Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 SN trans noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 SN trans noise
    Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:23am
Hey y'all!
Last night I swapped the trans fluid in my 89SN. My father underneath the boat hosing the shaft & strut bearing I let the boat idle in forward gear to get some circulation and a little heat in the fluid before I sucked it out. When I knocked it in gear it almost sounded like it had some pebbles rolling around in the case. This is the first time I've swapped the fluid like this and the first time I've heard the trans in gear unloaded so this could be normal, just curious what the consensus is. My worst fear was that something is fixing to break in the near future.
The trans otherwise performs flawlessly and has the typical PCM40 1.23-1 whine or whirr that they're known for.

Thanks in advance!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:26am
Could be a bad damper plate. Can you post a recording?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by throttle out throttle out wrote:

. This is the first time I've swapped the fluid like this and the first time I've heard the trans in gear unloaded so this could be normal,
Thanks in advance!

What you said

It's normal under those conditions
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 10:39am
Sam,
get it out on the lake for a good test. The rattle you are hearing could be normal. At a low RPM, the planetary gear set will rattle. Did you happen to notice the RPM?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sam,
get it out on the lake for a good test. The rattle you are hearing could be normal. At a low RPM, the planetary gear set will rattle. Did you happen to notice the RPM?

Agreed .   You tested with absolutely no load on the trans. The prop in the water produces a large loading factor at even 500 RPM. With boat out of the water the shaft is prone to unload and your hearing noise as Pete referred to. Feel the noise will go away when you put it in the water
Reply back after your lake test please
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 10:56pm
I changed out my trans fluid for the first time in years this spring in my 86 SN. Flushed it twice before filling it the final time. I heard the same gravelly noise when the boat was up on the trailer and I put it in forward and reverse to warm up and move the fluid around during each flush.

Used it for the first time Friday to pull the kids and didn't hear anything odd from the trans and it shifted just fine.
Builder
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 4:40pm
Hi Guys,
Thought I might ask a question here even though this trans noise flush has seemed to work itself out.....

I own a 1980 SN and had a similar noise / slip when I was running it on my main voyage a couple of weeks ago. Flushed once and replaced the fluid once. Additionally I have replaced the throttle and trans control cables and related misc parts. Upon further inspection, I noticed the trans cooler (5" long with 1" barbs and 3/8" npt fittings original equipment) was slightly damaged due to the previous owner over fighting the cooler bracket, potentially compromising the trans cooler flow..... I have elected to replace the cooler.

My question is... might a 9" long cooler be better than the 5" one, all things being the same?
I realize these things can't be generalized, but cooler, trans-wise it would seem that cooler is better.   
G. Neil
1980 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic