Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Timing set-up???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gmars70970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w Timing set-up???
    Posted: May-15-2018 at 3:26pm
I apologise just now if this has been asked a thousand times.

I've "nearly" completed the re-build of my 1980 351w, i'm a newbie to mechanics and pretty much learnt as I've went along.
How do I go about setting the timing up for the first time running ?

Before........

After.......

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:04pm
I put #1 at top dead center on compression stroke, use finger over the spark plug hole to verify compression stroke.   The timing scale is on the balancer and the pointer is below the alternator bracket, top dead center should be at 0.   Set timing at 8 degrees.   Re time to 10 after you get it started and warmed up.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I put #1 at top dead center on compression stroke, use finger over the spark plug hole to verify compression stroke.   The timing scale is on the balancer and the pointer is below the alternator bracket, top dead center should be at 0.   Set timing at 8 degrees.   Re time to 10 after you get it started and warmed up.   

Brilliant thank you 👌👌
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:48pm
Above is all good info but I will add a few things.
1:   Verify rotation direction of engine first
2:    Firing order cast into manifold may not be right for your engine. Again verify.
3:    Prime engine with plugs out and turning over to make sure it is oiling. Best done with a
       tool inserted into oil pump and spun the proper direction with a drill, then you don't
       have to turn it over first. That is much better on bearings.
4:     Prime carb

Have a working fire extinguisher handy if needed
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Above is all good info but I will add a few things.
1:   Verify rotation direction of engine first
2:    Firing order cast into manifold may not be right for your engine. Again verify.
3:    Prime engine with plugs out and turning over to make sure it is oiling. Best done with a
       tool inserted into oil pump and spun the proper direction with a drill, then you don't
       have to turn it over first. That is much better on bearings.
4:     Prime carb

Have a working fire extinguisher handy if needed

The more info the better, thanks again.
I'll make sure and follow all these points 👍👍
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 7:08pm
I would like to add that after you have it on the compression stroke and the pointer at 0 one the balancer that as you set the distributor in that before the gear meshes with the cam gear make sure the body of the distributor is in the direction you want it and the rotor is pointing in the direction you want it in. After it is seated,where the rotor is pointing is where you start with the plug wires-that is number 1 now on the cap.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 7:02pm
And I'll add (late in the discussion no less) that if you are still in need of direction, here are a couple of youtube videos that should help.

distributor #1

distributor #2

Pretty much everything that the guys have already said.

BTW -- Engine looks great!!

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic