Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CC models

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Matty70Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty70Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CC models
    Posted: July-17-2018 at 5:08pm
I'm new to CC boats having recently picked up a 1970 Barracuda. I notice there are many models that appear similar size, power an design. Is there much difference between a Barracuda, mustang and a SN.? I assume it's mostly hull design and if so what was the main design purpose of the Barracuda.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 4:37pm
Welcome, John.

The best place to get acquainted with the various models is in the reference section. Lots of good reading and pictures.

To try to answer your question somewhat succinctly, the differences in models, like you said, is primarily hull style. Mustang, and all its relatives, early American Skier, Skier, Ski Tique, are all 16 footers. Fun, powerful little boats. In their day, adequate ski machines, but small and not great pulls by todays standards, or even 1980s or 1990s standards. Mustangs evovled a bit and out of the bunch were a little plusher than the others. I think some even came without ski pylons, suggesting they were more runabouts than ski boats.

Nautique, obviously the ski machine flagship. 18-ish feet back in that era and tuned to the best of the day for skiing.

Your Barracuda, 17 feet, kind of a double duty boat, I think, I believe, despite the same flat bottom, it had a bit more freeboard (I could be wrong about that) and possibly a deeper V stem, making it a little bit smoother, drier ride. Like the mustang, as mentioned above, I think it was designed as more a dual purpose ski boat/runabout (although the "legendary" Al Tyll Skier was based on a Barracuda hull.)

So, thats what I know in a nut shell. As I said, look at the brochures, there are a ton of other models in the 60s and 70s all tweaked to cater to one preference or another.
Matty70Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty70Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 7:34pm
Thanks so much! I'm learning a lot about these boats poking around the site and quickly becoming a big fan. I put my in the water this weekend and can't wait to take her out on her maiden voyage
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic