Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

speedometer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speedometer
    Posted: June-22-2018 at 11:21pm
My speedometer needles on my 88 need repainting, is the set screw std or metric? I cant seem to get them off, shld I use penetrating oil prior?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Kat Daddy Kat Daddy wrote:

, is the set screw std or metric?

Trey,
What set screw and what is "std."?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

, is the set screw std or metric?

Trey,
What set screw and what is "std."?

The one in the lower middle of the clear plastic face that has nothing to do with being able to get at the needle. It's for adjusting the speedometers. You have to take it apart to get at the needle

std is for American would be my guess
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 12:19pm
On many airguides in the late 80’s, there are larger (~3/8” diam) adjustment knobs that must be taken off to remove the lens, and the knobs are held in place by very small Allen head set screws. I do not recall the size offhand but it’s small and oddball for sure. Airguide was an American company so I’d bet on it not being metric.

A pic would probably help these guys calibrate their eyes if they’re not familiar with all eras of Airguides... I have some but can’t post easily from the phone.
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 12:52pm
In the knob that adjust the speedo, there is a small set screw that im guessing needs to be loosened so the knob will come off to remove the faceplate. But its so small and rusted, not sure how else to take it apart and clean it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 1:02pm

In the knob that adjust the speedo, there is a small set screw that im guessing needs to be loosened so the knob will come off to remove the faceplate. But its so small and rusted, not sure how else to take it apart and clean it

No need to guess. Tim explained that the knob does need to come off.
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

adjustment knobs that must be taken off to remove the lens, and the knobs are held in place by very small Allen head set screws.

Have you tried to use any hex wrench sizes?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 1:39pm
He and i must have posted at the same time, i have tried a small allen, but must have been a size smaller than needed, i will go buy some, but didnt know if they were metric or standard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 2:03pm
I suspect the SHCS is a #4 or 5 so it would take a 3/32 hex key. The next size down would be a 5/64"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 2:13pm
Thank you sir for yer help
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On many airguides in the late 80’s, there are larger (~3/8” diam) adjustment knobs that must be taken off to remove the lens, and the knobs are held in place by very small Allen head set screws. I do not recall the size offhand but it’s small and oddball for sure. Airguide was an American company so I’d bet on it not being metric.

A pic would probably help these guys calibrate their eyes if they’re not familiar with all eras of Airguides... I have some but can’t post easily from the phone.

I look at a pair of those newer ones on a daily basis and have to say "Tim you're right".   

Never have taken the newer ones apart, but the set screw in the side of the knob is teeny-tiny.

A 1/16 allen wrench is way too big.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic