NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The boat-search begins

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The boat-search begins
    Posted: May-08-2018 at 8:31pm
Ok, so, this is more of a vent than anything. BUT, I'm planning on a boat for next season. The goal is a family boat that I could also ski behind, but not necessarily on the course. So, as the story goes, I bought my Sport Nautique from this site a number of years ago, and with an impending move to FLA, sold it on this site a few years later. Had use of a salt water boat for the 3 years in FLA. Now we've relo'd to CT and it's time to start thinking ski boat again. The kiddies are going on 6. They like the water. Wifey likes the water. The move to western CT has resulted in not living ON the water (first for me in 17 years ), so, as much as it pains me to say it, I will likely be slumming the boat behind the wagon. So, my thoughts are: 1. A SNOB, 2. Southwind OB, 3. Another Sport, and 4. Martinique OB.

The latter two would likely result in getting a slip. I can just get away with trailering the first two, as well as SN's. My thinking is the CB's are just not as practical with kids..as they bring more of their own...

Lake Zoar would likely be the haunt. Naturally, Mamansco, which is right down the street, would be frowned upon ;-)

Anyway, thanks for listening...

Ultra...
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 9:46pm
Well good luck with your search!       I know which one (or 2) that I'd be looking at .... but then my kids are grown and gone so that kinda makes it a bit easier for me.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:02am
What are you towing with? I would think a sport is a pretty easy tow and would be family friendly and ski friendly. Over a Martinique or south wind for sure.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

What are you towing with? I would think a sport is a pretty easy tow and would be family friendly and ski friendly. Over a Martinique or south wind for sure.

Volvo. XC70. 3300 lb towing cap.

The sport would be the first choice, but it's dry weight is 2700 lbs or so, plus trailer, gear, fuel, etc...just not gonna happen for trailering. Hence the smaller-boat options...SN, SNOB...
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 3:07pm
Based on your situation I think a SNOB makes the most sense.   I’ll be honest, I love my ‘89 Ski, but it gets pretty cramped with a few people and gear. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with search!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 3:31pm
I’d recommend crawling all around a SNOB before putting it on the short list. They had to make the cockpit smaller and reduce under bow storage significantly in order to gain that small, shallow playpen OB. The concept never made much sense to me, the CB feels roomier and has more storage (and is more common so it costs less- not to mention looks better).

Sport, SW and MQ are all going to push the limits of your tow vehicle... heck even a 19’6” SN on a trailer will exceed that 3300lb limit before you add fluids or gear. How far/often will you be towing?
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 3:45pm
How about a Sport 200? Tower folds, trailer tongue folds, platform is removable. Very towable.   Nice wake for slalom and comfortable for your family.

How do you like blue?

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 3:49pm
Never been in a SNOB....good comments.... It could be the compromise is a 2001 and deal with the space issue. If I'm lucky, kiddies will be on to other things in a few years, and I get my ski boat back ;-)
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 7:13pm
When I had my 97 SNOB, I never thought it was small inside. Until I got in another one of the same generation that was a closed bow. I was SHOCKED at how much more room the closed bows have. The open bow is good for a couple of kids, but that's about it.

Rob
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 7:29pm
I found your boat: SN 216
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2018 at 11:18pm
Well, I may be partial, but, I like the Martinique OB. LOTS of room, and storage. Of course with your kids, they are going to want to bring their friends. And, you may want to bring another family with their kids. The Martinique will handle that very well.

The not so good is the slalom ski-ability. BIG wake. But, if you just want to free ski, its not bad. I like the SW OB too, and even had one in the past, but, they are getting hard to find in good shape. These boats are heavy though. You may need to upgrade the tow vehicle, or keep the boat close to the lake and just tow short distances.
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 12:18pm
My (biased) 2 cents... LOVE the Martinique OB. This weekend we had loaded up with 8 people, and still pulled a skier. Felt like it was going to pull my arms off. Loved every second of it! Tons of storage. Comfy seats for everyone (even the 8 people). The other thing I like is the deeper walls for the little, little kids. Sounds like yours wouldn't be too much to worry about at age 5-7. It is a bigger boat. No getting around that, so towing options would need to be figured out.

Also worth noting that the Martinique I am running is a 454 I can't speak for how the 351's run and pull. But, if yourself in Western, PA on a weekend-- I'd give a pull and show for you to get an idea if the Martinique would be right for you!
1988 Correct Craft Martinique B/R, PCM 454, ~577 HRS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic