Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing the throttle linkage spring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the throttle linkage spring
    Posted: April-30-2018 at 11:07pm
1986 Silver Nautique with original Ford 351 and a Holly carb.

Every Fall I dive into some replacement/repair/rebuild project on the boat. 2 years ago I replaced all the hoses and battery cables. Last year it was new ground and power wires to the dash, rewiring the dash and a new horn This year it's been fixing some annoying engine issues; not cranking when I turn the key (neutral safety switch slightly out of alignment), hesitation when hitting the throttle (adjust the accelerator pump), choke not working (new bimetallic spring thing, throat plate adjustment still slightly off but boat fires right up). Boat gets hard to start after an hour or two skiing (carb spacer gasket. Hopefully fixed, won't know for a month or so). Been mostly lurking for years and always find the information I need here for each project.

Whenever I'm working on the engine, I see that rusty original throttle linkage spring. Finally decided to get a new one, hopefully in stainless steel. Been looking for two days off and on and can't find anything that looks as long as that original spring. I didn't measure it, but it must be 8" long end to end, with the spring itself around 4". Currently it's wrapped around an engine bolt at one end. I'd much rather hook it to some type of bracket.

Anyone replace this spring? Install a new bracket? And if so, where did you buy it? Does a new one really have to match the original spring length? I've seen some shorter versions in SS that might do the job, like the Lokar SRK-4002, the thinner one of the pair. Some are attached to a bracket bolted to a stud on the carb, others to a bracket that bolts to the engine.

Thanks,
Andrew
Builder
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:31am
Hmmm.... extension spring?   Post a pic if you can. I've only had one carb'd boat (not Ford based) but I've seen many others on some buddies boats and I don't recall a spring like that. The ones I've seen are a coil type.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:50am

Pretty old picture, but it shows the spring. Look to the left of the engine tag and up a touch, next to the red cable.
Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:57am

Another old picture. you can see where the spring hooks to the throttle plate at the bottom of the picture.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 9:56am
I've used a Dorman 59002 spring kit in the link below for making replacement throttle return springs.

Not chrome, but pretty easy to make something that works using the longer pieces in the kit.

The coiled section isn't as long, but with some tweaking it worked good.

Link
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:08pm
I did not bother putting it back on. Not sure what purpose it serves other than a safety if the throttle cable breaks and the carburetor spring is also broken. My thinking is that if your stuff is in that bad of shape then you have other problems besides this.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:10pm
One observation from the photos of your engine is that you have single claim on Exhaust.   I like double claim when using the type of hose claims used on these engines. I think it is required or was required to double up the exhaust claims all the way to the discharge.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:46pm

If the spring is nothing special, I will replace it with one of the SS ones from Lokar and fab up a simple bracket from some SS I have laying around. Since it was originally there, I would rather have it than not.

Those are 10 plus year old photos, I installed new exhaust hoses a couple of years ago, but with single clamps. Thanks for the advice on the double clamps, I will install them this weekend.   Photo from last year shows new exhaust hose, up sized battery cables and added ground and power wires.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:00pm
It's nothing special, you just have to make sure you get the tension to your satisfaction.

Too much tension and the throttle will start closing if you take your hand off the control lever.

Some people like it like that, others would rather be able to let go and have it stay right there.

The spring also helps to be sure the throttle returns to the idle position every time and doesn't hang open a little bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 9:32pm
I bought the "Lokar SRK-4000 Stainless Steel Carburetor Bracket and Spring" on Amazon. Did the job nicely, I mounted the bracket to one of the studs on the Holley carb. I ended up using both springs, one did not seem to add enough tension. And I doubled up on the exhaust hose pipe clamps.
Thanks for the advice.
Andrew
Builder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic