NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

G boat problems?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G boat problems?
    Posted: June-18-2018 at 12:37pm
Has anyone heard about prop shaft breaking problems CC is having? I know of one up here that's on it's 5th shaft since last season. I wonder if I need to go over to the dealer and see if they know how to do an alignment!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:23pm
Yea big topic on PN in the past still happens every now and then,but 2015 I think were the big years. They are breaking between the strut and prop.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:34pm
sounds like shaft size isnt correct.   Bigger engines, bigger props etc. Wake board tanks with lots of load.   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:47pm
They increased the shaft size and it still happens. Google planet nautique g23 drive shaft issues if you want to see pictures. I have a theory that it's the crappy music they play while surfing, prop says I'm outa here......
5th shaft a season up there must average every time they go out,ice chunks caught between hull and prop?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 1:56pm
Yep.. I’m on one of the Nautique Owners Facebook pages and it seems somebody is posting about this happening every few weeks.

Matter of fact...this was posted this morning.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 2:04pm
I believe that all G boats now have 1-1/4” shafts- the 550hp SC still has the 1.5:1 v-drive but the lower engine options have 2:1 reduction and they all need that big shaft with the amount of torque they’re putting to the prop. I think the very early production boats may have used 1-1/8” and the fix is to upsize.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 2:09pm
Gary,
Thanks, I was just over on PN and the 1&1/4"s are breaking too. Same spot were the key way begins weakening the shaft. Maybe they should try forgoing the keyway and just lap the prop to the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 2:33pm
I thought it looks like 1/4 “ out from the key way start but not seeing one in person it’s just speculation. Must be something up, the people providing the shafting should know what they are doing, something they have never had happen before, hp, weight, girlie tunes...
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 3:40pm
General Propeller makes the shafts but they make them per the customers specs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 3:50pm
There are different alloys that are stronger, not sure how good etc.

General makes good stuff. they made my replacement shaft. Took my old one over to them with the prop and coupler and they made new shaft and reworked my prop.   
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:09pm
The original issue (which ended up as a recall) was that they spec'd a 1-1/4" shaft but instead of getting Acme to design a specific propeller they just turned the shaft down to a 1-1/8" taper so all of that extra shaft strength was lost where the taper connected to the rest of the shaft.

They swapped them all out to the correct shaft and propeller and they are still having issues? That sucks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:17pm
What prop (dia. and pitch) are they putting on the 550hp?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:28pm
They probably need to go with these. Not only will they be able to eliminate the shaft, they'll be able to get rid of the rudder and steering wheel as well.

https://www.thrustmaster.net/azimuth-thrusters/z-drives-for-the-inland-waterways/
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Has anyone heard about prop shaft breaking problems CC is having? I know of one up here that's on it's 5th shaft since last season. I wonder if I need to go over to the dealer and see if they know how to do an alignment!

Maybe you should take your galvanic corrosion chart over with you Pete, and you could see if they're using some inferior SS screws in the strut along with explaining the finer points of galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

They probably need to go with these. Not only will they be able to eliminate the shaft, they'll be able to get rid of the rudder and steering wheel as well.

https://www.thrustmaster.net/azimuth-thrusters/z-drives-for-the-inland-waterways/

Those Z-Drives are pretty cool. We've had a couple of vessels with those and the maneuverability is off the charts. Great for dynamic positioning, too.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce,
I sure agree the G's need it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 7:33pm
It would be interesting to know if the metallurgical failure is torsion only or is there some cyclic bending stresses from the prop overhang.   Possibly a collar between strut & prop would reinforce it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 7:52pm
I would try spoon cutting the key way. Sure couldnt hurt. My little 1 incher is spoon cut with a pinned key but the machinist is a friend. Does anyone know what shafting is in use? The Aquamet 22 though pricey is pretty dang tough stuff and usually specified for higher torque applications. I kind of doubt thats being used but I really have no idea.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

The Aquamet 22 though pricey is pretty dang tough stuff and usually specified for higher torque applications. I kind of doubt thats being used but I really have no idea.

Why would the "bean counters" allow the PA to buy the good stuff for a 200K boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 11:30pm

I would try spoon cutting the key way. Sure couldnt hurt. My little 1 incher is spoon cut with a pinned key but the machinist is a friend. Does anyone know what shafting is in use? The Aquamet 22 though pricey is pretty dang tough stuff and usually specified for higher torque applications. I kind of doubt thats being used but I really have no idea.

What’s wrong with splines? Keyway takes a lot of material out of the shaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

What’s wrong with splines? Keyway takes a lot of material out of the shaft.

A spline removes even more material plus it isn't a tight fit like a taper.

I think MC uses them because their owners would be mentally challenged to lap a prop to the shaft.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:46am
Splines are ridges or teeth on a drive shaft that mesh with grooves in a mating piece and transfer torque to it, maintaining the angular correspondence between them. ... An alternative to splines is a keyway and key, though splines provide a longer fatigue life.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 7:54am
A spline is a multiple keyway. Since you are spreading the torsional forces over multiple areas, you can decrease the induced stresses. This is shown in Machine Design texts like Shigley and Mischke.

The keyway isn’t supposed to transmit torque but when most dealers cannot properly lap in the prop to the shaft, I like splines better.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 8:01am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

The keyway isn’t supposed to transmit torque but when most dealers cannot properly lap in the prop to the shaft, I like splines better.

Sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for owning a MC.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 8:19am
Pete

They make a good boat CC makes a better one though!😂
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 10:55am

I would try spoon ing My little 1 incher is pretty dang tough for higher torque applications. I kind of doubt thats being used
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:03pm
Bravo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:15pm
Turning a 1-1/4” shaft down to 1-1/8” at the End of the shaft and expecting nothing bad to happen shows some seriously weak judgement at some level, regardless of keyway/splines. 550 HP is a crapload of power! I wonder what the torque is on that beast.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:23pm
G series boats are wrecking shorelines everywhere they are operated. I have no sympathy for the owners who experience broken prop shafts. Usually operated while surfing with a beer laden crew who is jamming rasta music at deafening sound levels.
Legislation certainly has to be coming as our shorelines continue to erode. It may be different where you live.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:32pm
Indeed the erosion problem is real. Any large boat driving bow up (cabin cruisers certainly outnumber wake boats) is going to erode the crap out of shoreline property. I get a bit nuts when my wife drives “slowly” in an effort to “take it easy”. No wake or on plane is the right way to motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic