NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition timing - odd behavior

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 11:45pm
Never mind.... I'm twisted up on valve being open/close. I need to look at it fresh tomorrow and check the rotor position as well....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by garykocis garykocis wrote:

Never mind.... I'm twisted up on valve being open/close. I need to look at it fresh tomorrow and check the rotor position as well....

Sounds like a plan
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 12:44pm
I'm loosing my mind. After compression cycle starts (per thumb test), I rotate CCW until 0-degree mark. At this point, my rotor is points AWAY from #1 plug contact on distr cap. So, seems like I am 180 degrees off???    #1 piston is at top of it's cycle.

Is there a full-proof way to know what is happening with valves (open/close)?   At this position (TDC), I see that #3 intake valve is stiff and #4 exhaust valve is stiff (stiff as in locked in a position). Both of the #1 valves are not stiff (I can wiggle the rocker arm). I believe that both of #1 valves should be closed at TDC - right?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 12:57pm
I think your over thinking this....
What you could do pull all your wires off the cap. then where your rotor is pointing to is where the number one sparkplug wires goes to. Then follow your firing order and connect up the rest of the wires. Or the possibly more difficult way would be to pull the distributor out turn the rotor shaft to where you want it and drop it back in. Then again where the rotor points to is where number one cylinder plugwire connects Problem here for the inexperienced is sometimes the oil pump drive shaft,which seats into the bottom of the distributor shaft,does not line up easily and fights you as you try to seat the distributor into place.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 1:50pm
Have we yet determined that Gary has not misconstrued the #1 cyllinder on a Ford, like some others have?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 2:41pm
No your right just assumed 😳 and you know how that goes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 2:59pm

Not too basic, and I appreciate all comments/ideas that I get. Yes, I am considering front starboard plug as #1. .

A quote from Gary K earlier in the thread
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 5:25pm

Both of the #1 valves are not stiff (I can wiggle the rocker arm). I believe that both of #1 valves should be closed at TDC - right?

No cam/lifter pressure on pushrod means valves are closed.

Sounds like you just need to reset you plug wires & you should be good to go.

I think it is a miracle it ran at all, with plug wires 180 off!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I think it is a miracle it ran at all, with plug wires 180 off!

It would take more than a miracle to make it run timed 180 out   

There have to be some missing items in his timeline, such as when he took the distributor partially apart, did he take off the advance plate?

If he did it's easy to put it back on 180 out and then your timing is ..................180 out.

I'm not sure he's tried to start it since then

Then again there is the TRBenj half miracle that we won't mention here, yet anyways
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 10:23pm
ok, so I was also having difficulty believing I was 180 out. I repeated the exercise with an assistant (yes, my wife) and I pulled all the plugs to make life easier. I think I was confusing a suction with a positive air pressure. So, with a helper we definitively found the compression cycle. once I had that, continued to 0-degree mark and I'm confident this is the correct TDC position. Checked rotor... it is pointing to distr cap contact for #1 plug.

So, after a bunch of diagnostic work - I am back to exactly where I was at the start. I haven't changed the distributor position at all. I'm convinced that I had correct initial timing position from the beginning. Don't have time to try it tonight, but I have no reason to believe anything is different from what I had initial posting a few days back. ???
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 10:59am
Resistor picture as is:
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 8:36pm
I wanted to check the firing rotation which plugs were out. So, starting from TDC (where piston #1 is at TDC), I rotated the crank shaft 1/4 turn (8 times) and checked to see which piston was at TDC. I got the following:
0/4: 1 and 6
1/4 : 2 and 8
2/4: 4 and 7
3/4: 3 and 5

So, I conclude that this is aligned with the engine firing order, by working top to bottom and alternating left and right:
1 - 8 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 2 - 7 - 3

Eliminates the possibility of having the wrong cam shaft (I think)....
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 8:45pm
Going back to original post, did you have a shop assemble the engine?

If so why not have them figure this out?

Wouldn't it be worth a hundie?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 10:34pm
That is a wise and logical idea. The one guy I could find to rebuild the engine would only work with the long block. I tore it down to that point, and got it to his shop. He said he only does the machinist work. And, I regret having this guy work on it at all (difficult to work with, communication, etc.). I have attempted to get some info from him, but unsuccessful. I'm open to have a trainer pro help, but it won't be that person.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 7:50am
The engine will run at the correct timing, but it won’t start there. It will start with more advance and idles fast. Maybe you said and I missed it, but what’s the condition of your carburetor? When was it last rebuilt? We have been pretty far down the timing route, maybe it is like Ken frequently says “when you think it is ignition, look at the fuel.”
'92 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

The engine will run at the correct timing, but it won’t start there. It will start with more advance and idles fast. Maybe you said and I missed it, but what’s the condition of your carburetor? When was it last rebuilt? We have been pretty far down the timing route, maybe it is like Ken frequently says “when you think it is ignition, look at the fuel.”

Funny that you mention that.   

I had a conversation with Gary and that's something that came up, it was rebuilt a couple years ago, but that doesn't mean much, a lot can happen in a couple years of sitting or use..

He gonna look at the rest of the ignition system first like the coil and also bypass his ballast resistor since it's got electronic. ignition

It does seem that he's done a very good job of verifying things as far as the timing.

One of those little voices keeps saying   vacuum leak vacuum leak (like a carburetor base gasket) and the higher rpm,s from the advanced timing let it start and run

He'll know his engine pretty well when this is over
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 9:13am
If you get to checking for a vacuum leak Gary, here's a thread with a picture of a likely spot

.link
garykocis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garykocis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 10:20pm
Well, too early to crack open the champagne... but - pulled my carb to take a look and found some fuel in places it should be! so, if gas is leaking out I'm sure there was air getting in. going to try a gasket tomorrow, depends on what I can get locally (or I'll order from natique parts and be patient for a few days...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 8:21am
Just to update this thread, Gary found a vacuum leak at one of the base gaskets

link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic