Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1959 Buehler jet

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
corleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 Buehler jet
    Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:35pm
I just bought what I believe is a 1959 or 1960 Buehler 18ft jet boat. I need to get in contact with someone who owns one of these boats or know about them. Thanks
corleone
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 5:55pm
What do you need to know??
Extensive info on the internet
Ford Y block with a Hamilton pump?
The boats were made on the East side of Indianapolis

In 1954, John Buehler, president of the Buehler Corporation – a manufacturer of ultra precision equipment for aerospace –launched Turbocraft, a brand that initiated a new era of cruising with style. It was the first ever brand to successfully introduce the water jet method of propulsion. This radically new technology brought the principles of jet engine in the marine field.

It was a division of Indiana Gear Works
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 6:00pm
I skied behind one in my early teens.   Absolutely the most miserable ski you could do. Beat you to death. Like skiing on rocks. You had to get outside of the wake.. We usually fanned out so we did not have to even start behind it. Neat but not fun.
Yet still neat old boats. Good luck    Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
corleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 9:23pm
This boat has a 390 Ford V-8 in it and appears to have a cummins diesel radiator pump in it. Don't know what the original equipment was for this boat. The hull looks good and the original upholstery is still in it. It looks to have some kind of hydraulic gizmo hanging on the back of it to shift it into neutral or drive. All the original gauges are still in the dash. I think this must be a rare boat and the serial number starts with the number 60 so I am assuming that is the year. I love the fins (looks like the back of a 59 chevy). Would love to find someone that has another 1960 so I could get pictures of the original equipment. Thanks for the help.
corleone
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 9:46pm
Don,
How about posting some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
corleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:12pm
will get to the boat tomorrow and get some pictures. Thanks.
corleone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by corleone corleone wrote:

I just bought what I believe is a 1959 or 1960 Buehler 18ft jet boat. I need to get in contact with someone who owns one of these boats or know about them. Thanks

Not a Ford guy per say, but what I gathered is that a 390 is more 1961 circa, MAYBE late 1960 but I doubt it. Not to say that someone replaced the original engine either. Still neat boats, as Pete said***pics please
        1978 Mustang (modified)
corleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 5:45pm
corleone
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:11pm
wholly Frankenstein,,, Batman
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:20pm
You've probably dug up this Buehler history on the internet but here's a link just in case

link

And another thread, It looks like an ArenaCraft with Buehler propulsion

thread on Fiberglassics
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 6:27pm
Cool boat! Anyone remember watching Wide World of Sports racing those jetboats up the Colorado River?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 9:27pm
Don,
Do you know anything about the PO and what he used the boat for? With that back yard fresh water cooling system he came up with, I wonder if he used it in salt or brackish waters.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Cool boat! Anyone remember watching Wide World of Sports racing those jetboats up the Colorado River?

Oh yea.!!!    As I recall it took several boats to make the trip. Info on internet.   Was very familiar with those boats because the factory was only 4 miles from home. My Dad had a friend that his father in law was shop foreman there He got a demo to use anytime he wanted. Skied behind it every weekend for several years. Lot of fun being in it when they would do spin outs. Not real fast but sure neat in its day.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Was very familiar with those boats because the factory was only 4 miles from home. My Dad had a friend that his father in law was shop foreman there He got a demo to use anytime he wanted. Skied behind it every weekend for several years. Lot of fun being in it when they would do spin outs. Not real fast but sure neat in its day.

Duane,
Who got to pay for all the fuel those jets used?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic