NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wtd: new cover for my '93 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wtd: new cover for my '93 SN
    Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:35pm
Hey guys

Ok, I told myself I was going to get a new cover for my boat this spring, as it sits out at our campsite for most of the summer, and with the original "snap" on cover, it seems to leak in a bit of rain water, and dampness, which my vinyl doesn't like. With that said, I have also installed a wake tower and bimini last year, so I need something that will work around (or in relation to) the tower and bimini mount brackets. I'm not looking to break the bank, but would prefer something that covers from front "nose" of boat all the way to the back. rather than from windshield on back, like it is now. Any help, or insight/input would be great. Thanks   

Here's a few pics of what I have to work around for a cover:

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 8:05pm
Call Angola canvas. They will have the pattern see f they can add the tower holes.

If they can adjust the cover for the tower you can get the standard cover and get it adjusted locally.

Or just find a local cover maker and get a quote from them.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 8:43pm
what about something like this:

https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/windstorm-boat-covers/i/ski-boat-tournament-w-tower/22'6%22--LENGTH--102%22--WIDTH.html

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

what about something like this:

https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/windstorm-boat-covers/i/ski-boat-tournament-w-tower/22'6%22--LENGTH--102%22--WIDTH.html

Direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:09pm
National was the brand I was looking at last fall, before I bought a tower as well. Looked again afterward and was curious if those would work as well. Looking today I see they've started selling a new competing material to Sunbrella that looks to be even better and also less expensive. I haven't heard any feedback about the brand, fit or overall quality.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:23pm
So far National has been very helpful. I emailed a person named Mary, who works with custom fit covers. Anyway, I sent her 3 photos of my boat and tower, and she sent me a diagram to take some specific measurements. She said they'll surely find a cover that will fit perfect. Price is decent too. So I am taking measurements tonight, and should hear back from them tomorrow.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:03am
You really want the cover to fit. Does national have the acctual pattern for your boat or are they going on the basic dimensions.

If it is just a general sized cover I'd spend the little more on something that was made to fit.

If it is an exact fit, those are good prices.
96 Super Sport
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:55am
Yep, totally agree. I want the cover to fit well. I spoke with their sales person..and she said their covers start out life as what they call a "perfect fit" cover. dependent on your year, make, model, etc. Then if you say you have a wake or ski tower, then you have to give them 6 measurements starting with the front of boat, down gunwale to center of front tower post, and on and on. They then put together what they call a "custom fit" cover for you. You can choose a cover that goes just back to the rear of the boat, or a cover that goes all the way down and over the swim platform..

So I am now going through the steps, and see what they come back with for me tomorrow.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 6:44pm

Yep, totally agree. I want the cover to fit well. I spoke with their sales person..and she said their covers start out life as what they call a "perfect fit" cover. dependent on your year, make, model, etc. Then if you say you have a wake or ski tower, then you have to give them 6 measurements starting with the front of boat, down gunwale to center of front tower post, and on and on. They then put together what they call a "custom fit" cover for you. You can choose a cover that goes just back to the rear of the boat, or a cover that goes all the way down and over the swim platform..

So I am now going through the steps, and see what they come back with for me tomorrow.

I really don't think these covers are custom fit. I think they take the length and beam and build a 'ski boat style' cover. You will have issue with keeping the boat dry with this cover.

This is the difference between buying a suit off the rack based on waist and chest size and getting a custom fit suit.
96 Super Sport
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2018 at 1:36pm
Well, I bought a cover that will cover my boat from stem to stern, including the swim platform from National..BUT I did not buy the one "cut for a tower" I bought the direct fit for my boat without a tower..and I found a local upholstery shop that does boat covers and interiors, and they said, they'd be able to design cut and sew the areas to fit exactly around the tower legs. So that's the route I am going. They will be using a combination of 2 inch wide velcro and then nylon strapping with lock clips at each "leg". Said it would run me about $150 to have it done. That's do-able.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2018 at 6:03pm
Good to know, thanks for the update!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 11:28am

Well, I bought a cover that will cover my boat from stem to stern, including the swim platform from National..BUT I did not buy the one "cut for a tower" I bought the direct fit for my boat without a tower..and I found a local upholstery shop that does boat covers and interiors, and they said, they'd be able to design cut and sew the areas to fit exactly around the tower legs. So that's the route I am going. They will be using a combination of 2 inch wide velcro and then nylon strapping with lock clips at each "leg". Said it would run me about $150 to have it done. That's do-able.

Please report back when you get the cover on. I am interested to see how it fits.

96 Super Sport
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 6:05pm
Yep, I'll post photos once I have it and the cover fit to my tower. Again, I am hoping for an excellent outcome, as I just got an email today from National that there covers are indeed made one at a time, per customers spec...so mine is being created now, and should ship on May 10th. Once I have it, my boat and the cover goes to my local boat upholstery shop to do the holes for the tower legs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 7:18pm
Dan,
I'm anxious as well to see how it turns out and fits since I'm in need of a new one for my 64 X55. I'm concerned about how well they can get a fit after seeing in their pictures all the bungees they use to pull the cover tight.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:51pm

Again, I am hoping for an excellent outcome, as I just got an email today from National that there covers are indeed made one at a time, per customers spec...so mine is being created now, and should ship on May 10th.

Whats the return policy if you are not happy with the fit? I do believe the covers are custom made according to the length and beam of the boat but I spent a lot of time on there site and nothing indicates they have the actual boat measurements.

96 Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 10:18pm
With National, if you catch them when it says "in stock" you're probably OK. But if there is the 7 day wait while they manufacturer it for you, it may be difficult to return. If they take it back, they might charge you a restocking fee.   To be sure, I'd call their customer service.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:27am
Here's what I know...I called them....didn't order it online. Spoke to a very nice person. She said..yes, they first take your boat length (stem to stern) and your beam width. As most places do..but then she wanted to know my Year, Make and Model. She said she would then check with the production dept. and get back to me via email. She emailed the next morning, and said "we have your pattern, and can make you boat cover, if you'd like to place the order." I said YES. SO...with that said, I am just waiting now. I got an email this morning that said my order has moved into production and should be finished by May 10th.

I do also know, from what the lady on the phone told me when I asked about warranty and returns. The cover I ordered (Windstorm material by Sunbrella) comes with a 10 year warranty. She also said they have a "no hassle" return policy for 30 days..so if it doesn't fit, or isn't to my specifications, they'll take it back for 30 days. After 30 days it would incur a 20% restocking fee.

So again, I am eagerly awaiting my order. I'll post more details and photos when I get the cover. With a 5 star rating on the cover material, plus the excellent Better Business Bureau rating for this company, I am pretty hopeful.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 2:38am
Did the cover come in?
96 Super Sport
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 12:25pm
Yep, it did indeed arrive about 4-5 days ago. I had time to unbox it, but the cover is still in it's bag in my garage. I have been pulling double shifts at work, and running around for my kids, I haven't had time yet to put it on the boat. I have scheduled a date for a local guy that does custom boat and cycle upholstery to do the slots for my tower. I should be able to see the finished product in the next week.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 2:14pm
Good luck - I had one made from Angola with sides that extend to the water line and over the platform. I have since had it re-worked to cover the stern down to the platform but not the platform. My boat sits on a lift and with covering the platform the cover was a PIA to put on.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic