out of a Tahoe or something of the like. It would cost you an intake and the need to run an electric fuel pump but they make nice ski boat motors with the roller cam and modern head design.   Anything under a 100k miles is likely to rust out before it wears out, and I trust the used factory motors more than most of the aftermarket long blocks...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:16am
Thats an idea. I have to run the cast iron intake and I can get the factory pump easy enough. That gets me 298 vs 280 horses as well. I would have to tear it down and change the head gaskets and casting plugs though. Think there is difference in cams?
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:31am
Thought vortec was a ford engine
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:40am
I have helped swap a couple used 5.7 vortecs into open bow malibus on the lake in place of blown up factory 260hp mercs. Pulled the plugs and replaced with brass (although I am not sure but I think we ended up pulling brass plugs out of at least one of them. We didn't mess with the cam and both boats picked up 3-4 mph on the top end and are hotter on the pull than before the swap. I am sure there is likely a better cam option out there but I don't think I would bother. The first one has a solid 400 hours on it now and acts like a new motor. Definitely would have rather run a mechanical fuel pump over the not super reliable aftermarket electric options but it was a reasonable trade off – spending a little time to mount/wire and plumb up a carter electric with an easily replaceable relay and oil pressure switch that would last a few years and swap out relatively cheaply would probably be worth the effort.   Everything seems to be getting a bit harder to find these days, but one of the two was a 90k engine for 500 on craigslist, the other guy went the salvage yard route and it was more money but they did knock off a few hundred bucks because he was going to tear it down far enough that the salvage yard didn't have to offer a warranty.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Correct but GM makes them for Ford!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:59am
I've done the same as Joe

New intake manifold for the Vortec head bolt pattern, same exhaust, electric pump and brass "plugs" whatever you want to call them.

Your carburetor and distributor and the rest of the bolt on parts and you have a good running engine with plenty of power.

Edit...........it may not be too easy to find a cast iron intake to fit since you run in that salty ocean water
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

wtf
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 12:54pm
Yeah Pete, Vortec is definitely GM.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

wtf

Tim,
You actually thought I was serious?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:28pm
what is the ford pu gas engine called, Damn things all sound alike . Etech vortech, v tech, bluetech whatevertech
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 2:54pm
Electrode burned away and gasket blown between 5 and 7 classic detonation damage.
Sorry.
Detonation is usually caused by lean burn which makes the cylinder burn hotter.
Common cause on a carbureted engine would be an intake leak letting extra air in to the damaged cylinder.
Excessive timing can certainly cause this also.
A dropped valve is also an indication you had excess heat in that cylinder.
Find the cause before repairing so the same problem does not hit your next engine.
If your pistons and cylinders are good you could just install new heads.
A Vortec head upgrade is a great option but a Vortec manifold would be needed also.
For the cost of both these you are close to cost for some new aluminum performance heads or Dart cast iron performance heads.
From 0 to 5,500 RPM on a 350 the Vortecs are really good.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 9:04pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 9:29pm
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 11:16am
pretty ugly.   
wonder how long it had been leaking?   what is the composition of the build up above the valve? is that rust ? if so its been leaking for a while id say.

also is that the exhaust or intake, I cant tell from photo, if exhaust then do you have exhaust manifold crack or riser issue?

If this is vacuum leak induced it makes me want to do test on mine with wd40 to rule out leaks.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 11:27am

also is that the exhaust or intake, I cant tell from photo

exhaust valve is usually smaller than intake valve, no?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 11:34am
How about the steam engine in Pete's Paddlewheel Nautique ? Was great for shallow water but the rope kept getting tangled....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:50pm

Yep much smaller.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:52pm

Likely,   it looks like water had been pooling from above, note the build up of rust where the top of the valve would have been? Think she sat for a period of time with water sitting in the port. I would   Say there is a riser and or manifold issue there.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 12:59pm

[QUOTE=TRBenj] [QUOTE=shierh] Say there is a riser and or manifold issue there.   

Agreed, or possibly cylinder or head water jacket
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 2:22pm
I have 281 000 miles on my 2004 Tahoe with the Vortec (326-328, not 327) motor. Those Vortec's are great. I know Joe gets over 300K before any of his stuff is broken in.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 4:04pm
Don, your Vortec is the LS design engine. No parts are compatable with the early Small Block GM design.   The LS family of engines is a ground up new design.
You are correct, they are very good.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I have 281 000 miles on my 2004 Tahoe

That is a lot of trips to the Sugar Shack!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Don, your Vortec is the LS design engine. No parts are compatable with the early Small Block GM design.   The LS family of engines is a ground up new design.
You are correct, they are very good.

They will definitely go 300k. Might need a lifter or two at some point.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 5:31pm
Maybe you can hook up the AFM on it too so that when you don't need all 8 you can save some gas
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 8:26pm
The lumpy rust is from a past riser failure or two years ago. Its gray and sooty over old rust. Except for the new rust from the blow up of course. Manifolds and risers are dry-port< 1 year old and pressure tested OK.
This is the head I never touched. I was told when I bought the engine that it was freshly reconditioned. I think it was done on the cheep, that corrosion was always under the seat and three years later the seat cracked and fell out. Knocked a nice big hole in the water jacket too.

yes, #5 exhaust.
I just picked up a good running 6.2 (383) that will be going in soon.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 9:41pm
The 383 will really wake up your boat. " Can you say, Multiple deep water barefoot starts no problem"
It is hard to believe till you drive a 383 how much difference there is between a 350 and a 383.   Horsepower is not that big a difference but the torque a 383 makes as low as 2,000 RPM's make them feel much larger. than 383 cubic inches.
I hope yours has the longer 350 5.7 inch connecting rods, it makes the engine much more reliable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic