Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1998 Ski Nautique Starts/Stops, no constant run
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1998 Ski Nautique Starts/Stops, no constant run

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chicoman88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicoman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1998 Ski Nautique Starts/Stops, no constant run
    Posted: May-10-2018 at 12:12pm
I bought a 98' Ski Nautique this year that had not been used much in recent years. The seller had it de-winterized before putting it up for sale and said it ran great (of course). I got it and the second time I had it out it died on me after it had been run for a while and warmed up. Then I started it back up and it immediately died. Started it again, it did its initial up-rev and died again. Then on the 3rd or 4th time it started and kept running like normal.
I thought maybe it was bad fuel from sitting for quite some time and not being used much, so I topped it off with new fuel and added sea foam for the next trip out. It went without incident.
A couple weeks later we were headed out again and backed down the ramp to launch and the boat would start, do its rev-up and then immediately die. Repeat about 6 times.
It finally started and ran like normal so we headed across the lake to our spot (about a 5-10 minute drive). About 100 yards away from the beach it cuts out and dies. Then I re-start it, it starts, revs up and immediately dies. Repeat 6 or 8 times. Then it starts and runs like a champ until the end of the day, when the cycle repeats again.
The problem is sporadic and impossible to duplicate. So far I've replaced both fuel relays and the fuel filter but couldn't get out before the weather turned to see if that fixed it. Both fuel pumps seem to be running fine as you can hear them fine when you turn the key. I'm pretty confident it's not the kill switch.
Another notable trait is that it seems to rev higher and longer than it should upon initial start-up, and takes a while to come back down to normal running rpm. I'm not sure if that's related or not. I know the GT-40's, and most others, do rev a bit on start up, but it seems higher and longer than normal.
Other options I'm checking into further are the anti siphon valve and the idle air control
Update:
I went to get my boat ready for summer today after it was winterized. I replaced the emergency kill switch today just in case it was an issue too. Put new belts on and went to start it up and... it started and revved up for a second and turned itself back off. After repeating that several times it would not stay running. It starts, revs for a second and shuts itself off. I replaced the battery terminals and put a new connection on the wire coming off the positive terminal, as I’’d heard that was a common problem (called the stay run wire or something like that). Still no luck, it continues to start and then shut itself off. I checked the fuel pressure, it’s at 40 when it pressures up and goes to 45 when it fires and then goes back to 40.
Seems like maybe the computer is shutting it off. It doesn’t have a crank position sensor.
Any other suggestions?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 7:18pm
Sounds like you and Ken have a good start on it from the poorman's posting. Seems to me the GT40's were pretty reliable while they were new, but as they age a multitude of issues can arise and most are a pain to diagnose. Though your symptoms could easily be one or more of the many electrical gremlins that folks encounter, on the surface it still sounds like a fuel issue to me. I'm curious, though you said you were going to add some seafoam at one point, exactly how long was the fuel in the tank, and have you run through ALL of that fuel yet? Gasoline breaks down over time and most people don't understand exactly how fast it can happen. A tank of gas can break down to be very unreliable in as little as 6 months, and could also be nearly useless in 2 years, even with a seafoam additive. I've also seen fuel so dirty that it had clogged up the pick-up in the tank. I don't know about the Nautique pick-ups, but if there is a screen on the pick-up it is a possibility and a visual check of the tank may not be enough.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic