Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aligning drive shaft to vDrive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hoggjaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggjaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aligning drive shaft to vDrive
    Posted: May-23-2018 at 12:50pm
Well I am back in the Nautique family. Picked up a 1992 Nautique Excel that needed some work. Buffing, New steering cable, strut, and drive shaft. So far I have removed all parts, and have the new drive shaft, strut in and have the steering cable in but not attached. I have reached a point where I could use some guidance. The coupler that is attached to the drive shaft that needs to bolt to the vdrive alignment is off, and not at .003 by checking with the feeler gauge. It is the port side that has the gap. This is my first time doing a drive shaft so I am very much learning as I go. I would like to know my next step on how to get the coupler that is connected to the drive shaft aligned so I can bolt it back up to the V-drive. All feedback is appreciated, and if i need to give more detail please let me know. Hope this makes sense, and sorry if my terminology is wrong.
hoggjaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggjaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 2:28pm
Just watched the Pete's how to video on inboard shaft alignment. I am a little nervous to mess the the motor mounts. I will give it a try today, or in the next couple days.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 3:07pm
If you changed the strut you should make sure that the shaft is centered in the through hull before you move the engine mounts. In the mean time get some good penetrating oil oil on the mounts even if you are not ready to loosen them.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

In the mean time get some good penetrating oil oil on the mounts even if you are not ready to loosen them.

+1 on that ... Never too early to soak them down. It may still take several applications and a little "persuasion" to free them up, depending on their condition.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If you changed the strut you should make sure that the shaft is centered in the through hull before you move the engine mounts.   

Plus 1 and make sure when the shaft is centered, it's "happy". IE: turns freely and isn't binding in the cutlass bearing due to an angular misalignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic