Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique 351 Carburetor Idle Surge and Stall

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nightyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique 351 Carburetor Idle Surge and Stall
    Posted: July-13-2018 at 7:05pm
I have a 98 Air Nautique with the carbureted 351 engine (basically the GT-40 without EFI) that has been running really rough. It had been idling rough for a while, but it started to surge down to almost stalling unless I gave it quite a bit of throttle. It continues to surge down even when running well over 1000 RPMs, but seems to accelerate well and runs great at WOT. Quite a bit of black smoke coming out of the exhaust which would indicate it's running rich or not burning gas. Also, spraying starter fluid into the carb bogs it down more and it stalls so this would seem to confirm it's running rich. It starts great and the choke is open when warm.

Put on new spark plugs, replaced the fuel filter and put in all new gas. I rebuilt the carburetor at the beginning of this summer. It was my first time, but I was very meticulous with a manual and thought I did everything correctly. I put the carb back on the boat and I'm still getting the same problems. I have tried to adjust the idle/air screws per the manual, but they don't seem to have much of an effect on the surging issue and I can't get her to keep idle long enough for them to be effective anyways.

I've checked the plug wires and cleaned the distributor cap, but I haven't done too much more than that. It's got a prestolite breakerless distributor. I haven't been able to check the initial timing because it won't keep idle.

I have some limited mechanical knowledge and have tried to do as much research as possible, but I'm not exactly sure where to look next. I'm sure it's possible that I beefed the carb rebuild so I could try to plug a new carb on it. I'm also planning on checking the fuel pump and fuel pressure. Could it be a distributor/timing problem?

Any other ideas for things I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I've read through these forums many times since my mobile mechanic died and it's kept her running for some really good years. Really appreciate the knowledge-base here.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2018 at 10:40pm
I think I'd start by having the flame arrestor off and looking down the carburetor barrels while you have it struggling to run and see if you can see anything like fuel spilling into the air stream. You should really see nothing other than say a very fine mist at the most.

Droplets are bad and indicate too much fuel usually from inlet seat leakage due to bad adjustment or crud between the needle and seat.

Make sure you look down the primaries and the secondaries.

I always figure, if you think it's a fuel problem and it has you stumped, there's a good chance it's ignition related. Surprising how many times that turns out to be the case
nightyak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 2:14pm
Thanks, KENO. I looked down both the primary and secondary barrels and I didn't see any droplets. Had to give it some throttle up to about 1000 RPM to keep it running so I could look. I'm starting to think that it may be an ignition problem as well. The RPM fluctuations seem to be too consistent for a fuel problem. It basically bounces every half second or so and speeds up as I increase the throttle until it becomes unnoticeable at higher RPMs.

I put in new plugs and I checked all of the plug wires with an in-line test light and they appeared to be blinking rapidly, but didn't look like it was 100% consistent. I ran out of time, but I'm thinking I need to do a more thorough test on the ignition coil and the prestolite breakerless next. Not really sure how to go about diagnosing problems with the prestolite, though. I suppose I could just replace it,
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 5:02pm
Listen to KENO. If your needle/seat is not properly sealing, or if your floats are not properly adjusted, you can be pumping un-atomized fuel down the carb's throat. That will make a rich air/fuel mixture condition. Too rich of a mixture (such as flooding from float bowl or needle/seat) can produce the black smoke. You would likely need higher RPMs to keep the engine running under that condition. WOT and mid to high range acceleration typically would not be affected by the needle/seat or float issue.

Since you just rebuilt the carb, did you replace the needles/seats? Did you do a float test?

There are some good instructional videos on youtube. Search for "Holley carburetor" and "Summit Racing". You can find how to diagnose and correct these issues.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 7:04pm
Be on the lookout for a vacuum leak as well. Especially around the base of the carburetor since it was just off. Cook be a gasket issue etc.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 9:26pm
Clogged idle circuit air bleeds could also be causing the issue. You need to figure out if it’s too rich or too lean. Are you familiar with where the accelerator pump is ? If so while it is surging give the accelerator arm a small push. If it stalls it’s to rich. If it smooths out that means it’s lean and lacking fuel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic