NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1985 2001 with 454 - dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Ian Ian wrote:

[QUOTE=JoeinNY]

Only modification was the tower.

Thanks!

Really? I would have guessed the interior was redone in a non original style and that the exterior stripe had been painted and somewhat custom graphics applied? Maybe im off
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

[QUOTE=JoeinNY]

Thanks!

Really? I would have guessed the interior was redone in a non original style and that the exterior stripe had been painted and somewhat custom graphics applied? Maybe im off

The exterior just has a vinyl wrap. Easy to remove.

I forgot about the interior. I haven't seen the boat in so long that I forgot about that.

I'm not concerned with the value, as I'm not looking to sell, just looking at a starting point for negotiating with the service manager.
'85 2001 454
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 2:00pm

[QUOTE=Ian] [QUOTE=JoeinNY]

Thanks!

The exterior just has a vinyl wrap. Easy to remove.

I forgot about the interior. I haven't seen the boat in so long that I forgot about that.

I'm not concerned with the value, as I'm not looking to sell, just looking at a starting point for negotiating with the service

Imho on that boat -2k plus or minus
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 2:04pm

Imho on that boat -2k plus or minus

Thanks!
'85 2001 454
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 2:22pm
Probably should be taking a test run before doing any price negotiations,if you haven't already
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Probably should be taking a test run before doing any price negotiations,if you haven't already

Oh no, they still aren't done with it. So I can't really share much detail here until I know how this is gonna go.

But when they finally get done, I'll demand to go on the lake test with them before any invoice discussions happen.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 3:59pm
They just called and said it needs a new distributor. Where can I get a good, marine grade distributor for the 454?

I'm about to start googling, because they're telling me they can't find one.
'85 2001 454
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:07pm
I loved the DUI distributor on my 351W, but they are pricey!
DUI Marine Dist.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Poster112 Poster112 wrote:

I loved the DUI distributor on my 351W, but hey are pricey!
DUI Marine Dist.

Will that work on my pre 1990 454? I'm told it needs the vacuum hookup for the timing advance.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:10pm
like this one, but for marine use.

distributor
'85 2001 454
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:17pm
not sure. good luck with your search!

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Poster112 Poster112 wrote:

Mine was on an electronic ingnition-fitted 1978 351W Commader. This particular model would not work with points ignition.

Is "points ingnition" marine approved?
'85 2001 454
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:18pm
Time to find a new shop. Why did they tell you that you need a vacuum advance one, and what's wrong with the current one
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

Time to find a new shop. Why did they tell you that you need a vacuum advance one, and what's wrong with the current one

They're saying it's advancing the timing too far at high RPM and they are concerned with detonation
'85 2001 454
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:25pm
This one fits, but its $320: https://www.jegs.com/i/DUI/314/M12720BK/10002/-1
The one I posted earlier was for EFI engines.

I would find out what the issue is before I dropped any money on a new one.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:28pm

They're saying it's advancing the timing too far at high RPM and they are concerned with detonation

To be clear on this no marine distributors have vacuum advance and the shop should know that
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:31pm
A distributor shop can put different springs in to limit advance, or just install a stop for that matter.

Would be cheaper than a new dizzy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:45pm
Found the correct marine distributor, ordered it. I will be picking up my boat today, and not allowing Tommy's to touch it again. I have found a very highly recommended shop who will double check their work before I run it.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:49pm

To be clear on this no marine distributors have vacuum advance and the shop should know that

Correct. The distributor that was on there is not marine. I did not know that before. I'm putting a proper one on. No vacuum advance.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

A distributor shop can put different springs in to limit advance, or just install a stop for that matter.

Would be cheaper than a new dizzy.

Now that I know that the old distributor was not marine grade, I'm going to upgrade to a marine grade one.
'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 4:53pm
Wonder what else on the engine is non-marine. I don't think this is going to be the end of this story.

I would for sure be telling them they can keep the engine I didn't order at this point. You're paying them for someone that isn't even right that you didn't want in the first place.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wonder what else on the engine is non-marine. I don't think this is going to be the end of this story.

I would for sure be telling them they can keep the engine I didn't order at this point. You're paying them for someone that isn't even right that you didn't want in the first place.

Yeah, they're gonna take back all their ***************ed up ***************, and I'll be taking my boat and doing it my damn self.
'85 2001 454
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 5:06pm
I agree, and why are you out shopping for parts for this goon garage??? I don't get it... Anyway, you've heard plenty of suggestions and reasons not to take this bacerd build and you continue on.. Invoice discussion ????
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I agree, and why are you out shopping for parts for this goon garage??? I don't get it... Anyway, you've heard plenty of suggestions and reasons not to take this bacerd build and you continue on.. Invoice discussion ????

I shopped for parts for it because I wasn't gonna pay their mark-up price on anything.

I'm going to go pick up my boat this afternoon when I leave work. Then I'll finish what they couldn't figure out how to do.
'85 2001 454
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 6:33pm
I had a similar thing happen many years ago on a car. Went into an chain transmission shop to have a seal replaced, they insisted to replace them all as opposed to the one that was leaking. In the end they ended destroying the complete transaxle. Got a lawyer, he told me to get it out of there. Towed it to a dealer, parts in boxes,8k in today’s money later I had my car back. Took them to court, they did not want to settle and I won. Judge asked the trans shop mechanic how they learned to fix them he said they watched videos. Dealer mechanic said they spent a week at a company training center taking them apart and putting them back together. Just a FYI
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 8:03pm
All is settled. I have the boat back. The service manager was very understanding, and when presented my case to him, he was happy to meet me at my requests.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 10:04pm
Can a mod please delete this thread? Or censor all references to Tommy's?

We came to an agreement that I was comfortable with, and I'd like the shop's name redacted, as I have no intention to participate in a smear campaign.

Thanks!
'85 2001 454
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 10:11pm
Glad everything worked out to your satisfaction   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic