Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hooking a hose up to 87 correct craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mckin007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mckin007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hooking a hose up to 87 correct craft
    Posted: July-26-2006 at 6:57pm
okay I thought it was a bent prop, it isn't think the drive shaft might be bent. But also thinking it could be the transmission. I finally yanked it out of the water. How can I hook up a hose so that I can run it out of water. Someone told me you can get a part @ home depot to do this.
nautique girl
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 7:13pm
A sink plunger...Poke a hole in it, then stick your waterhose through.
Scott
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 7:58pm
Or, if (like me), you're too stupid to think of that, you can buy a fake-a-lake for $20 from West Marine.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 8:21pm
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy about a 8'-0 pc of 1"(or is it 1 1/4"?)clear tubing.
Disconnect hose from intake just after the sea strainer. Slide the clear hose on the hose's position on the intake. Put other end in a big garbage barrell full of water.
I've run mine like this ever since I got it.
Can run for a long time like that without fear of starving engine for water.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:01pm
You can just disconnect the hose at the water intake coming in through the bottom of the boat and run the garden hose into the intake hose. When I do this, I usually use the clamp to connect the intake hose to the garden hose. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:21pm
Mckin, here is a pic of what I have installed on my boat. It is simply a PVC "T" on the water intake line between the water strainer and transmission cooler. A previous owner installed this on my boat, but we have used a similar setup on all our Nautiques for many years. The appropriate sized plumbing fittings, hose clamps and valve (or plug) will only cost a few dollars. Hooking up a hose to run the boat out of water takes just a matter of seconds.

Just be judicious with the water pressure until the motor is running- it helps to have a shut-off valve installed on the end of the hose.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 10:30pm
I just do like BKH. suggests. I have done this for 12 years with no problems.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

I just do like BKH. suggests. I have done this for 12 years with no problems.

Pat

ditto - but only five years
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 10:18am
Tim:

I suppose you have valve between the PVC "T" and the thru hull inlet. What type of valve are you using?

Also, I suppose the garden hose fitting has a plastic ball valve incorporated?

Did the operating temps go up slightly due to any flow restrictions?
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 8:27pm
David F,
I have a simple pvc tee piece on the raw water intake line. the branch has a hose fitting on the end, and a ball valve to stop water flowing through when the boat is in use.

I thought about a one way valve between the hull fitting and the tee, but if you run the motor at just above idle, the water pump will draw the water through without any problems.

So much simpler than having to disconnect & reconnect hoses every time you flush the motor, & better for the hoses too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 10:15pm
Actually David, I dont have any valves in my setup. Its simply a T with an endcap. No valve between the hose connection and hull inlet either- it couldnt be simpler. Engine temps are exactly 160 on the lake as well as the hose.

Like I said a previous owner (either M3Fan or previous) installed this setup, and it works very well. My dad usually uses a garden hose spicket T'd in at the same location- no tools involved to hook up the hose at all.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 9:04am
Thanks for the clarification. I would have thought that the pump would be sucking a lot of air (which it probably is), but I guess the lack of a load on the engine makes this a moot point. I might have to consider something similiar as I really do not like crawling under the boat to setup the fake-a-lake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 11:26am
Im not sure how much air it's sucking. I give it plenty of water pressure from the hose, so its not running warmer than 160 in the driveway. Its also nice to know Im not forcing too much pressure in there- any excess would drain from the hull inlet.

Its a great mod- its one of the first things we do to a boat when we get it. That and quick disconnects for the heater hoses.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 11:57am
At the risk of looking like a "posts about my boat" stalker, the T-fitting was done by guy before me on the 90. I was thinking that the way it is set up the flow naturally goes from the hose right down to the RW intake path. Intrestingly it back-flows water out the intake grate when the engine is not running, but when that thing fires up, it goes straight in with no back flow at all- that pump has some power. I suppose if you also put a fake-a-lake on at the same time connected to a bucket, and the water level went down in the bucket, it would demonstrate how much air it is sucking from the intake grate.
G Stonicher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Stonicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 1:59pm
I thought he wanted to run his engine to check for a vibration or something. No matter how much water you get to the engine isn't it a bad thing to run the boat in gear out of the water. Won't the bussings in the strut go bad.
20' Southwind
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2006 at 2:09pm
G, good point. Theres not much you can test about the driveshaft or tranny on land, hose or not.
mckin007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mckin007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 12:13pm
thanks alot.
nautique girl
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:11am
Just take the hose off after the water strainer and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with your garden hose filling the bucket. Putting a fake a lake or T in your line will just cause problems down the road. With the engine sucking the water out of the bucket on its own you will not mask problems with the raw water pump.

Tim
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 12:33pm
I’m interested in the last idea because I was told by Vince at SKIDIM that the RW pump will fill a 5 gal bucket in 15 seconds at 3000 rpm. Not that you would be running the motor that high but I’m thinking you would have to have a good head start on water volume in order to keep from sucking the bucket dry. Were as if you hook the hose up direct or on a T the pump may draw a suction or with a T you would be at least keeping the pump lubed at all times??? I think 95% of all the water going in just goes through the exhaust and maybe 5% goes to through the thermostat for engine cooling. What does every one else think?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 1:09pm
What do you think happens when you put the T on the line? You can suck air. Its just like trying to run it with the o ring off of the water strainer in the water.

Yeah, if you run the engine at 3000rpm out of the water you are going to run out of water no matter what you have it hooked up to. You just have to be smarter than the bucket of water

With the bucket you can tell if the pump is working or not. You can't tell if the pump is working when you have the hose pressure forcing the water into the engine. With the T you have the chance to suck air and damage the impeller.

It also make winterizing a snap. You need two five gallon buckets, one with clean water running and the other with your antifreeze mix. When the engine is hot just switch the hose to the antifreeze bucket and let it suck until it is gone, then turn off the engine. This does not make a huge mess and the engine does all of the work.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 2:17pm
I like the winterizing idea. I just was thinking the bucket of water thing was something a person would have to be careful and watch the fluid level and hose position at the same time resolve whatever problems they are having for which they need to run engine out of water for. Where as if you have it conneceted right to the hose it is relitivy safe to walk away for few moments and not worry about pump going dry.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 2:43pm
The bucket is the same idea as I had posted, only I fill a 30 gallon plastic garbage barrell & run a hose to the strainer.
(A friend of mine, who restores inboard saltwater wooden boats, recommended this to me.)
With the basic idea being that, the boat will suck the barrell dry quicker than the hose can keep it full. So, a hose direct to the engine would actually not be providing adequate water.
I also like the fact that the boat is running just like it would be in the lake.
But, many have used the fake-lake type devices for years without problems.
To each his own!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 3:35pm
I really doubt that the RWP has to be flowing full volume/capacity to protect the impellar. Just so long as there is water flowing to keep the impellar lubricate and cool, it will be fine. A garden hose can certainly provide the volume necessary to keep the impellar from being adversly effected. Also, an engine run without load will get sufficient cooling from the lower volume of water.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 3:44pm
Has anyone else used behindpropeller winterizing method? Also do you still have to pull all the drain plugs and hoses with this method, or can you just leave them on? Also what type of antifreeze do you use? I have always used the pink RV water tank stuff.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by jholton jholton wrote:

I like the winterizing idea. I just was thinking the bucket of water thing was something a person would have to be careful and watch the fluid level and hose position at the same time resolve whatever problems they are having for which they need to run engine out of water for. Where as if you have it conneceted right to the hose it is relitivy safe to walk away for few moments and not worry about pump going dry.

I never walk away from it. I just fill the bucket up and then start the engine. Typically when it is idling the hose will overflow the bucket so I just increase the rpm some to lower the level in the bucket. There really is no reason to run it above idle on the trailer since you do your timing at idle and you need to run it at idle to get the engine hot to winterize.

When I winterize I will turn the shower on full hot and run it into the bucket while it is running and only add enough cold water to keep the bucket full. This lets the engine warm up quicker so you can run the antifreeze in with an open thermostat. When I am done I check the block for antifreeze , never take any hoses off. I do crimp the hose that goes to my shaft seal and also make sure the shower is off before putting the antifreeze in.

As far as water lubing the impeller with the T in the hose:

It only takes a second to ruin the impeller so I really do not see any reason to take a chance. I replace it every spring as it is. Cheap insurance.

Tim
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 4:42pm
Is the hose going to your shaft seal for a no leak type seal? and what kind of antifreeze do you use?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:42am
Yes PSS seal. As for antifreeze....whatever is on sale. Usually the RV stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic