Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting a boat trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting a boat trailer?
    Posted: April-22-2018 at 6:03am
Anybody ever lift their boat trailer? My prop gaurd drags on just about everything including my driveway and it's getting annoying. My truck isn't lifted and my boat/trailer sit level. I'd rather not have the boat nose down while driving. I was thinking about going with bigger tires but clearance between the tire and fender is pretty small. Someone already added some rollers on the prop gaurd to help with the dragging. I was thinking using a ~2" block with new u bolts. Not sure if it's even possible or a bad idea? New axle with less drop is of course a possibility

Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 9:22am
I was having trouble with the tires hitting the under side of the fenders on my Supra. Even after new springs it still hit on big bumps . I made 1'' aluminum blocks to go between the axle and the springs that increased the distance between the fender and tire and also raised the trailer height by 1''. That was 10 plus years ago no problems yet.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 11:27am
Longer shackle straps will also raise the trailer easily.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 4:58pm
Both great ideas thank you! I will have to look at my trailer again and see what my options are. I'm pretty sure the spring is over the axle so a block/shackle would be an easy solution.
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 9:28pm
Lifting the trailer is easy and won't hurt anything structurally if done properly. The only disadvantage is that you will have to back your trailer further into the water. Probably not an issue, but on some ramps it could be.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 10:25pm
I needed to lift the trailer on my last boat but it was a tandem axle (leaf springs). The springs were under the axle so I had to do it by making longer shackles. It worked well but did require a lot of fab work and the purchase of another set of bolts - not the way I would have gone if the springs were above.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 8:43am
Trevor,
Have you considered castors on the prop guard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 10:44am

Also, note the prop guard has been lowered for better clearance to the prop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Hagan Hagan wrote:

. Someone already added some rollers on the prop gaurd to help with the dragging.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Hagan Hagan wrote:

. Someone already added some rollers on the prop gaurd to help with the dragging.

My ADD strikes again! Kevin thanks for the heads up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 11:41am
Obviously pictures of the guys trailer would go a loooong way towards helping us help him.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Obviously pictures of the guys trailer would go a loooong way towards helping us help him.

I've been known to miss things in pictures too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 1:27pm
What about lowering the hitch ball.   
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

What about lowering the hitch ball.   

Hagan said in initial post
" My truck isn't lifted and my boat/trailer sit level. I'd rather not have the boat nose down while driving"

He may end up having to live with it.   Pictures as several others have stated.
On another note*** it looked like in Petes picture of somebodies rig that it had a lot of prop clearance and did not need that much drop.   Just my observation, probably I'm wrong cause that is a lot of effort if you don't need the room
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 5:49pm
I worry about raising the prop gaurd. It has a little bit of clearance but not sure if it's worth it if there is a possibility of contact.

Having a hard time posting pics...

Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 2:16am

That's the day I bought it. I'm now using a 6" drop ball mount that levels the boat/trailer. 1st pic is the sellers pic
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 3:05am
Wow. And I thought mine was kinda low.....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 7:18am
Trevor,
Wow, looks like a PO has been at it with cutting and welding. If it was me, I'd cut and weld again only higher just so there's clearance when the boat is on the trailer. When on the ramp loading or unloading there's more clearance due to the angle of the trailer. How's your tongue weight? I ask because the boat looks like it's sitting pretty far forward on the trailer. If the weight is good, I'd also be tempted to shorten the trailer which would help some going over curbs and dips.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 11:39am
Looking at the second pic again, there appears to be 5 or 6 inches of space between the tip of the rudder and the trailer frame. Pete is correct in that all you need to worry about is an inch or so, while it sits on the trailer - the angle difference gives you much more on the ramp.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Hagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:54am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Trevor,
Wow, looks like a PO has been at it with cutting and welding. If it was me, I'd cut and weld again only higher just so there's clearance when the boat is on the trailer. When on the ramp loading or unloading there's more clearance due to the angle of the trailer. How's your tongue weight? I ask because the boat looks like it's sitting pretty far forward on the trailer. If the weight is good, I'd also be tempted to shorten the trailer which would help some going over curbs and dips.

Thanks! I think I will just raise the prop gaurd. There really is no reason it needs to be that low to the ground. I'd prefer not lifting my trailer. I cant remember what my tongue weight is but I do recall I can barely pick it up by hand. Similar to my empty car trailer. What I dont get is they used a 3500lb axle for a 3500lb boat/trailer

Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Looking at the second pic again, there appears to be 5 or 6 inches of space between the tip of the rudder and the trailer frame. Pete is correct in that all you need to worry about is an inch or so, while it sits on the trailer - the angle difference gives you much more on the ramp.

I will double check and take some measurements then I can cut and weld it up higher.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic