Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help! 84 not starting.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help! 84 not starting.
    Posted: July-25-2006 at 8:38pm
Ok guys, finally unwrapped and cleaned-up the old 84.
(Unfourtunately, it wasn't uncovered or started at all last year.)
I put a fully charged battery back in & reconnected everything. Squirted some Marvel Mystery in cyls & went to tap key to spin engine but all I get is a "click" at the solenoid.
On the meter I've got +12v's at the cable going into the noid, but nothing coming out on the other cable?
Tried a screwdriver accross the cables - got some sparks but nothing else?
Any suggestions on which way to go would be much appreciated!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 12:40am
Check the simple stuff...look at your connections...bat cables and terminals...cable at the starter as well...clean um and try again.
Starter may have a dead spot and may be hung up there...turn the crank by hand a tad, lighty tap the top of the starter with hammer and then try.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 8:19am
Thanks Stang, I'll give it a try (Nothing looked that corroded though.).
I'll pull all cables, clean, and reconnect to see what happens.
Make sure I got it right:
Even w/ key off I should have 12v's to solonoid and screwdriver across should spin starter?
Are ya thinking it's on the starter side if I do this and only get sparks?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 8:46am
Stang 72 is straight on. More than once I have seen this happen from the battery connections not being tight enough. First thing I would do is rotate over by hand (w/breaker bar if need be) to assure myself it was not the worst case.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 10:48am
And "worst case" would be??
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:02am
Making sure the engine is not seized...and there is no reason at this point to think it is!
Btw...how many cranking amps does the bat have?

stang

The Super Air

bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:07am
So when you jumped out the solenoid nothing happened except sparks.Sounds like a good connection to me.Did the starter even try to hit when you jumped it out?If it did then your problem is the solenoid.How old is the battery?If your battery is real old it could have a dead cell in it.If its good then my bet is the solenoid.That is if the engine turns,when you had it out last.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:17am
Can you try using your car battery to see if your boat battery is completely toasted? Got to bring that beauty to life!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:31am
Sure...if it has the CCA to turn that engine....650CCA or higher is what you need.
stang

The Super Air

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 12:49pm
I'll try some things tonight.
Clean all connections.
Crank engine by hand (Pull plugs right?)
Give the starter a little whack.
Engine ran fine when it was winterized 2 years ago. Battery seemed ok w/ +12 volts on the meter at the solonoid.
When I crossed w/ screwdriver, Starter didn't even try to move. Ignition just clicks soloniod.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks for the usual great suggestions from this site!
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 1:09pm
Take the battery and get it load tested first.Just because you have 12 volts on the battery does not mean its good.Your putting the cart before the horse.All that other stuff your going to try does'nt mean nothing unless the battery is good!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 2:23pm
No need to remove spark plugs....with it in neutral...just turn it(once around) the direction your prop is...most likely ...when looking from the stern..clockwise(if you have rt hand prop).
stang

The Super Air

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 3:39pm
Can you turn this by hand or do I need a large socket on the bolt at bottom front of engine?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 3:48pm
large socket on the bottom bolt with a breaker bar would be good, not likely to be able to turn it by hand
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 3:51pm
Turn it using a large socket....be sure turn the direction as mention ed above...clockwise (looking from the stern)if you have a rt hand prop.
This will get your marvel working for you and will be easier to crank...it may move the starter off a dead spot. If you lightly tap the top of the starter with a hammer...have someone turn the ign for you and tap a few times while attemping to start...that usually will move it off a dead spot.
stang

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 10:52am
Turning the engine by hand will do nothing to the starter...it is not engaged.

My thoughts are that the starter is bad from moisture. Pull the starter and have it rebuilt or open it up and clean it up. You can also test the starter motor by apply 12v directly to the motor while on the work bench. Be carefull and clamp it down first somehow.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 11:58am
1. Try turning by hand.
2. Have the battery load tested
3. Apply 12V across the starter while it's still connected to the engine using a charged battery and jumper cables.
4. Try pulling the plugs and cranking the engine.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 5:27pm
Didn't get a chance last night, but heading out now to see what happens.
Wish me luck!

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 9:21pm
Welp, a little less sweat dripping off my brow.
I did get her to crank - So I'm not seized up!
First cleaned all connections & it still just clicked.
Then used a jump starter direct to starter and it cranked .
Reconnected starter cable, tried ignition and it cranked again.
But, tried it again and it just clicked.
Went back to the jump start to starter & it cranked.
So now I've got the battery back out, cleaned the cables/posts & charging over night.
Seems like I've either got a battery or a cable problem somewhere.
What do ya think????
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 12:02am
Very likely! And if so...it's a small issue!

And yes David is correct..the srater is not engaged...but, (this is what I once heard)that the starter can be in a state where there is partial engagement...sort of stuck maybe?...and cranking by hand bumps it back. Does that make sense???
stang

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 10:58am
Yes, make sense I think can happen, especially if the bendix is sticking or on the way out. But, the torque of the starter motor will still let the engine crank. The bendix will just not disengage once the power is released from the starter.

Sounds like the starter is fine and just need to clean up all the electrical cables/connections between the battery and starter.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 12:13pm
the battery is junk if you do not have 13.5v at the battery then it's not charged and that's why you get the clicking and it cranks with the jumper pack/cables. Make sure you don't have undersized cables or automotive cables 2 gauge cable is fine for short lengths (2'-3') but is way undersized for a 5' and longer runs. Might want to clean the points a little before you crank it too much.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 2:19pm
Ok - I've cleaned everything, disconnected & reconnected everything (2 or 3) times.
Played with neutral switch & breaker reset wires. These all seem to work Ok.
I think I've got narrowed down to solinoid.
Jumper to Right post (Pos.) just clicks.
Jumper to Left post (Neg.) cranks starter.
Off to SkiDim's website!
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 2:51pm
You can get a new Solinoid at Napa for cheap and quick.   Also, on Solinoids, you can usually whack it with a hammer to losen it up. Sometimes it is just stuck. But if you can connect the points to turn it over, then the noid is dead...
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2006 at 8:09pm
YEEEEE HAAAAA - IT CRANKS!!!
Finally installed the new starter solenoid today and key spun the engine
(A trip to Nashville to buy a new motorhome & driving it back 1130 miles in 3 days delayed gettin this installed!)
Well, now it's looking a little late to get any worthwhile use out of it this year. Plus I need to Register both Boat & Trailer. And probably need new trailer tires.(2 seasons without getting wet )
So I'm thinking that I'll just add some more Marvel Mystery to Cyl's and let her sleep another winter.
Next year she'll be woken up real early!
I'm happy that the solenoid did the trick though.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 2:33am
Hey 79, I have to ask - what type battery is that you have that reads 13.5 volts while not charging. In my automotive electrical cla$$ at Florida Junior College we were taught that a fully charged battery would read 12.6 volts. Any higher voltage read than this, the battery was said to have a "surface charge". Now I've read some batteries recently that were in good working order that read 12.7 to 12.8 after their surface charge was dissipated. But none that read as high as 13.5. Are you reading this just after charging or are you letting the battery sit overnight prior to reading. Please let me know. Thanks!
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

Hey 79, I have to ask - what type battery is that you have that reads 13.5 volts while not charging. In my automotive electrical cla$$ at Florida Junior College we were taught that a fully charged battery would read 12.6 volts. Any higher voltage read than this, the battery was said to have a "surface charge". Now I've read some batteries recently that were in good working order that read 12.7 to 12.8 after their surface charge was dissipated. But none that read as high as 13.5. Are you reading this just after charging or are you letting the battery sit overnight prior to reading. Please let me know. Thanks!

Me too!! Thanks!!!

Jeff....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic