Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat running light question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat running light question
    Posted: May-24-2018 at 4:27pm
Hello I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with I have a switch panel like what is in the picture. It has a switch for running lights and another switch for the anchor light

It's easy to wire it so that the running light switch turns on the bow light and the anchor light switch turns on the stern light but I want to have the running light switch turn on the bow and stern lights together and the anchor light switch just turn on the anchor light.
I see switches like in many boats that use one switch to do everything, but this panel doesn't have a switch like that.
Thanks
Any help is appreciated
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 4:38pm
Cc did that exact thing in the late 80’s and 90’s by adding a diode between the 2 switches. Turning on the nav switch turned the anchor outputs on as well (but not vice versa).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 6:02pm
And for your wiring pleasure, here's a hand scribbled drawing of how to wire it.

It's easy and won't break the bank either.

Something like a 3 amp diode won't cost more than a couple of dollars and for this application it's fine..

You need to have the stripe oriented the way the drawing shows with the stripe on the end of the diode toward the stern light wiring.

That's a diode in the picture so you know what it looks like. A little hard to see the stripe on it but it's there.

Your best bet is to read about diode installation on the internet for tips on the soldering/crimping and covering with insulating material like heat shrink tubing

I have a switch panel that's pretty much like that and spade connectors and piggyback connectors should work for hooking the diode between the switch output terminals

Happy wiring   

Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2018 at 10:07pm
Thanks Guys I did some reading like suggested and with the help of the diagram, I should have a hard time screwing this up.
I bought some on line and should have this all wired up in a week or so when they show up
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 12:34am
Admit it, at times like this, you miss Radio Shack.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 12:56am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ha! I loved that store!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ahhh yes, the free battery punch card
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 10:51am
When did they go out of business?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

When did they go out of business?

Bruce,
It's the second time they filed for bankruptcy in two years. I don't think many of their stores are still open.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 11:48am
They seem to be pretty much worthless after they filed the first time anyway. They tried the great plan of saving the business by selling cell phones when everyone had the same plan
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 11:55am
I've got one a mile from my house. It's been there for decades. If it closed, I never noticed...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 1:13pm
maine radio shacks

Had one near work and one near home, both gone.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 7:58pm
After all the Radio Shack talk I went to a local electronics place and found a diode.I wired things up per the diagram and everything is good I'll have some extra diodes when the others come in, but I'm happy
Thanks again for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic