NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You might notice that Pete did some learnin' about USCG regs in the linked thread

It's another pick on Pete Day!! Ken, Yes, I did learn something thanks' to you. I must have been misinformed by info off the internet or, come to think about it, another member who doesn't visit with us much anymore.

BTW, I did have to replace my hard line to the carb on the 302. I bought the PCM and did have to do some slight re bending at the carb since the PO put a wedge spacer under it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 1:10pm
I may try to bend the hard tube, it is new and don't want to throw it out.    Second choice would be hvac copper tube, Got to dig out my flair tool and get a new tube bender.   Last will be rubber hose.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 1:36pm
fuel line

I updated this so Pete can add this along with tubes to his cart.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I may try to bend the hard tube, it is new and don't want to throw it out.    Second choice would be hvac copper tube, Got to dig out my flair tool and get a new tube bender.   Last will be rubber hose.

Steve,
Here's a link to the pre made hard line. Scott's took me to Overtons search page and all they sell are tubes!!    I 'd stick with the pre made since it's steel. I don't know if the copper would meet the regs. I'm sure Ken would know!

BTW, how are you at making double flares? The line is inverted double flared.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

] I 'd stick with the pre made since it's steel. I don't know if the copper would meet the regs. I'm sure Ken would know!

BTW, how are you at making double flares? The line is inverted double flared.

Ken knows that the answer is in the regs and the easier reading ABYC guide.

Try page 52 of the ABYC guide.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 2:56pm
And where might we find the aforementioned guide?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:05pm

Ken knows that the answer is in the regs and the easier reading ABYC guide.

Try page 52 of the ABYC guide.

Ken,
Still going through the guide but page 52 + covers from the tank to the engine. It states "to the engine" is typically the "fuel pump". So, give me a page hint for the line from the pump to the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:07pm
You could go to a link earlier in this thread that takes you to a thread with the link or you could click right about here
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:12pm
Page 52 about 5/8 of the way down the page they cleverly tuck in the fuel pump to carburetor line.

It says

"Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine".
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:18pm
I have brass on my boat. I think it came directly from PCM a few years back.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:47pm
The off the shelf tube isn't going to be made for the wedge, original tube is designed to hook up to a carb that is angled back, move it level and its off by 12degrees.   My steel tube is New, I will try to bend it to fit otherwise copper will be second choice and Yes I did read the USGC regs and verified the type. Seamless   annealed copper which is HVAC tube.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:52pm

The off the shelf tube isn't going to be made for the wedge, original tube is designed to hook up to a carb that is angled back, move it level and its off by 12degrees.    

Steve,
You missed it:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I did have to replace my hard line to the carb on the 302. I bought the PCM and did have to do some slight re bending at the carb since the PO put a wedge spacer under it.

Again, how's your double flaring skills?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 3:53pm

Page 52 about 5/8 of the way down the page they cleverly tuck in the fuel pump to carburetor line.

It says

"Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine".

Thanks Ken. Yup, the statement is tucked in there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

fuel line

Scott, I like this one, looks well made and will take care of the bending issues plus no need for barb fittings.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

fuel line

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:11pm
Double flair only has one more step outside of a single, whats hard about that especially on copper.   The sierra part doesn't appear to be a double flair. Isnt the double for higher pressure?   got to look it up I guess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:51pm

Double flair only has one more step outside of a single, whats hard about that especially on copper.   .

Steve,
Well the last time I made a double, I'm glad I practiced on some extra tubing first. I always find that even with the gauge, getting the proper distance of tubing clamped into the flare tool is the hard part. If you make double enough, it's easy. Do you make them frequently?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 4:57pm

Double flair only has one more step outside of a single, whats hard about that especially on copper.   The sierra part doesn't appear to be a double flair. Isnt the double for higher pressure?   got to look it up I guess.

Good point on not being hard to do. Just need the correct tool. Yes on the dbl flare for high pressure. Another type uses a single flare but has a "flared sleeve" that mates up with the flared tube. We use that type on the race car a lot because you can tighten and loosen multiple times with out affecting the integrity of the tube flare.   NHRA and other sanctioning bodies allow the use of aluminum fuel lines but prohibits copper.   Don't know bout USCG. Seems to me that I read somewhere that the USCG rules only apply to waters that they govern. Different can of worms.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 5:13pm
Need to use approved stuff for the ins company. if anything happens and you have a part that isn't approved then an exclusion in the policy will likely bounce your claim.   If its USCG approved then it is insurance company approved.
I am not aware of a body of water in the US and territorial waters that are not under USCG authority.   They are the feds, trump all local and state.    
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 6:20pm

Need to use approved stuff for the ins company. if anything happens and you have a part that isn't approved then an exclusion in the policy will likely bounce your claim.   If its USCG approved then it is insurance company approved.
I am not aware of a body of water in the US and territorial waters that are not under USCG authority.   They are the feds, trump all local and state.    

Probably a smart idea to follow their regs anyway, then you are covered.

Little off topic:    Our Funny Car inlet fuel line from the tank to the pump is Aluminum 3" diameter!!   15 gallons in 5 seconds
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Eric Harrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 9:03am
Ok.. I am back .. New QFT installed.. on the 78.. runs much better.... but.. it still seems to struggle out of the whole.. could a bad pic valve prevent the secondaries from opening. I also have a lot of slack in the throttle cable.. but the carb is still going wide open..??

Anyone interested in my old 450cfm holley?

Thanks guys
Easyyelp
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 3:18pm
Eric:

If the engine runs well -- except for hole-shot -- I would look at accelerator pump and engine timing. What is your current degrees of advance at idle?

With the accelerator pump, the instant that the throttle linkage moves, the accelerator pump must start to engage. No delay. Also, there are different cam profiles that will modify how the accelerator pump engages: duration, volume, timing, etc:. You may want to watch the video below for some good tips.

VIDEO LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic