Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - dropped plastic straw into transmission of 1980 SN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dropped plastic straw into transmission of 1980 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dropped plastic straw into transmission of 1980 SN
    Posted: May-21-2018 at 7:48pm
What are my options here? I was pumping the old fluid out and the 5 inch straw detached from the pump and fell in.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 7:59pm
I've tried the shop vac method. The filling it up all the way method and the needle nose pliers method.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 8:20pm
I have also removed the lower oil strainer and no luck finding it. Bilge is covered in oil now.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 8:44pm
5" long but what's the I.D.? Bend a small L at the bottom of some bailing wire. Insert and catch the bottom of the plastic tube.

What field of engineering are you in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 8:50pm
about a quarter inch. I have been trying to fish it out with safety wire for over an hour.

Aerospace.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:04pm
I can see it with a flashlight. It's mocking me.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:06pm
I need one of those little claw things that people used to use to pull olives out of deep jars.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:28pm
I know how you feel. I've got a diesel transfer tank on my truck and the pick-up tube fell off into the tank a month or two after it was installed. I could see it, but we tried everything from magnets to grab claws and even something resembling Pete's bailing wire with no luck. Guess I could have drained the tank, unbolted it from the bed and turned it upside down. Perhaps you're left with that option

BTW - I still hear that tube rolling around in the tank .....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:38pm
That claw pickle grabber may do the trick.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:40pm
GOT IT!!!
O Reillys had one of those grabbers!
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

That claw pickle grabber may do the trick.

IT DID!!!!!
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:01pm
That is great.
My wife did not want me to mail you her pickle grabber......geez; not even for a fellow CCFan !
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:24pm
You are not the first nor the last.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:27pm
Sailsail

There must be a lesson to be learned from this   
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 12:47am
Ahhhhhh Grashopper: Wise man use longer straw.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 12:51am
An even wiser man uses a piece of metal brake line
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:45am

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Ahhhhhh Grashopper: Wise man use longer straw.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Sailsail

There must be a lesson to be learned from this   

In my defense it was the best fluid transfer pump I have. I never knew the straw came out! Had it for years with no issues.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

An even wiser man uses a piece of metal brake line

Care to explain?
Edit: I figured out what you mean. I’m going to epoxy a stainless line to the pump that is 18 inches long.

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:03am
All fun and games till the straw falls in.
Js
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:31am
I guess I'm the only one who uses the engine to do it. I find it easier and it allows me to flush the cooler and clutches but I sacrifice a quart of cheap ATF to do it.
Get a piece of 4' x 5/8" clear vinyl tube at ACE or Petes place.
Pull off the outlet hydraulic fitting from the gear cooler and shove the tubing onto it. It fits. Other end goes in yer bucket.
Squirt some soap into the strut bearing.
(I assume you have a flush set up AKA TIM-T)
Fire it up and watch all the oil go through the tube and into the bucket.
Stop engine, dump in a quart of cheep fluid. Fire it up and shift a few seconds in fwd and rvs. Run until oil stops coming out the tube.
Put the hose back on and fill to spec.
I actually thought about doing a video of this when I did it around Easter but couldn't get any help when I was ready.
Just how I have always done it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:56am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 10:14am
Back in the mid 80's I took them guy's to court for destroying a VW transaxle. Adjusting for inflation it cost me 8400.00 to replace it. I do not even like driving past those places
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 11:18am
You judging me Pete?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

You judging me Pete?

Not at all John. I like your technique on the fluid change. It reminded me of the old Aamoco commercial hence the You Tube video link.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:38pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 4:59pm
If it makes you feel better I will share I was painting at the house last weekend.
When done I was cleaning out the brush and roller.
I had the roller clean and was running water through it to make sure and it slipped out of my hand.   I was cleaning this into a 4" clean out drain I have at the back of my house.
It is about a 12x12 pad with the 4" drain in the center. I have used it before for similar cleaning jobs.   Now I had a 12" x 3" roller out of reach down this drain and out of sight.
I lowered my cel phone down enough to snap a picture. I could see it in the picture it was around a 90 bend and 3 feet out under a concrete pad.
I suspected if I left it I would block up the entire house plumbing since this was on the main line.   I fished with a 6 foot long wire with a small j hook on the end for about 2 hours before finally getting the damn thing back. It sure made me happy that I decided to clean the roller rather than through it away and buy and new roller for the next coat.
I probably saved about $3.50 and wasted over 2 hours time.
Good news, the sewer pipe is fine. I will throw the roller away next time.
Wrap it still wet in paint in newspaper and toss it.   Hope this makes you feel better.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 5:36pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 6:43pm
I'm sitting here laughing with you Mark. If I tried Johns method, I'd disconnect the line,start the engine,the hose would fall out of the container spraying oil all over then as I go back to get the hose in I'd kick the container over spilling the rest of the oil I'll just siphon it out thanks.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:32pm
Ha ha.... good times. At least you didn't loose your cell phone down the pipe while trying to get that picture !!       

(next time don't throw the roller away if you've got another coat - wrap it a few times with cellophane. Make sure there's no air trapped under the wrap and it'll stay wet for days)
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

don't throw the roller away if you've got another coat - wrap it a few times with cellophane.   

Joe,
Are you sure about the "Cellophane"? I think you had better do a google and some reading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

don't throw the roller away if you've got another coat - wrap it a few times with cellophane.   

Joe,
Are you sure about the "Cellophane"? I think you had better do a google and some reading.

I'm stickin' up for ya' here Joe

Most anybody knows what Joe meant Pete

I googled cellophane and here's a blurb from Wikipedia

"Branding
In the UK and in many other countries, "cellophane" is a registered trademark and the property of Futamura Chemical UK Ltd, based in Wigton, Cumbria, United Kingdom.[8] In the US and some other countries "cellophane" has become genericized, and is often used informally to refer to a wide variety of plastic film products, even those not made of cellulose,[9] such as plastic wrap."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic