Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Alignment in cutless bearing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skicraz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Alignment in cutless bearing
    Posted: July-30-2006 at 11:46pm
Hey Yall!

I have just put a new engine in my 80 SN that I just bought 2 months ago and all went pretty well until I was out running around the lake on its maiden voyage. There was some smoking going on and turned out to be some fiberglass around the strut.

Pulled out the boat and took the paking nut and hose loose and determined that the shaft was rubbing on the strut. Got hot and was starting to burn the glass. So it was not aligned.

Well we have adjusted the engine and tranny to align the shaft to the strut. pretty equal amount of distance all the way around the opening of the strut.

I noticed though that the distance around the shaft in the cutless bearing is not equal. Is that normal or should it be. I am putting it back in the water tomorrow to check it out. Any help would me great before I destroy something bad.

Man I love the wake this thing puts out! Wish I had this thing 20-25 years ago. My knees would hurt even more!!

Thanks!!!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 4:48pm
I think you are mixing you terms. the strut is the part on the bottom of the boat that support the driveshaft. No way the strut got hot enough to burn fiberglass while being submerged in water.

Now, I believe you are actually talking about the shaft log and gland packing. Yes, if the engine is not properly positioned, it could rub on the shaft log. Center it up in the log as best as possible, block it in position and then align the hub to flange in accordance with instruction easily found by searching. Important thing is that the gap all around the hub and flange is virtually the same. Check, turn shaft, check again, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic