NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160 float valves

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley 4160 float valves
    Posted: May-04-2018 at 11:33am
The Holley kit I purchased is by and large what I need but the float needles are a different style - maybe automotive?

Do I need to get the original style from somewhere (I've not been able to find the oem style) to be coast guard compliant or should I just get the new style hardware parts (below)?

new style hardware

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 12:09pm
You didn't buy the right kit, you bought one for a carburetor with externally adjustable floats.

You can get the needle valve and seat you need separately from a variety of places.

If you bought the stuff in your link, you'd still need to buy new float bowls to go with those parts.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:22pm
I'm not certain I follow. The top item in the picture is the new externally adjustable one. The next two below that are original externally adjustable ones - or at least the ones I removed from the carb that was on the motor. I believe the new would work but the seals and lock nut are different and not compatible. I also cannot find a source from holley web page or otherwise for the original style.

Are these supposed to be internally adjustable float valves only? My kit also came with a couple of a very different style which I was speculating looked like internally adjustable. I think I need different hardware for those as well.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:36pm
Is it possible the item in the top (and bottom) of your photo is an INternally adjustable n/s.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:39pm
Yeah I can't even find a picture of the style that was installed originally on my carb -- I'm assuming an old aftermarket part. I am also seeing the welch plugged versions of the 4160 online installed on PCM motors.

So does USCG dictate they must be internal / plugged? I did find pictures of marine carbs with the candy cane vents that had external adjustments...

How about the sight holes -- are those ok on the water?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:44pm
The top part I think is a different version of what is in the below picture. Mine has the threading for this style in the 4160 bowl casting.

The hardware for this float style also came in the pack -- Sounds like this is what the original carb came with.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 2:45pm
Now I'm beginning to understand what you're saying.

You have externally adjustable floats and the new needle and seat assembly look different and you think they might work............or maybe not.

And the problem is that the threaded area is a different diameter?

Your last picture on the bottom is the internally adjustable type that came along later.

I'll have to look at some pieces parts to see what I have, but there are definitely still kits around with the right threads on the assembly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 3:38pm
I looked at my pile of externally adjustable needle and seat assemblies.

They're the same as what came in your kit, (The top and bottom ones in your first picture)

If the new one screws into the bowl, then the adjusting nut and screw you linked to on EBAY earlier should solve your problem unless you have some weird bowls too.

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those really thick adjusting nuts like you have.

I'd put a picture here but I'm kinda challenged by this version of the forum that doesn't have Keith's custom touches.

What's the list number on your carburetor?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 9:03am
Here's a picture of the needle and seat with the adjusting nut and lockscrew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic