NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom course guidelines (driver)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slalom course guidelines (driver)
    Posted: June-04-2018 at 5:24pm
I can find plenty of guidelines / help / suggestions on how to run a course for the skier but I am unable to find much on driver guidelines other than don't tangle the rope in the balls.

are there any suggestions /guidelines that people have for drivers on a course?   The only 'training' I can find is this http://www.usawaterski.org/trained-boat-driver-course/
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 11:50am
Pretty easy stuff -- A few guidelines - - These are just my opinions not hard fast rules -
- Stay straight - The skier will tug on the boat a bit
- Use the tachometer, not the speedo - (Assuming you don't have perfect pass) You will need to "squeeze" the throttle" the whole time and slightly adjust to compensate for the skier loading up against the boat.
- Learn how to turn around "P-Turn"   There are diagrams out there for it.
- Always idle back to fallen skier
- Learn how to keep the skier connected to the line when pausing between runs or taking up rope - This is done by the driver swinging left while the skier swings hard out to the right and then throttling the boat down. The skier ends up in line with the driver(ish)
Your job is to keep the boat as straight and consistent (Speed) as possible... Good luck.

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 11:37pm
I would suggest also going over to www.ballofspray.com. Those guys can also provide some great tips. Be sure to go to the forums.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 6:32am
Agreed. BOS has some great info.
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 3:20pm
As a Senior AWSA driver my recommendations to a newbe slalom course driver is to get in with an accomplished driver and learn from them. it would only take a time or two but the information that can be shared is invaluable.
driving by hand is a lost art. If you have a boat with out some sort of speed control you are not doing anyone any favors trying to hold speed in the course driving by hand especially if you are new to the course.
lots of public lake eddicate involved. don't throw rollers down the course. don't drag your skier during sit down. Even though you may have put the course in it is in public water and you will have to share water time and even the course with others.
balance the boat so as the wakes are even. and above all you as the driver are not the most important part of the process, the skier is the most important part you are there for that skier.
have fun be receptive to adjustments and be safe!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic