Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 351 Distributor Gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sjeffreys57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjeffreys57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 351 Distributor Gear
    Posted: May-21-2018 at 9:20pm
Where can I purchase the gear for a Prestolite IBM7008A reverse gear \\\\\ set up? Could really use some help on this one since I cannot find anything on line. What material should it be made of:   Copper (think not) Steel, or Melonized.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:09pm
Scott,
Welcome to CCfan. Glad you found us.

I did a quick search and this was the first site I opened.. If you still have the old gear, you can mount it on the distributor you want to use.

How about some pictures of the project?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2018 at 10:23pm
Something tells me you probably bought a NOS 351c/460 distributor on Ebay and you need a Reverse Rotation gear to make it fit your 351W. or your distributor has a chewed up gear maybe.

Here's a link to one. It's cast iron which is what the original was and it's the right shaft diameter but you'll have to drill the hole yourself.

link

Here's an Ebay link from the same outfit as the previous link

link

They're not exactly cheap or easy to find.

If you have one, Is your old Reverse Rotation gear unusable?

Same link as Pete gave you I noticed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjeffreys57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:18pm
Thanks for the info. Here are some pictures. The gears wore off and need to replace. I am assuming this is a reverse gear since it is \\\\.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjeffreys57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 1:19pm
Thanks for the info. Did not purchase a new one, but replaced the points in the old one only to find out that we were not getting any spark and the rotor was not turning. Picture attached.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 2:31pm
Scott,
I'd be concerned with what the gear on the cam looks like too. Do you know the history of oil changes and what type of oil has been used?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjeffreys57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:06pm
There are only 745 hours on this 1986 boat and I am the second family owner of the boat. Oil has been changed annually with 30W based on the manual specs. Do you have any other recommendations for oil in these engines based on years of use?

We checked the cam shaft gears and they all look pretty good. Not sure why this gave way, but we are definitely going to change the oil 2 times before any accelerated use. Any recommendations here would also be appreciated.

Thank you!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by sjeffreys57 sjeffreys57 wrote:

There are only 745 hours on this 1986 boat and I am the second family owner of the boat. Oil has been changed annually with 30W based on the manual specs. Do you have any other recommendations for oil in these engines based on years of use?

We checked the cam shaft gears and they all look pretty good. Not sure why this gave way, but we are definitely going to change the oil 2 times before any accelerated use. Any recommendations here would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Could have been a distributor failure, or a bent shaft in the distributor. Assuming the cam still is attached to the timing set and is still turning then it likely wasn't valve train related.   Best case scenario will be to get a good dist with a new gear properly fitted in there - install with some assembly lube and hope for the best.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:24pm

We checked the cam shaft gears and they all look pretty good.

Any recommendations here would also be appreciated.Thank you!

Well there is only one gear on the cam.
Valvoline VR1 is a popular oil.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:49pm
Scott,
Duane mentions Valvolene VR1 which is one of the oils that still has the ZDDP in it that's needed for a flat tappet engine. Although the ZDDPs primary purpose is for tappet/cam protection from wear, it certainly is great for other parts like the distributor/oil pump gear. Joe mentioned assembly grease which I too would recommend.

BTW, many including myself feel that straight weight oils are outdated and muti viscosity oils are the way to go. I personally use VR1 in the 20-50 weight. Yes, you manual says 30 but think about how old the manual is!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjeffreys57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 3:59pm
Thanks for all the help and recommendations. New gear is on order and from my research and what I was told, there are not a lot of these left in the US. AAA Marine has 3 of these left in stock. Hoping this is the solution and will take up your recommendations on the oil going forward.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 4:14pm

Thanks for all the help and recommendations. New gear is on order and from my research and what I was told, there are not a lot of these left in the US. AAA Marine has 3 of these left in stock. Hoping this is the solution and will take up your recommendations on the oil going forward.

It wasn't the oil that caused it, and its a rare failure - find the cause or you will likely destroy the next gear as well - if you cant tell if that distributor is whooped or not make sure you find someone that can...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It wasn't the oil that caused it, and its a rare failure - find the cause or you will likely destroy the next gear as well - if you cant tell if that distributor is whooped or not make sure you find someone that can...

I'd read what Joe said a few times so it sinks in, it happened for a reason, you just have to figure it out
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 6:02pm
I agree, distributor gear is a no load gear and should not wear out unless there was another problem.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I agree, distributor gear is a no load gear and should not wear out unless there was another problem.   

On the bottom of that distributor shaft is what's called an oil pump!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 3:41pm
Oil pump hardly constitutes a load.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 3:51pm

Ever try to hold a drill motor while priming an oil pump?   Theres a load there, ive about snapped my arm off.   Also tried to do it with a speed wrench on the dock and wore myself out. It takes actual power to drive that pump, and the load is significant in relation to the gear.contact patch.   However, Its usually constant, but after he checks the distributor which looks crusty and is easier to have fallen debris lock things up the next step is certainly to try and prime the pump and make sure it is smooth and free.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 6:47pm
Steve,
I highly recommend getting a pump priming tool and giving it a try.

Just as Joe mentioned, there's a pretty decent load on the gear from the pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 7:01pm
You must be kinda wimpy Joe, just like me

A good 1/2 inch 120 volt drill is definitely doing some work while priming the oil system like Joe said.

For Scott the OP , just thought I'd mention, make sure you have the drill spinning counterclockwise to make the pump prime and pump some oil on a 351 Ford.

If it's spinning clockwise it's not gonna pump any oil and spins a lot easier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 9:49pm

Steve,
I found some interesting figures on the typical oil pump.

"Common gear-type pumps typically operate at between 75 and 80% efficiency. So suppose your V8 engine requires 10 GPM at 50 psi. The oil pump will have been sized to maintain some preferred level of oil pressure at idle when the engine and oil are hot, so the pump will have far more capacity than is required to maintain the 10 GPM at 50 psi at operating speed. (That's what the "relief" valve does: bypasses the excess flow capacity back to the inlet of the pump, which, as an added benefit, also dramatically reduces the prospect cavitation in the pump inlet line.)
Now suppose your 75%-efficient pump is maintaining 50 psi at 3000 RPM, and is providing the 10 GPM needed by the engine. It is actually pumping 30 to 50 GPM ( 10 of which goes through the engine, and the excess flow recirculates through the relief valve ) at 50 psi. The power to drive that pressure pump stage is:
HP = ( 50 gpm x 50 psi ) / ( 1714 x 0.75 efficiency ) = 1.95 HP"

I'd say that the calculated 1.95 HP is a fairly decent load on the gear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 5:06pm
dont remember it being that difficult.
I did them in the past on chevy block,
my ford rebuild done by builder but i was there and did it on a cordless drill, didnt seem that big a deal.   not going to break an arm kind of force unless you are a girly man
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 1:37am

not going to break an arm kind of force unless you are a girly man

Steve,
Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting Joe (joeinny). I have and I sure wouldn't call him a "girly man" !!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scubamike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubamike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 1:01pm
Are all prestolite distributor shafts .531?
Mike

1981 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by scubamike scubamike wrote:

Are all prestolite distributor shafts .531?

If you're wondering if all of the 351w marine distributor shafts are .531 inches, the answer is yes.

But Prestolite 302 distributors have a different shaft diameter like .467 or so inches
therefore a 302 gear won't fit a 351 without some machining magic.

We won't mention Prestolite distributors for other brands    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic