Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Southwind 20... what are these like?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southwind 20... what are these like?
    Posted: May-17-2018 at 11:34pm
In my quest to look at every intersting Correct Craft for sale in a 20 mile radius, I stumbled on a Southwind 20 (forget which year, does it matter?). Owner claims to have redone the stringers and floor, 351 is running well, etc. Pictures look clean, new cover, and so on. Closed bow (sadly).

Asking price is $7k.

I'm going to see it this weekend, just want to know what these things are like. I'm in the market for a family cruiser type boat, something that won't be a pain in the ass to maintain, will handle light to moderate chop with ease, and pull a wakeboarder here and there (it doesn't need to have a high performing wake, just be able to pull up a wakeboarder and not sound like the world is ending).

This looks interesting in that regard. Anything notoriously terrible about these boats?
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2018 at 12:46am
I have had two Southwinds. One was an '83 Open Bow, and the other a '76 18" Closed bow. They are very cool, classic cruisers. Not real nimble, or good skiing boats, but, if you are looking for a classic cruiser that handles chop well, and has some room in it, look no further. The SW is your boat. I think the SW closed bow is a nicer looking boat than the Open Bow, But, open bows are nice, and that is all people seem to want these days. Think about the resale from that perspective too. If/when you ever go to sell it, get ready to hear..."Is it an open bow? No! Okay, thanks. The wife really wants an open bow". But, if that is not a game breaker for you, go for it. As mentioned, really cool old boats.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I have had two Southwinds. One was an '83 Open Bow, and the other a '76 18" Closed bow. They are very cool, classic cruisers. Not real nimble, or good skiing boats, but, if you are looking for a classic cruiser that handles chop well, and has some room in it, look no further. The SW is your boat. I think the SW closed bow is a nicer looking boat than the Open Bow, But, open bows are nice, and that is all people seem to want these days. Think about the resale from that perspective too. If/when you ever go to sell it, get ready to hear..."Is it an open bow? No! Okay, thanks. The wife really wants an open bow". But, if that is not a game breaker for you, go for it. As mentioned, really cool old boats.

Thanks! Yeah I would also like an open bow, but that's not a deal breaker. And yeah you're basically describing my needs - except again, I would like to be able to pull a wakeboard / wakeskate here and there, and do it with some confidence. If it's such a bear of a boat that if can't do that, I might keep looking. What are you thoughts on that?

Tempting to try and get this at a slightly lower price, put on a simple tower with bimini and use it as a weekend warrior / cruiser.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2018 at 11:17pm
On wakeboarding, the SW will have a BIG wake, and should be very good for wakeboarding. I saw a picture of my old SW OB in action with the guy that bought it from me. He was 10' in the air wakeboarding behind it. Not sure about wakeskating.   Never done it, and not sure what kind of wake is required for it.

Another thing I want to mention is how important a swim platform is. Does the boat you are looking at have one? My '83 SW had one, but, the '76 did not. When you don't have one, you will really miss it. If all you have is a ladder on the back of the boat, that gets OLD real quick.

On price, $7K does seem a bit steep, unless it was a total restoration and looked like brand new. Please put some pictures up if you have them.   
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 12:23am
I would take closed bow over open any day. I had a 20' open and now just an 18' closed.

20' open would be best IMO. Moving the helm back to make more space up front just cramps the main cockpit.

It will be plenty powerful for wakeboarding. For basic wakeskating a smaller craft is best (lots of falls, one that turns around quicker).

For your needs really any SW will work.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 12:35am
Closed bow for me as well. I really do not like a passenger sitting in front of me blocking the view. and that is exactly where they choose to sit!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 12:44am
Have 2 Southwinds in the family, a 72 SW20 and a 74 SW18. Great boats and would heartily recommend. Of course not a Nautique ski wake, but plenty of fun for the average "not-picky"skier and rides like a dream in all conditions......as rough as you can get.

With all due respect to DavidG, (how bout a shout-out for a SW guy!), totally disagree on the bowrider thing. The Southwind Bowrider fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down....Windshield set too far back, looks waaay goofy...and who over the age of 10 would ever want to sit up there anyway? Closed Bow SW's have classic well'proportioned lines and far more interior space, and the teak bow walk is just great (if it's got one).

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2018 at 1:55am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

I think the SW closed bow is a nicer looking boat than the Open Bow, But, open bows are nice, and that is all people seem to want these days.   

My Southwind brothers....I am with you. The SW Closed Bow is BY FAR a nicer looking boat. Very clean, classic lines. The SW Open Bow is a strange looking boat for sure, but, the open bow is nice for hauling large crowds.

Got to say though, even though Martinique doesn't have quite the classic lines of the SW, it does have that "now classic" mid-80's styling thing happening, and is very practical. I like to think of it as a very early prototype of a G20....minus the metalflake, towers, speakers, and most importantly....the price tag.   
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 4:56pm
I still have my like new 1978 Southwind 18 and love it.   Was very well kept and had light use while it lived in upstate NY for it entire life before I bought it and brought it down to Atlanta. Am dropping it in the water this week for Memorial Day week-end.   Will post a pic of it beside my new GS22 ... been a Correct Craft Fan all my life.   My Dad got us started with a brand new 1975 Southwind 18 - went without for many years but then bought the 1978.   Joined the reunions here and got introduced to the 2008 Ski Nautique 206 which I have used over the past 5 years but just traded it in on a brand new 2018 GS22.   
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 5:06pm
Thanks all. I saw the boat in person. I hadn't realized it's posted on here. Link below. Owner is fantastic, has kept a detailed history of the boat, has put in a tennis amount of work, it's clearly a thoughtfully managed old boat.

I'm sort of grappling with the idea of getting something so old school though. The interior, while flawless, really screams 70s. Not sure that's my style, but then this seems to be as fine an example as I'd expect to find. Still, I'd rather have a BFN/Excel, maybe. I don't know.

for sale
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 5:38pm
Link is not working - am curious to see what are you are looking at!

Is it on CL in Charlotte?
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 5:55pm
Sorry, having trouble linking it on my phone. Yes, on CL in Charlotte, and on CCFan in the for sale section on 5/1. Has a red cover.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

Sorry, having trouble linking it on my phone. Yes, on CL in Charlotte, and on CCFan in the for sale section on 5/1. Has a red cover.

Here's the CL ad but nothing comes up under "Southwind" in our boats for sale section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 7:07pm
Wowzers wasn't expecting that high of a price tag.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 7:26pm
Yea I guess the ones not ready to be planters are more money.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the CL ad but nothing comes up under "Southwind" in our boats for sale section.

Not sure where you're looking, but it's the first southwind that comes up when I'm looking. Regardless, that's the boat.

try this one
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wowzers wasn't expecting that high of a price tag.

Yeah I guess that's where I get nervous. Is this a $7000 boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:00pm

]

Not sure where you're looking, but it's the first southwind that comes up when I'm looking. Regardless, that's the boat.

try this one

Tyler,
This is where I was looking. I just tried it again and still nothing. Where are you looking?

nothing comes up under "Southwind" in our boats for sale section.

Bottom paint in SC! Better check if it's a salt water boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:05pm

]

try this one

Tyler,
This is where I was looking. I just tried it again and still nothing. Where are you looking?

nothing comes up under "Southwind" in our boats for sale section.

Bottom paint in SC! Better check if it's a salt water boat.

Specifically, if I click on the "For Sale" button on the top bar, and then go to page 3 (of all boats for sale), it's the first boat on the top of the page.

Yeah I asked about the bottom paint. No salt water exposure, it was painted when he bought it (in an inland area) 16+ years ago. It's still a negative for me, I don't want bottom paint ideally.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 10:53pm

Pete, click the link to see what search criteria I used to find it It's there

He seems to be using a phone and maybe the mobile version of the for sale stuff is set up different

link
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

He seems to be using a phone and maybe the mobile version of the for sale stuff is set up different

link

Yikes. That open bow from 2012 in CA looks CLEAN. And asking half the price of this one. That makes me nervous.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

link

Ken,
I used the exact same criteria as you did in the search. This is all I get multiple times:

"Sorry, your query found no results. Please adjust the filter above and try your search again."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

I still have my like new 1978 Southwind 18 and love it.

spent some time driving this boat at a Reunion......one of my Top 10 favorite boats on the site. When Salty sez 'like new' he meant it. Beautiful.

how are the triplets? and the lovely Mrs Salty?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic