Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Injection

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KenVan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Injection
    Posted: July-05-2018 at 1:53pm
I have a '68 CC Mustang with a 289, 4 bbl. I would like to convert to fuel injection. There are several kits out there that seem like they'd work well. Howel Engineering has told me that their system will work very well without the O2 sensor, and this would certainly simplify the installation. Have any of you converted your motors to EFI? How did it go? What issues did you encounter? What system did you use?

I'm sure that some of you might be sickened by the idea of scraping a carb and you might even feel compelled to leave a not-so-nice comment here. Please don't. I would appreciate only constructive ideas from people who have ventured down this path. Personally, I think 4 bbl carbs are among the coolest things to sit atop a motor...but this is 2018. Carbs are headed in the same direction as the dinosaurs and EFI is a wonderful thing.
'68 CC Mustang, original owner
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 2:10pm
Several informative threads here about that. Bottom line: Very difficult to find a marine-specific and USCG approved fuel injection system. Also, due to the wet exhaust systems, the Oxygen Sensor required for fuel injection is a difficult problem to solve. Most will tell you to spend the money on a new carb, distributor and intake manifold.

Just my 2 cents...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 2:37pm
Using your thinking “it’s 2018” leave the Mustang alone and buy a FI boat. If you insist of wanting a 68 fuel injected boat drop in a new motor and take advantage of a true computer controlled fuel injected engine instead as also fits pieced together system IMHO.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KenVan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:05pm
Thank you. USCG approval is a concern...but I would think EFI would be much safer than a carb in all respects. Also, O2 sensor is optional on some kits. What I've learned is that the O2 sensor provides vital feedback when the motor is under varying 'strain' or load. For example; in a car, you have multiple gear ratios, a shifting transmission, uphill strain, downhill strain, quick acceleration for passing, towing strain, etc. In a boat, you have one forward gear and relatively steady drag throughout the throttle range. Therefore, the fuel delivery curve on a boat motor can be programmed and set into the EFI computer upon setup, and then it's fixed. You can always tweak the program if necessary, but . This method is not as efficient as getting O2 sensor feedback into the computer, but the boat operator will never notice the difference and the system (so I've been told) will work swimmingly.

I want "turn key" every spring, without fail.
KenVan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Using your thinking “it’s 2018” leave the Mustang alone and buy a FI boat. If you insist of wanting a 68 fuel injected boat drop in a new motor and take advantage of a true computer controlled fuel injected engine instead as also fits pieced together system IMHO.

It's complicated...    The lake we live on has horsepower limits imposed in the 1970's; 140 HP and 18' length max. I would buy a new Nautique, but I can't put it on this lake. My boat has been 'grandfathered' in since we owned it prior to the regulations. I need to keep this baby running. A neighbor of ours bought a Nautique 176, and they made him put a 4 cylinder engine in it. It can barely get out of it's own way. So sad.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:18pm
If I was thinking about maybe doing something like this, I might talk to the outfit in the link since they advertise a marine EFI system for 302 Fords (not exactly your 289)

I have no knowledge about dealing with the company, but have seen their stuff on older Jeeps and it worked well.

link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:51pm
Please understand I'm just being devils advocate. It does not matter to you if you feel a FI system is safer than a carb,it's the Coast Guard who determines that. Say if you did use non approved components and something happened,a sharp lawyer could put you into a world of hurt. That said are you looking for an off the shelf throttle body type system or port injection system you could build up yourself like a Megasquirt system and using say 5.0 Mustang intake components? Maybe you could find a working PCM Pro Tec system- the hurtle there being finding a working system and making a 351 distributor fit a 289. It's going to be alot of work any way you go. Do you have an Interceptor in it now?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KenVan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 4:04pm

Please understand I'm just being devils advocate. It does not matter to you if you feel a FI system is safer than a carb,it's the Coast Guard who determines that. Say if you did use non approved components and something happened,a sharp lawyer could put you into a world of hurt. That said are you looking for an off the shelf throttle body type system or port injection system you could build up yourself like a Megasquirt system and using say 5.0 Mustang intake components? Maybe you could find a working PCM Pro Tec system- the hurtle there being finding a working system and making a 351 distributor fit a 289. It's going to be alot of work any way you go. Do you have an Interceptor in it now?

Yes; Interceptor.

I understand about the USCG. They merely enforce regulations and it's the regulations that I might disagree with, but that is neither here nor there. Assume for the purpose of this forum that we're talking about a USCG approved system.

I'm looking for a TBI. Several years ago, I looked at a system by Howell Engineering. It's a refurbished Chevy TBI, computer, harness, complete system. I didn't pull the trigger then because I suspected that better systems were on the horizon. FAST makes a slick throttle body that closely resembles a 4 bbl carb, but they do not currently offer a marine system with optional O2 sensor. A previous post just above here provided a link to Affordable Fuel Injection's website and they have a very reasonable kit/system. I think the hardest part of the install might be adding a return fuel line to the tank. USCG approval might end up being the determining factor.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by KenVan KenVan wrote:

Fuel Injection, is certainly not going to accomplish this for you.
Just ask anyone who has it. I dont think "turn key" every spring truly exists in the world of boating. There will always be maintenance and general work that will need to be done. Personally the closest you might get is a yamaha outboard. But even then if you think you're going to shut it off in november and fire it back up in april without a hiccup it may only work for a few consecutive years.
If you're unable to do the work each season find a mechanic who can. You will probably break even as far as costs go vs going with a peiced together F.I.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

I agree.

Ken,
maybe we can help if you describe the problem you have in the springs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 4:49pm
Now as far as the USCG goes, there is the category of parts that have actually been tested and received the USCG "stamp of approval". They usually advertise that fact pretty prominently and have a sticker or tag on that piece of equipment that says it's approved.

Then there are those companies that advertise that their piece of equipment meets USCG standards. They haven't got the "stamp of approval" though because they haven't undergone the expensive testing.

But people use the stuff and the company lawyers must know it's OK if for example somebody blows themselves and a couple of passengers 20 ft into the air .because for example their non USCG approved, but meets the specs distributor caused an explosion.

Everybody with a DUI marine distributor raise your hand now and say it "meets the specs, but it doesn't have that official stamp of approval" and tell KenVan how a marine AFI system is any different than your favorite distributor.

I don't know the answer to the meets vs approved issue but I figure those lawyers for all these different companies aren't too worried about it for some reason.

DUI is just an example, there are plenty of others selling marine stuff that "meets the spec"

AFI advertises that it's marine and they go to boat shows selling it so they must have confidence in it's marine capabilities

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 5:46pm
Here you go take off the parts you don't need, use your Interceptor mounts,bellhousing,exhaust,etc, get a PCM 1.23 trans to spin the prop the correct way and off you go! And it could be theoretically serviced by a Volvo Penta dealer
Knock on wood,for the last 5 seasons my 95 fires off after sitting for 6 months just like I ran it yesterday,but I think the carb'd ones would too if they used electric fuel pumps
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 6:16pm

,for the last 5 seasons my 95 fires off after sitting for 6 months just like I ran it yesterday,but I think the carb'd ones would too if they used electric fuel pumps

After a layup, all it takes with a carb'd engine with a mechanical pump is a couple squirts of gas down the manifold and they fire up just like it ran yesterday too.

I always have one of these when I get an engine running come spring.

Sure does save me having to spend $1,500 on a FI system that's questionable with the USCG!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 7:54pm

Knock on wood,for the last 5 seasons my 95 fires off after sitting for 6 months just like I ran it yesterday,but I think the carb'd ones would too if they used electric fuel pumps

Gary I was going to say something but didn't want to side track the thread. Just a little over two weeks ago I fired up my '95 for the first time since last fall.
Reinstalled the impeller, tightened the belts, added 10 gallons of fresh gas, hooked up the battery and I don't think the starter turned two times and she's alive!!!!
KenVan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 8:21pm

Just ask anyone who has it. I dont think "turn key" every spring truly exists in the world of boating. There will always be maintenance and general work that will need to be done. Personally the closest you might get is a yamaha outboard. But even then if you think you're going to shut it off in november and fire it back up in april without a hiccup it may only work for a few consecutive years.
If you're unable to do the work each season find a mechanic who can. You will probably break even as far as costs go vs going with a peiced together F.I.

Wise words, generally speaking. But we've owned the boat since it was new (it's a 1968) and it has always been very reliable. It's a Correct Craft, right? I added electronic ignition in the 90's, and that has proven to be a good upgrade. My only issues recently have been with the fuel system, and in this era of ethanolized fuel. Ethanol is not friendly to these older systems. Since I can't get ethanol-free gas (at a reasonable cost), I want to modernize the fuel system to accommodate the fuel.

I'm not necessarily looking for feedback from those who have a stock EFI boat, because I don't think those are great systems. I'm looking for feedback from those who have put aftermarket EFI on their motor. Do you have any experience with aftermarket EFI systems?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 8:41pm

My only issues recently have been with the fuel system, and in this era of ethanolized fuel. Ethanol is not friendly to these older systems. Since I can't get ethanol-free gas (at a reasonable cost), I want to modernize the fuel system to accommodate the fuel.

Ken,
I'm curious as to what problems are you having with the ethanol? I too run ethanol and have since they started making it. I have never had any problems with my 54, 64 or 77 and have done nothing to them. In all honesty, sometimes I feel people use the ethanol as an excuse to engine problems they can't diagnose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 10:23pm

Here is my fuel injected boats label next to the filler,they really don't like alcohol either . Maybe it's more of a handling problem rather than a fuel type. Do you use any fuel stabilizer? If I could I would not use alcohol either but here we have no choice.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 10:37pm
Pete,

I think the engineers at PCM have good reasons to suggest only using non ethanol fuels in all PCM engines. Most small engine manufacturers also do not recommend ethanol fuels. Specifically I own Honda and Stihl power equipment stating non ethanol fuel only.

David
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 11:23pm
I think PCM recommends it to cover their butts. Back in the late 80's they told you to use leaded gas in their engines too,when it had already been phased out in the automotive world. No one even worries about that anymore
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:22am

Do you have any experience with aftermarket EFI systems?

I do.
And the point I think that's being tossed around here is that EFI may not suffer the SAME problems as a carburetor and a mechanical pump do. But they do tend to develop and suffer THEIR OWN special problems. Which tend to be very specific to each efi. Even the early efi sustems still run a mechanical AND an elec pump. Each generation runs different fuel pressures, some have diagnostic capabilities some do not. And when you do have problems and need help it can be hard to get support from both online searches as well as manufacturers.

That said; if I was to convert my engine tomorrow I would not try and peice together a kit or swap from a different motor. I would go with a stand alone system that's programmable or I wouldnt go with anything. Carry a few spare O2 sensors and have fun.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 2:36am
Also. For aftermarket efi I have only dealt with Howell and MoTec. But the systems I dealt with are probably long outdated now from what I've seen on the magazine pages lately. The motec could be custom mapped but it did not record pulls so we had to make notes and adjust it after.
Today I believe most are self learning. And will record data for use while tuning.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 7:08am

Also. For aftermarket efi I have only dealt with Howell and MoTec. .

Tony,
Were these on marine engines?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 7:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tony,

Don't worry pete Motec have it covered....fully polyurethane-potted versions of the M400, M600 and M800 ECUs

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 8:58am

Tony,

So Pete................KenVan came here looking for info on fuel injection systems, he got pointed towards AFI who happens to sell a marine system that just might work on his engine.

It's no less "marine" than a DUI distributor

AFI has been around for quite a while and sells good stuff.

He wants a Fuel Injection system, he didn't come here to get talked out of it.

Maybe you should tell him to ditch the Electronic ignition he put on it in the 90's cause it's "unreliable".

Maybe you should get rid of your Electronic ignition while you're at it   

And........give him some credit for wanting to try this.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Tony,

So Pete................KenVan came here looking for info on fuel injection systems, he got pointed towards AFI who happens to sell a marine system that just might work on his engine.

It's no less "marine" than a DUI distributor

AFI has been around for quite a while and sells good stuff.

He wants a Fuel Injection system, he didn't come here to get talked out of it.

And........give him some credit for wanting to try this.

Ken,
Where are you getting the impression I'm trying to talk him out of trying a FI system?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 9:34am

Sure does save me having to spend $1,500 on a FI system that's questionable with the USCG!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 9:56am
Ken - Maybe you can find a bad (mechanically) FI marine engine & salvage the fuel system. Maybe put an adjustable pressure regulator on it t adjust for difference in displacement.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:11am

Tony,

Sorry I meant to say these were on street vehicles, so obviously a little different but the idea is the same. I caution against factory ecm run systems unless it's a factory power, factory setup. Because tuning is not easy to accomplish, a stand alone "learning computer" will allow you feedback and easier tuneability. I have run into problems with the 500efi merc systems before and remapping nightmares. So that's where my worry comes from.

So the question; is that old girl worth dropping the dime on the T1000's neural networking processor? That's not for us to decide. However if you go with a 302 based Efi I feel you may get a rich idle. Im not sure the power differences. But at least there is a good chance you will not lean her out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:13am

,for the last 5 seasons my 95 fires off after sitting for 6 months just like I ran it yesterday,but I think the carb'd ones would too if they used electric fuel pumps

After a layup, all it takes with a carb'd engine with a mechanical pump is a couple squirts of gas down the manifold and they fire up just like it ran yesterday too.

I always have one of these when I get an engine running come spring.

Ken,
maybe we can help if you describe the problem you have in the springs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2018 at 10:47am
A little trip down memory lane Pete

That squirt can sure does cure everything

Did you rebuild it yet?

link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic