Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Throttle Cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Throttle Cable
    Posted: May-23-2018 at 5:57pm
I replaced my GT40 throttle cable with the heavy duty version when I pulled out the Perfect Pass.

When I advance the throttle now, it jumps up very fast (maybe about 1/2" travel) instead of slowly advancing the RPM. Makes for a difficult docking and trailer loading experience!

Also, when I put the throttle at a set speed, say 3000 RPM, the throttle arm will move back to idle. It won't stick in position anymore. It was fine before---now it's too loose.

How can I tighten the arm to stay put? How can I slow the advance?

Thanks!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 6:12pm
Slowing the advance might be because you put one end of the cable or the other in a different hole so that a shorter movement of the throttle arm gives a longer pull on the cable or that a shorter cable movement at the carb moves the throttle plate more. There are multiple holes and this can be done accidently easily enough.   This might contribute to your throttle not sticking issue but probably not. With a good return spring and a good throttle cable it can often move - someone used to sell a clamp and a thumbscrew that could be put on the cable to crush it enough to add some resistance. I don't like my throttle artificially impeded but do understand how having it return slowly the whole time you are driving can make life difficult.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 10:43pm
It always has held where I placed the handle. I don't think it is supposed to slowly move back to idle. In fact, it's not that slow----it comes back down within a second or so.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2018 at 11:39pm
My GT-40 moves back to idle fairly quick also, its been that way since i bought it 12 years ago.
I just assumed that’s the way they were.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic