NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken ribs, any sugestions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken ribs, any sugestions
    Posted: June-20-2018 at 5:05pm
Hi, 2 weeks ago I took a nasty fall of a slalom ski, resulting in 2 broken and 2 cracked rib's.
I am now looking for advise on flotation vests etc that have some sort of armour to protect the rib cage, I am 66 so cant take the bumps like I used to but no way giving up on the water.
I am in the UK bat any help would be useful
Cheers
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:09pm
Time time and more time. It took me several months before i felt back to normal. I am sure this is not the answer you are looking for.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:37pm
So a termite walks into a bar and asks, "where is the bar tender?"
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:45pm
My dog used to chase people on a bike a lot. It got so bad, finally I had to take his bike away.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:47pm
A wife goes to consult a psychiatrist about her husband: “My husband is acting so weird. He drinks his morning coffee and then he goes and eats the mug! He only leaves the handle!”

Psychiatrist: “Yes, that is weird. The handle is the best part.“

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:50pm
I have an EpiPen. My friend gave it to me when he was dying, it seemed very important to him that I have it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:51pm
What do you call a dog that does magic tricks?
A labracadabrador.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:53pm
Have you heard about those new corduroy pillows? They're making headlines.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:54pm
I couldn't figure out why the baseball kept getting larger. Then it hit me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 7:57pm
What's ET short for?
He's only got little legs.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 8:16pm
John, you know how to hurt a guy don't you !
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 10:53pm
Like Bill said, Time, time and more time. A friend broke some ribs early last spring in a bicyle wreck. He waited the allotted time and started skiing mid summer. His second outing he took a hard fall and rebroke those and 2 more, puncturing a long and being in intensive care for a few days (while away on vacation) Barefoot legend John gillette took a slalom spill last summer and was out the rest of the season due to fractured ribs.   I did an informal survey of those two guys to see if they were in those worthless non USCG approved vests, but both were in USCG approved. I cant help but think that would make some difference. When you do resume, make sure it is a well padded vest.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 11:09pm
I’m 37 and took a hard fall last summer on the ribs. Didn’t break anything, but damn it was sore for a loooong time!! Like others have said it takes time to heal the ribs. Good luck and feel better soon!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 11:35pm
A man walks into a zoo. The only animal in the entire zoo is a dog.
It's a shihtzu..
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 12:29am
That pain is much like a bacerds barefoot fall....it remains etched in your memory for a very long time. Laughing, coughing, and the worst-sneezing!   
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 2:12am
Ok, thanks Baitkiller, I see what you were trying to do but the very old jokes just didn't make me laugh, I recon you must be a bit of a sadist, Not the first time I have broken ribs, but, time to brush up on the boat driving skill's
Cheers to you all
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 9:23am
My pleasure Dave. I cant buy you a drink so some jokes are the best that I could do. And yeah, Im the guy that will slap your sun burn...
Get better soon,
John
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 11:52am
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 1:45pm
I hydrofoil and found that even small hits were injuring my ribs. I have broken and separated my ribs previously (not on the water). The separations never seem to heal as strongly as the original cartilage bond. So I bought a go kart vest to wear under my flotation jacket. Works great! I take hits from 12 feet up and no problems with my ribs (the rest of my body doesn't like it). Lightweight, holds almost no water and fits under my flotation jacket well. Only thing I did was remove the plastic buckles and replaced them with straps and Velcro so the buckles wouldn't pimp me in the chest and take up a lot of room. Just a suggestion :)
http://www.ribtect.com/RibtectVest_Three.html

DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2018 at 2:44pm
Well both the body armour ideas have got me searching the UK sites, my son has kart raced,(beat Jensen Button once) and moto crossed so i'll look .. thanks.
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
dynasim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynasim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:42pm
I use kayaking vests. They are not ski approved, but are very snug, padded in the appropriate places, and secure.

I don't know why they say no water skiing.

I have hurt my limbs far more than my torso, but I am a big guy, and don't do high intensity stuff.

Chris.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2018 at 12:41am
One caution with ribs, after they feel good again, about 5-6 weeks, you forget they were hurt and do silly things. I decided to move a dresser and re broke my rib. I did not even think of the ribs since I was pain free at that time. I did not forget the next time around.
Be patient.   Once they feel good mark a calendar for 2 more weeks of healing.
Hope they heal fast.
I would not even consider skiing with broken ribs, a bad fall could be life threatening.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic