Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Choke Not Closing Fully When Cold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choke Not Closing Fully When Cold
    Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:01pm
I found the reason my engine was hard to start cold. The Choke not closing fully...I pushed it shut and it fired right up cold with two pumps. What could be preventing it from closing fully when cold?? Is there a spring that needs to be replaced? I am not sure how it works! Once that is corrected she will purrrrrr!

Thanks!
Otto
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:21pm
google automatic holley choke adjustment
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:26pm
Chris,
From your other post:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

What could be preventing it from closing fully when closed??
Thanks!

Try the adjustment of the bimetallic spring housing when the engine is cold. It's the black cover with the three screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 7:01pm
Ok... how would I adjust it? I wish I had a manual. Can you please kibitz me on how to do this?

Thank you!!!!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

google automatic holley choke adjustment

Googled for you

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:07pm
Otto

Here are some pictures for you

First one is the cover with the heating element inside The 3 screws holding it to the housing are already removed.

Second one is the housing with the cover removed

Third one is the inside of the cover with the bimetallic spring that heats up when voltage is applied .

Have you tried to adjust the cover, this was mentioned in your earlier thread and again in this one. CCW will make the choke close more and take longer to open. That's what you want to do. It's kinda backward from what might seem logical.

If that doesn't work take the cover off like in the pictures and you'll see how the loop in the end of the spring fits over the tang in the housing and you'll be able to inspect the spring.

If you put 12 volts to the heating element connections, you can watch the spring heat up and "unwind".

If that doesn't happen you have a bad heating element but since you say the boat runs great otherwise, you most likely just need to loosen the 3 screws and rotate your heating element CCW a little to close the choke some more.

It's really not the science project that you're making this into   

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:34pm
Hard to follow when you start more than one thread.
Loosen the screws in the red circles,turn the choke element in the direction of the arrow until the choke butterfly is about 1/8" gap to it's fully closed.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:50pm

Loosen the screws in the red circles,turn the choke element in the direction of the arrow until the choke butterfly is about 1/8" gap to it's fully closed.

Your arrow is going the wrong way Gary
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 12:33am
As with Mojo's ice pictures you of all people know I can't tell my right from my left    
There I think I fixed it. I wonder if Jbear is offering any refresher courses ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 8:31am

Yes Chris, it has been hard with you starting two threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:01pm
Sorry guys! I tried to close the one since it went to the toilet paper conversation, and move on from that! I will try to adjust the choke on Tuesday which is my one day off! I am appreciative of the guidance! I just want everything to work as it did from the factory! This is the best forum I have ever been a part of! Thank you!
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:03pm
Just to clarify..... turn to the right to close the choke when cold correct?
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:09pm
NO

That should help get the point across,

Turn it LEFT, CCW to make it close more   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:16pm
Here in bold is what I wrote yesterday

Have you tried to adjust the cover, this was mentioned in your earlier thread and again in this one. CCW will make the choke close more and take longer to open. That's what you want to do. It's kinda backward from what might seem logical.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:19pm
Follow Kens instructions OR you could just loosen the screws and turn it one way, then the other way and watch what it does. You got a 50/50 chance of being right.
Ken knows what he's talking about!!!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:30pm
Left it is!!!!
Otto
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:37pm
OK, now for the $64000 question (for the ones old enough to remember that show).
Why did they (Holley) do away with the fast idle cam circuit on marine carbs? (Not that they ever had it)
Thought they worked well. Rap it once when you were ready and go back to idle.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:03am
Hmmm.... I remember that with my old muscle cars. Did they do that with marine carbs as well? Don't know why they stopped tho - asside from a personal experience involving a super slick icy road and a large steel light pole. The one on my Mustang was particularly sticky when it was particularly cold ....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:29am
I figure (strictly a guess) that if you have a functional fast idle cam in your boat and it's idling at 1500-2000 rpm, you're a little impatient, in a hurry for whatever reason and you bang it into reverse, next thing you know reverse doesn't work because you snapped the clutch plate.

Or if you bang it into forward at those same speeds that's not exactly good for the transmission either.

With no fast idle cam, you have to lower the speed to go from neutral into either gear.

Like I said, strictly a guess, I just came up with that off the top of my head, but I have to admit, it seems to makes sense
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:32am
Ken, your are $64,000 richer!!!

Edit: Now you can buy 1/2 of a wake barge and pull Pete on a tube
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Ken, your are $64,000 richer!!!

Edit: Now you can buy 1/2 of a wake barge and pull Pete on a tube

Might be closer to 1/3 of a wake barge (and a couple spare shafts and props).

I'll stop and pick you up on the way, we'll need an observer.

Then we can stop and get Gary on the way through Illinois

And Quinner

And Hollywood

I think 63 Skier would probably come along too since we're not too far from each other.

Maybe TRB and Zach and Joe in NY

And whoever else wanted to see this spectacle.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 4:07pm
"Fast Idle Cam Circuit?"

Well...you do have one. Kinda.

Just pull the little disengage button and bump the throttle forward. It will stay in "hi idle" mode as long as you want.   

FWIW I believe KENO is correct. Don't want high idle when engaging the transmission.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:02pm
Speaking of the high idle cam, Chris this is from your other duplicate post:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

and the cam was returned to the cold position

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The fast idle cam mechanism doesn't apply to a marine Holley. Some of the parts are there and some aren't.

Chris,
Is the carb marine? It doesn't make a difference for adjusting the bimetallic choke spring but it may make a difference with your safety.

Is the carb marine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 6:03pm
Yes all original Boat 500 hours!
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 6:10pm
Made the choke adjustment per your guidelines! It was only 1 index mark CCW and it is closed! Thank you! I am mechanically inclined but just don’t have much experience! Saturday evening will be the test!!!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 8:18pm
I checked with this guy and he says you'll be smiling on Saturday night

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 8:55pm
Oh Carnac you were so right! Fires right up, and at temperature choke is wide open! I think we may have gotten it! Thank you everyone!!
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic