Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick fuel m-600

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rrman01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick fuel m-600
    Posted: May-08-2018 at 12:13am
So back in May 16 I rebuilt my engine 351 on my 1994 ski and went with the quick fuel m-600 and dui setup and the boat has ran strong ever since until today. I pulled it out run it for the first time this season here in Texas and the engine starts , won’t iddle but will allow higher rpms up too 4000, it runs for a few minute or less and bogs down and just dies. Funny thing is it starts right back up with a little pump of the throttle and does the exact same thing. So far to trouble shoot I drained the fuel water separator into a clear bottle and the fuel was yellow and smelt good with no water at all. I disconnect the fuel line to the cab and tested the Manuel fuel pump which is also new with the rebuild in May 16 and it spit fuel out fine into a bucket . I’m stumped on this one the only thing I can see to cause this is a clogged jet or stuck float something internally In The carb itself . I last started the boat in December on the hose and rain it for 10 mins or so before I put in storage . I guess my question here is is the fuel we are buying at the pump really that bad for these carbs to cause issues in 5 months of sitting. I’m stumped and have never had a fuel issue in that short amount of time. I even checked to make sure something didn’t crawl up in the fuel tank vent valve and clog up causing a vacuum . I know there are a lot knowledge on this site so any suggestion before I tear this carb off and send it in would be great . It’s 90 here this week and it’s time to get out I the water
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 1:26am
Did you store the fuel with stabilizer? Did you have ethanol (E-10) in the tank/carb? Can you see fuel in the float bowl sight windows when the engine bogs down and dies? If you can't see fuel in the sight window, then likely culprits are needle valve or fuel pump. When the engine RPMs drop, the fuel consumption is reduced and the float bowls fill back up. At higher RPMs, the float bowl is emptied and the in-flow doesn't keep up, causing the bog and die.

The QF M-600 is very;easy to take apart. You could pull the carb, remove the primary and secondary metering blocks and clean everything out. That will also give you access to the float assemblies to see if they are working properly. You could flush everything out with carb cleaner. You may even want to pull your air bleeds. Just make sure that you keep track of which air bleeds go into each specific hole. Same for the main and secondary jets. If the engine is not idling well, pay particular attention to the idle circuit. See if that does the trick...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 8:45am
You say it won't idle.

Is this because it's dumping too much gas down the carburetor or is it running out of gas.

Why don't you hook up a small temporary tank to the fuel pump and run it and see what happens.

It'll tell you if it's a tank/suction hose problem or a pump/carburetor problem.

And...............remember, when you think it's a fuel problem there's a good chance it's ignition related     

Hard to tell from your description, but I'd look for vacuum leaks around the carburetor mounting gaskets too.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 8:52am
You might also check for spark when it dies.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic