NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New engine - maiden voyage and ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 8:41pm
Since the TPS and the MAP sensor combine to tell the computer what engine load is so it can make adjustments, it makes sense to me that the TPS not being adjusted right would affect the idle.

Also if you look at page 2A-22 (edit, it's really 2A-23) of the GT-40 manual, it talks about things that will make the computer raise your idle RPM to about 800. That would be a bad (out of range] signal from the ECT sensor, ACT sensor or TPS switch.

Gee that TPS switch keeps popping up in the conversation.

Now as far as that break in period, you obviously misunderstood. They meant minutes instead of hours

You have a few hours on it already,it's time to treat it like it's my boat and you stole it from me.

Could be that your tach reads a little high too
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 8:11pm
Ran great Ken! Smooth acceleration, temps, pressure and volts all perfect. Taking it easy for the first several hours. Ship says 40 hour break-in with the first 10 under 2000 rpm and 3000 for the next 10. I don't know about that, I was going to ask some of the more seasoned guys on the forum that have more experience with Ford platforms than myself.

I had time to get 3 hours in on Saturday but Momma had a home list for Sunday. However I did pull the boat out that evening to go through some things to see if I could track down the problem and I think I found a major contributor to the surging. It seems the throttle position sensor may have been in a bind and not functioning well or at all with the butterfly. After reinstalling it and verifying it's movement, the engine surging   calmed considerably. It still has the typical mild surging when cold but after a minute that goes away and it for the most part will idle very smooth and consistent now, albeit still a little on the high side, about 850-900.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 11:48pm
Joe

You didn't mention how the engine ran other than the loping issue, so how'd it run otherwise?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 3:13pm
Bet this one in the link would fit, it's a little lacking in the color dept though

link
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Joe

I checked with this guy

and he said he didn't have a clue but that as a guess, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge might come in handy for some adjustment of your fuel pressure/flow to see if that helps in case it's an issue with the ECM not being able to compensate..

You can probably find one to match your color scheme too. Red, white, blue, black silver or even yellow to match the hull intake

BINGO !!    Found just the right thing ... all the correct colors anyway   
Thanks for the suggestion

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 10:27am
Hi Joe

I checked with this guy

and he said he didn't have a clue but that as a guess, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge might come in handy for some adjustment of your fuel pressure/flow to see if that helps in case it's an issue with the ECM not being able to compensate..

You can probably find one to match your color scheme too. Red, white, blue, black silver or even yellow to match the hull intake
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 9:51am
Can you rig up a signal generator to control IAC manually (for test)?

If you can rule out an erratic signal, then maybe focus on airflow anomalies.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 12:14am
So the boat finally made it to the lake today and for the most part was doing well with only one minor hic-up while warming up on the ramp. I noticed a small fuel leak from the LP/ HP fuel pump fittings. Apparently while assembling the two I neglected to fully seat the 90 deg fitting off the LP pump to the HP pump. A quick R & R to tighten the fitting and all was good - still don't know why it wasn't leaking on the hose in the driveway, but at least I caught it before heading out on the lake.   

However, that pesky GT40 surging problem is back ... and with a vengeance! It's worse now than when I first bought the boat. Puzzling, because I had bought a new IAC last fall that had all but cured the problem. And after the winter rebuild, I had taken literally everything apart, cleaned, lubed, painted and whatever else every single part that I was reusing, including the nearly brand new IAC.   Bad weather moved in late this afternoon so I was barely able to get the tower collapsed and boat in the garage before it started pouring so it didn't get a once over tonight, but I will be doing that tomorrow to see if there is an obvious cause.

The question here is assuming I find the IAC is functioning properly, what could possibly cause the surging to be so much worse? I hadn't noticed it before because breaking in the cam/ lifters I was fluctuating the RPM's constantly anyway.   But today it didn't seem like the IAC was functioning ONLY at idle - it seemed to be working overtime even at 1000-1500 rpm. I was under the impression that the IAC was only supposed to play a part at idle but not once throttle is increased.   Any ideas?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic