Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer modifications

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer modifications
    Posted: July-08-2018 at 9:49pm
Hey,
Every year just before summer vacation, I start thinking about how I can get the Nautique and Jet ski to our cabin in Idaho from California. Some years I've been lucky in that a friend has pulled the jet ski up there for me. But I'm always trying to figure out how to put them both on a single trailer.

I've considered putting the jet ski in the back of the truck, but with a 6.5' bed, it'll extend past the end of the tailgate by 30". I'll have to use a receiver extender, and even then it'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies (for those of you old enough to remember that TV show)

One of my ideas is to build a rack on top of the Nautique trailer and hoist the Jet ski on and off. I've got a hoist at my house to load it and the marina in Idaho will take it off with a fork lift. I then disassemble the rack (tubing) and launch the boat.

Unfortunately my Nautique (DHM) trailer is single axle and can't carry the load. The 176 and trailer is about 3000 lbs. The Jet ski and frame work would add another 1000-1200.

Do I change out the axle to a 5200 lb single axle, or modify the trailer to add a 2nd 3500 lb axle?

My gut tells me that the 5200 lb axle would be the cheaper way to go,. I enjoy the mobility of a single axle, given that I have to navigate around a lot of trees where I store it for the winter and being able to move it in my driveway. . I've never towed a tandem long distance and don't know of the advantages.

Thanks,
Don
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 10:04pm
Don,
Sounds like you have the equipment at both ends for loading and unloading. Considering that, have you considered putting the PWC crosswise in the pickup bed by making a simple bunked rack. It wouldn't stick out the back 30", you wouldn't need the extender and an axle upgrade wouldn't be needed. As long as the PWC isn't over 8' in length, you would be legal in most states for width. I think some have even gone to 8" 6".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 10:07pm
Thanks Pete, I should have mentioned that the jet ski is 10.5' long
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 10:25pm
You might be able to pull "doubles". Check length laws for the states you will be traveling through. CA will be your biggest obstacle You could fabricate a receiver hitch on the back of the DHM trailer. You won't be able to back up a "set of joints" but you can always disconnect the rear trailer before backing.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2018 at 11:02pm
If you went with a sled deck you could make a cradle for the ski to rest in and the height would probably clear the front of the trailer.

or go cab over like this

AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 1:40am
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry, but no double trailers in these parts. I've seen semi's pulling triple 20' trailers in Nevada and Oregon, but nothing recreational.

A cradle like the pic posted would certainly do the trick. Money is a problem now:-)

I found a hitch extension I had, and it looks like it might work. The weight center of the jet ski is still within the wheels wells as per GM spec. I'm going to mock it up this week and see how it looks. I'll report back with some pics
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 3:58am
depends on the payload of the truck.....I have seen a few trailers in FL that have a hyd lift for the skis that hold them above the boat pretty cool concept. there was one for sale on craigslist years back.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 4:06am
They do seem to appear on Craigslist every once in a while. Definitely impressive to check out.
I've figured that I'm going to put the Jet Ski in the back of the truck . It should stick out past the end of the tailgate by about 18-20", which isn't too outrageous.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 4:54am
Using the hitch extension will change the weight and leverage on your hitch but your trailer is light so maybe that will not even be an issue.
I have seen trailers on the highway set up exactly as you seem to wish. Tandem trailer with a platform above the boat carrying jet skiis or wave runner. Cool set up when done correctly.   One I saw was set up to pivot back, load your wave runner and it pivots up above the boat. Very nice set up. I did not look close to see if it was hydraulics or winches that gave it the lift.
Good Luck with your project, what part of Idaho are you headed to?
Mark
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 7:16am
Thanks Mark.

The name of the lake is Payette Lake, and the town is McCall. It's about 100 miles due north of Boise, and an altitude of 5000'. It's always been a retreat for the people who live in the Boise valley as it's about 20* cooler. My Grandfather built a 1 room cabin there in '55.

Where do you ski? Folsom Lake? Sacramento river?

Don
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 9:39am
I would look at the cost of fabricating the special cradle & consider that it may be cost effective to just buy a 2nd waverunner & leave it at the lake.

Used one's can be had for a couple thou.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
CradNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CradNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 3:41pm
Just a thought and not trying to be "smart" but can you wife drive and pull the Jet skies? Putting a hitch and teaching her could solve a lot of issues.

Thanks
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2018 at 4:40pm
You're assuming I want to go on vacation with my wife :-)

Actually I'm not married. My daughter was going to pull the jet ski, but she's not staying as long. That means not having as many toys!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 1:43am
Originally posted by AlfaDon AlfaDon wrote:

Thanks Mark.

The name of the lake is Payette Lake, and the town is McCall. It's about 100 miles due north of Boise, and an altitude of 5000'. It's always been a retreat for the people who live in the Boise valley as it's about 20* cooler. My Grandfather built a 1 room cabin there in '55.

Where do you ski? Folsom Lake? Sacramento river?

Don

Love Payette Lake. Good friend of mine is from McCall. You should have plenty of fun,,.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2018 at 9:42pm
make two trips...LOL...that's what I have to do, but our cabin is only 4.5 hours away. So we always pull the Nautique up first, and then 8-10 days I come back home, check on things at home, pay bills, etc, then pull our double jet ski trailer back up. Then they are both up there.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 3:10pm
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 5:02pm
Yea, I saw that and communicated with the guy. He would need a replacement trailer for his boat, plus cash to equal $5500 for the value of the trailer. Not a bad deal if I could afford it, and could find a trailer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 9:59pm
I'm at a loss on how you launch the jet skiis from 10 foot above the water.

Winch only pulls.

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:28pm
Back her in deep.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Winch only pulls.

Most winches reverse also so you could lower it down the ramp once you pushed it on to the ramp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Winch only pulls.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Back her in deep.......

Or,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:47pm
I've always been leery of bunk slides and the like. It seems like if it goes on easy, it's bound to come off easy :-)
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 11:42pm
There was previously a trailer on my lake that the whole upper level pivoted down to water level . Pretty cool .
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

the whole upper level pivoted down to water level . Pretty cool .

Definitely the way to go. Replace the two winches with a hydraulic pump, a couple cylinders and pivot the upper deck. Then easy on and easy off with no screwing around with ramps and no climbing up and down !

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 10:47am
Why not just have a 35 foot long trailer, with skiis in back. Caster dolly wheels for the back section, detach for launching big boat.

Or just rent a jet ski for a couple hours & get it out of your system . . .

Ben Franklin
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 4:11pm
Just to let everybody know what I finally did to solve the problem....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 5:13pm
Nice rig!

Do you have a crane to unload with?

Ben Franklin
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2018 at 5:51pm
I built an A frame the first time I loaded it, then I got the help of a few different forklifts the other times. Other than looking a little "Beverly Hillbillies", it worked out really well. It rode really nice in the back of the truck. I got 15mpg behind the diesel 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic