Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

affordable marine Fiberglass epoxy resin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakemanwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemanwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: affordable marine Fiberglass epoxy resin
    Posted: April-02-2018 at 7:51pm
I wanted to let those know who are interested in replacing their stringers, floor, or just doing regular fiberglass repair on their boats that I have started to sell 1.5 gallon kits of Marine grade fiberglass epoxy resin for $75.00 on Ebay just to get some sales rolling. the price wont last forever, but its spring so if you're going to be restoring your boat, this resin is an AWESOME choice. This resin is specifically formulated for marine use and is more than tough enough for the abuse from life on the water. Also, I have personally done a stringer replacement on my own boat, so I know what you're going through! I own a '91 Nautique Excel, and an '86 Supra TS6M. I have been around boats my whole life and I know this is the product you need if you are going to be doing any fiberglass work on your boat. Even my company (Old Timer Industries) was named after my uncles 1963 century resorter, the "Old Timer".   

My boats stringer replacement:
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15768-TS6M-Stringer-Repair-pictures

My Epoxy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Gal-Kit-Marine-Grade-Epoxy-Resin-Clear-Boat-Bar-Top-fiberglass-laminating/273134024606?hash=item3f980e779e:g:i48AAOSwcFVavk3g
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by wakemanwillis wakemanwillis wrote:

IThis resin is specifically formulated for marine use

What's the difference with "marine"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemanwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:41am
What makes it "marine grade" is the way it is formulated compared to, say an encapsulating resin for wooden bar tops or a casting resin made for smaller things like jewelry. This resin is formulated for strength, flexibility, and water resistance. It is designed to be used with fiberglass fabric. There is a huge difference between epoxy resin and polyester resin. The water resistance between our resin and a normal polyester fiberglass resin is immense. On my boat, Supra used a Kevlar fabric in the fiberglass hull work, but the resin they used was polyester and within 25 years the stringers were so bad that when I cut them out if felt like the sawzall was cutting through butter. There was NOTHING left of the wood. Over the years the water was slowly absorbed into the wooden stringers through the fiberglass and that’s was all she wrote. If Supra had used our resin, The wooden structure would still be intact 30+ years later because the water resistance properties of Epoxy is amazing when compared to Polyester. Hopefully that answers your question. Let me know if want more information! I would be happy to help!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 2:41am

What makes it "marine grade" is the way it is formulated compared to, say an encapsulating resin for wooden bar tops or a casting resin made for smaller things like jewelry.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot in only your first 2 posts.

My Epoxy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Gal-Kit-Marine-Grade-Epoxy-Resin-Clear-Boat-Bar-Top-fiberglass-laminating/273134024606?hash=item3f980e779e:g:i48AAOSwcFVavk3g
Dgee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 3:54am
I can applaud you for the sales pitch but you seem very mistaken and seem fairly uneducated on composites.

First off, there are hundreds of polyester resins on the market with different formulas just like epoxy. Each will have their own strengths and weaknesses, I have a handful of resins that were formulated specifically for my company (no I'm not a boat builder) but I have a fairly good understanding of how to formulate a specific resin's properties within the lab for my specific needs.

Is this your own formula you've come up with in conjunction with a manufacturer, or an off the shelf "marine grade epoxy" that you've merely re-branded? I can tell you now there's plenty of resin formulations that could be considered "marine grade laminating resin's"

Do you have a data sheet for your product? I'd love to see it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What makes it "marine grade" is the way it is formulated compared to, say an encapsulating resin for wooden bar tops or a casting resin made for smaller things like jewelry.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot in only your first 2 posts.

My Epoxy:

Joel,
You recommend bar top epoxy for boat building!!!!

Your cost for 1.5 gal. of bar top is $75.00 and US Composites bar top 2 gal. is $67.00!!!!

Yes, epoxy resin is not hygroscopic and polyester is!!!!

How much will you be contributing to the CCfan site for the free advertising!!!!!

Maybe the Supra owners will buy the bar top epoxy!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakemanwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 5:44pm
wow, hot mic... I wasn't even sure if someone would read this... Glad to see I have some interest!
Ok, so.. with full knowledge of the distributor and completely above board, I purchase these kits, use my label on them and resell them. I am not the person who is formulating the resin. The distributor I purchase through does have qualified chemist's who formulate these products. And I can provide MSDS information on them. This product is the exact same resin that is in a well known, well tested, and well used brand. The resin itself is awesome. I know that because I have first hand experience with it and loved it. I purchased it through the distributors brand name online and was lucky enough to talk with the owner of the company who told me about their private labeling branch of the business.
As for the "bar top" in the title of the ebay listing, you can believe me or not but, that was genuinely an accident. I have two products that I am working on right now, this marine kit and a 64oz general purpose kit. which I have not released yet. The general purpose kit can be used on bar tops according to the distributor. It was late when I was building the listing, and because I had been working on the information for the other product before I built the marine listing I guess I got mixed up and didn't proof read it close enough. So, 100% my fault. That was a mis-print, so very honestly thank you for bringing it to my attention! I have already amended the listing and will be going through it to make sure I didn't miss anything else.
My understanding was that this section of the forum was for posting classified ads and so forth. If I have broken any rules of the forum I am genuinely sorry. I just know that when I was replacing the stringers on my boat I would have been interested in an affordable epoxy resin. I am really not trying to scam anyone. This product is awesome and if someone needed to do something like what I did with my boat, this is a great product at an affordable price. I thought I was just posting to the classified section... If I am in error please let me know!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 5:58pm

I can provide MSDS information on them.

I'm sorry to inform you that a MSDS is not a the requested data sheet.

So, tell me again why we should pay more for your epoxy and even a lesser amount?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Your cost for 1.5 gal. of bar top is $75.00 and US Composites bar top 2 gal. is $67.00!!!!

Also,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How much will you be contributing to the CCfan site for the free advertising!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 6:43pm
It's awesome, affordable epoxy resin. We get it. Thanks.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 12:12pm
Stuff from US Comp. is pretty good stuff. Ive used it since 2005. Fact I have some that is over 10yrs old and I used some recently and it was still good.   I believe west system is likely superior but is far more expensive.

I opted to use Vinyl Ester on my project since I got such a deal on it through the CC factory, AME 6000 bonds to old substrate about as good as epoxy and has strength properties that are about as good plus it is very water resistant.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:46pm
I think there is a market niche for very small amounts, like 8 oz.

Once in a while I need to fill a hole or CPES some wood.

I haven't found laminating epoxy in any big box store around my area.

You could make it a teaser to build your brand.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 1:48pm
Price is in line with us composites, but offers free shipping- so it’s cheaper. No harm in having options! I’d be curious to know what brand is being relabeled.
fj60erik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj60erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 2:09pm
Not to knock the original poster, but to offer an alternative in an effort to share good information.

In 2015 I bought a 3gallon kit of 2:1 ratio laminating epoxy from http://ebondepoxies.com/products-services/marine-epoxies/ for $82.00 plus tax and shipping. Came out to $102 total shipped to Bradenton Fl.

This was for a Chris Craft project I was working on. I was recommended to me by a professional boat builder and I have to say it was excellent to work with and very cost effective.

Might be an alternative for anyone looking to do a big project.

I ordered it from:
Barry Miller
Tech Service / Sales
E-Bond Epoxies, Inc.
501 NE 33 Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334
954-566-6555 Ext. 101

Hope this helps,
Erik
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic