Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel center piece

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shaffer CCR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaffer CCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel center piece
    Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:55pm
I recently bought a 1977 ski tique. Some turd stole the center piece trim from the steering wheel from the previous owner. Does any body have any input to where I might find a replacement, copy, retro.etc. This boats in great shape, and the boat I learned the ski course on. would like to restore it to original.
Gregory A Shaffer
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:02pm
Gregory,
The center covers are so rare, I remember several years ago one of our members was making them. I feel they ether get lost or more likely get broken when someone who doesn't know how to remove it, breaks it. All I can say is keep looking at all sources.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaffer CCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:36pm
Thanks for the input, let me know if you think of any resources. I may have to look at making one. If anyone would have some original pic's, I'd love some guidance.
Gregory A Shaffer
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:52pm
Relatively simple lathe job.   Need to get Pete to come off of some of his $$ and get a lathe. He has the background in machining to make them. I have an over abundance of tooling I can help you with , Pete. You could retire from HD and make tax free $$.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:12pm
Duane,
I have a lathe but, you put wood in it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:19pm
Pete, Even better. Make a wooden plug and spin an aluminum cover!!!
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Pete, Even better. Make a wooden plug and spin an aluminum cover!!!

Interesting thought but, the snap ring grove is real small and could be a challenge on a spun part. I'll have to give it a thought. Don't you have a lathe? I've thought about getting one but would go for some old and then a rebuild. The "chiwaneze" stuff isn't the best.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:48pm
I'm always coming across old machinery.   Agreed, don't buy Asian junk.   Monarch 10 EE is a great piece. I have one. Also a Logan 14" . Then an old 16" turret lathe. Neat old lathe, you can turn with the saddle and bore/drill with the tail stock at the same time. Both with power feed.   1/2" cut (per side) on aluminum is no problem. Don't recall the hp but it is a horse.   Serious about helping you with tooling if you get something. Duane   
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaffer CCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 11:09pm
I'd appreciate that. I have a couple Bridgeports we just bought, each with some different tooling. I have a couple friends with older nautiques that I might be able to put some kind of dimensions together from. At least see how the originals were cast. If I come up with something decent I'll post it
Gregory A Shaffer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 6:57am
Gregory,
The originals are die cast. Machining new is the way to go

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 12:48pm
When Bruce was with N3 I bought all the ones he had left,got rid of the last one just last summer. Do not recall a groove in the cap,the groove the snap ring goes into is in the hub.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When Bruce was with N3 I bought all the ones he had left,got rid of the last one just last summer. Do not recall a groove in the cap,the groove the snap ring goes into is in the hub.

Gary,
Now that I think about it, you are correct that the wire snap ring fits into the hub. It's been a few years since I've had the cap off and my memory needed to be bumped!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 1:19pm
I wouldn’t call it the hub... it’s a separate piece that is secured by screws that install through the wheel spokes and into the hub. The hub is a separate piece that mates to the helm shaft, I call the other piece a “center cap holder” for lack of a better term, that’s its primary purpose. It’s a relatively thin piece and tends to break at the flange- easily the hardest part to find as many have broken and gone missing. The center cap is hard to find now too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaffer CCR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 11:39am
Thanks for everybody's input. I can see I won't be pulling up to the correct craft dealer and grabbing one off the shelf (ha ha). When i figure something out I'll post here.
Thanks
Gregory A Shaffer
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 12:57am
I may have one in my collection. Let me know if you are still in the marketer one.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic