Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of Electric to the dash

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of Electric to the dash
    Posted: May-09-2018 at 8:23pm
Hello, I have a 1989 SN 2001 and towards the end of last season I started having an electrical issue. I turn the key in the ignition and the starter clicks but then all power is lost to the dash. It doesn't happen every time and unhooking the battery seems to reset it. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what the issue could be?

Thanks!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 8:41pm
From what I understand the wiring harness connector (engine compartment) is prone to having issues over time. if I'm not mistaking, the power to the dash comes from a red?? wire within the harness. I'd start by checking if you have power before and after the connector. I'm getting ready to swap mine out due to a couple of these pin failures. But you may be able to fix the issue by thoroughly cleaning the contacts and apply some dielectric grease to help with further corrosion.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 9:01pm
Grayden,
Have you cleaned your battery posts and the battery cable terminals with a terminal/post wire type cleaner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 9:40pm
Sounds like whatever cable you're disconnecting and reconnecting has a lousy dirty connection that can pass a small amount of current like the current to the coil in the solenoid but not a large amount of current like what the starter draws..

I'd combine the 2 posts above and use the diagram below to give all your cable connections a good cleaning to prevent future problems too,and don't forget the spot where the negative battery cable is bolted to the block

When you're done you'll understand your electrical system a lot better

Diagram courtesy of TRB productions It should be just like your wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic