NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Collapsed exhaust hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collapsed exhaust hose
    Posted: June-14-2018 at 7:00pm
It seem like I read here on CCF every once in a while that marine exhaust hose is "designed to collapse internally to choke off the engine and prevent further engine damage" or some slight variation on those words, but you get the idea.

I'm wondering if anybody can show me any documentation of this?

Something like one of the hose manufacturers stating this in some technical document or even in their advertising

I agree that some hoses will collapse when the inner layer gets hot but don't go along with "designed this way"

It can happen but sure isn't designed into the hose.

Alternately if somebody could produce something from the USCG or ABYC or anybody else requiring this "feature" that would be good too.

I've got a high stakes bet with a friend riding on this (a 16 ounce can of Diet Coke) .

I say it's an old wives tale, he says it's true because he read about it on CCF

So............somebody make me lose the bet, I don't mind I really don't need the soda

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I agree that some hoses will collapse when the inner layer gets hot but don't go along with "designed this way"

It can happen but sure isn't designed into the hose.

I have a strong feeling that the concept was nothing more than an excuse that some marina dreamed up.

Unless the hose completely collapses and shuts down all exhaust to quickly shut down the engine, more damage will be done than good. The, there's the potential of a cooling water backup to the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 8:32pm
Sorry Keno you lose this bet.
I worked for Dayco Rubber from 1980 to 1990, we made those Marine Exhaust tubes.
When exposed to direct fire with no water injection like when a boat engine loses coolant flow the inner liner is designed to collapse.
When the inner liner collapses the boat loses 80% or more of its power alerting the driver to the problem.
The outer wal of Marine exhaust hose is designed to survive the exhaust heat so water outside the boat does not breach and sink your boat if a fire burns through the outer wall.
Gates Rubber and others offer Marine exhaust tubing also.
It is expensive but mandatory for safe boating.
Unfortunately twice in the last 30 years I have seen them work first hand and up close.
1987 Malibu ran on driveway, all good.
Drove to lake, neighbor launched boat while I went and parked.
I forgot to reattach my coolant intake after driveway test. By the time I got back after parking 3-4 minutes the engine was smoking and steaming. Both hose liners were collapsed. The engine suffered no damage and I ran it another 10 years. 350 Chevy.
2 years ago my brother asked me to join him on a winter test of his jet boat after a rebuild.
All was going great.
Suddenly it started losing power. This 460 powered jet can cruise at 50 mph with top speed just over 65 mph.
We were down river in the winter so we spun around and tried to get back to the dock.
Engine got hot and we shut down. There was,one coolant hose buried in the bilge bottom.
My brother changed all but this one when they fixed up the boat. I ask why he did not replace this hose and he says it was too hard to access!!!
We lost coolant, the exhaust collapsed choking off the exhaust nearly kills the engine but once again,the engine had no damage thankfully.
When you pull the burned hoes off you can look in and see the collapsed inner liner.
We sold this hose at the factory in 12 fool lengths. When I fixed my Malibu in 1990 I bought 12 foot with my employee discount.
Fixed the Malibu and stored the extra. When my brother cooked his hose we found the 460 also used 3" hose and the 25 year old Dayco leftover gave us free hose for this repair.
I would have kept it but it does not fit my 1995 Nautique.
The hose is mandated by Marine law.
Pay the man.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I worked for Dayco Rubber from 1980 to 1990, we made those Marine Exhaust tubes.
When exposed to direct fire with no water injection like when a boat engine loses coolant flow the inner liner is designed to collapse.
When the inner liner collapses the boat loses 80% or more of its power alerting the driver to the problem.
The outer wal of Marine exhaust hose is designed to survive the exhaust heat so water outside the boat does not breach and sink your boat if a fire burns through the outer wall.

Something like one of the hose manufacturers stating this in some technical document or even in their advertising

Mark,
Without any documentation especially the "marine law" you refer to it's all "hearsay" or simply marketing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Mark,
Without any documentation especially the "marine law" you refer to it's all "hearsay" or simply marketing.

Like I said I don't mind losing, but you gave a couple of stories about hose collapses and nothing documentation wise about design or a requirement to collapse.

Marine law requires a hose per SAE J 2006 whatever the latest revision is.

Does it talk about it in there? How about ABYC standards?

How about these new silicone hoses that are fully approved and can stand a lot more heat?

Kinda alters that collapse point since the silicone hose is on the inside and the outside and can withstand a lot more temperature..

I find it hard to believe the outer hose can survive straight exhaust heat either.

I really don't like to agree with Pete too often but that soda is still headed my way

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2018 at 9:46pm

I really don't like to agree with Pete too often but that soda is still headed my way

Come on Ken. I'm trying to help you get that soda!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 1:18am
There might be something about burst/melting but the mandated collapsible inner liner still seems skeptical.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 4:32am
Bite me. I gave you facts you don't like. Sorry you don't like these facts.
I guess Correct Craft and all the other MARINE MANUFACTURERS USE this type hose because they like spending your money?
Standard coolant hose is available for 1/3 the cost. Knock yourself out and save the money.
I know the law, you look it up..
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 4:35am
I avoid getting testy most times but the notes above made me want to be very clear on this subject.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 8:02am
It's a simple request.................documentation of some kind.

If you know the law, then spit it out.

I can't find this "requirement" to collapse and choke off the engine anywhere.

Sure there's a requirement for marine exhaust hose just like for marine fuel line.

It's easy to read the test requirements for marine fuel line, like I initially said I just want to find the documentation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 8:08am

I looked as well and couldn't find anything. Still trying to get you that soda!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I looked as well and couldn't find anything. Still trying to get you that soda!

It;s in my fridge right now Pete but it can wait a while. Early morning visit to drop it off

We'll let you tell me when the big bet has been won or lost pending any more info
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 8:56am
I went looking again for documentation and all I'm finding is information on hose designed to NOT collapse especially with wire reinforced. Then information on hose being able to withstand the high heat when run dry for X number of minutes. Nothing on intentional design for collapsing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 9:39pm
I went back and tried to look up the facts.   What I learned is the Law has Changed.
SAE Spec J2006R2 which I assume was an update done in 2006 changed the requirement for the Inner Wall of Marine Exhaust Hose.   It now states the hose must be designed to withstand 2 full minutes of direct exhaust without burn through.
There is a second standard for Commercial Boats with Standard SAE J1942 which I could not find the wording for.
Third there are the ABYC Safety Standards that must be met.
All seem to follow the 2006 Law for 2 minute direct dry exhaust no burn through standard.
I also found that Dayco and Gates no longer make these hoses, each company has sold a few times in the 28 years since I worked in that industry.
My information by todays standards is OBSOLETE so I apologize for sharing obsolete information and then standing on it rather than verifying.   I did know it to be true both by training and experience which has normally been solid, but things change and I was obsolete on this subject.
I found another note stating there was a change in 1996.   I don't know when the collapsible Exhaust hose was taken off the market but it was between 1987 and 2006.
I knew I never should have hit send on my note last night but I it was late, no excuse. I was wrong. My apologies.
We did make this hose back in the 80's and it was the standard at that time.
I suspect all of our boats that have not had a hose replaced still have the old style on our boats if they were built prior to the standard changing.
I should have to send you a Coke also since I am wrong on this. Maybe a beer also since I was rude with my response.
Aside from personal experience I remember Dayco being sued by a Tug Boat operator at Long Beach Harbor, a Tug boat lost coolant while operating and burned through the Exhaust tube allowing sea water to come in and the dang thing sank.   They had Dayco hose on the boat at the time it sank.   The Lawsuit was for nearly $100K back in the 80's that was a huge suit.   Dayco was found innocent because the mechanic had installed regular coolant hose not the Marine Exhaust hose. I remember at the time our staff said the tug would never have sunk if the proper hose was installed because the inner wall collapse would have shut down the engine.   You don't forget big cases like this.
Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 10:01pm
I'd say no apologies needed We all know a little more now, or at least I do.

But.............about that soda, If I'm ever in Folsom CA I'll be hunting you down to split a coke or a beer with.

I'll buy.

It was just one of those things I couldn't find any info on.

By the way, me and my buddy split the soda this afternoon
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 10:09pm
One other thing Mark

What's a 16 ounce can of soda cost out there in California? I hear everything is expensive out there.

I'm cheap so I might wanna buy it here and take it with me.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2018 at 10:43pm
Ken - Skip the soda & get some midwestern pop.

PS Pete likes Moxie!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 12:08am
I would not apologize Mark remember that none of these guys have a boat built anywhere near when the law was changed. If the impellers have never been changed since 1983 don't think for one minute the exhaust hoses have been.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 2:36am
You guys are kind, I was ready to take a few lashes.
A very cold beer sounds better along with a ski pull if you make out West.
Have a great Fathers Day weekend.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2018 at 7:02am
Mark,
I appreciate you taking the time and getting down to what's current with the hose. Thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 7:23am
Thanks Pete, While looking at the hose options I noticed they now offer Soft Wall hose that has the same rating. That would be a real help for short connections on install.
The old style hoses were so stiff it took two men and a boy to hood them up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 7:57am
Charlie (brady) just finished installing new hose in his Cuda. He used the Vetus and was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was. He even posted a review at Jamestown.

"Brady from Northern Wisconsin

Comments about Vetus Vetus Exhaust Hose:
I have worked with old fashioned exhaust hose in the past, stiff and inflexible. The Vetus hose was so flexible it made the job easy!
Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friends."

The Cuda's have a very tight bend with zero clearance under the aft seat but the Vetus made it without a problem. He said it also went on easy over the thru hulls and the manifold elbows. It's more expensive but not as much as going to silicone hose. Well worth the extra cost.

"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic