Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 w harmonic damper wobble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 w harmonic damper wobble
    Posted: July-18-2018 at 7:31pm
HI All,
I installed a new summit racing for 1984 351 winsor oem 28 oz. harmonic balancer- I line it up with the #1 cylinder contact on the distributor and remove the powerbond #1203 harmonic balancer with only 110 hours on it and line the new one up with the crank shaft key on the snout in the same position as the old one noting it was set at 10 degrees on the pointer and degree scale on the old the harmonic balancer. Once I installed the new balancer I started the engine up it ran fine at 675 rpm but when I put the timing light on the pointer which is set at about 2:00 no light and no balancer degree scale showing. I shot the timing light between the space gap of the water pump and the alternator . I then went to a 3:00 position with the timing light which is under the alternator on the right side of the engine and found the timing scale and the timing light blinking on 10 degrees. Why is the scale and the ponter 2+ inches from where it was with the old balancer?. The new balancer is 6.4 inches diameter and the old one is 6.53 inches in diameter. Is the engine in timing based on the new location of where I have to shoot the timing light at 3:00 verses old position of 2:00? I reused my 1973 timing chain cover with the same pointer and it matched up with the powerbond #1203 but not the Summit balancer
thanks,
tmcboat
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 8:55pm
What was wrong with the original balancer?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

What was wrong with the original balancer?

Check his old posts for that answer
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by tmcboat tmcboat wrote:

HI All,
I installed a new summit racing for 1984 351 winsor oem 28 oz. harmonic balancer- I line it up with the #1 cylinder contact on the distributor and remove the powerbond #1203 harmonic balancer with only 110 hours on it and line the new one up with the crank shaft key on the snout in the same position as the old one noting it was set at 10 degrees on the pointer and degree scale on the old the harmonic balancer. Once I installed the new balancer I started the engine up it ran fine at 675 rpm but when I put the timing light on the pointer which is set at about 2:00 no light and no balancer degree scale showing. I shot the timing light between the space gap of the water pump and the alternator . I then went to a 3:00 position with the timing light which is under the alternator on the right side of the engine and found the timing scale and the timing light blinking on 10 degrees. Why is the scale and the ponter 2+ inches from where it was with the old balancer?. The new balancer is 6.4 inches diameter and the old one is 6.53 inches in diameter. Is the engine in timing based on the new location of where I have to shoot the timing light at 3:00 verses old position of 2:00? I reused my 1973 timing chain cover with the same pointer and it matched up with the powerbond #1203 but not the Summit balancer
thanks,
tmcboat

Ford made balancers with the timing marks in different places depending on the automotive application. Based on your old posts I think you have a normal automotive rotation engine and it's hooked to a Volvo outdrive. The Pertronix distributor you have only comes with a normal rotation gear is one other thing that says normal auto rotation

Depending on water pump inlet location, the pointer was in different spots so because of that the scale on the balancer had to be in different spots.

You most likely have one for one of the other pointer locations.

Your balancer will work just fine, but you'll have to get the engine at TDC and make a TDC or zero line on the balancer and then mark the graduations from there or use one of the timing tapes from summit for that damper. diameter

You could also pull it back off and line up the keyway on both dampers, compare markings and mark the new one that way.

Or..................you could return it for one with the right markings already there.

Or................if you have one of the newer advance timing lights all you need is the zero or TDC mark and you'll be able to time it that way.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Or..................you could return it for one with the right markings already there.

Or................if you have one of the newer advance timing lights all you need is the zero or TDC mark and you'll be able to time it that way.

Or...……………. you could have had the old one rebuilt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 10:10pm
wow,
you really know some things- I took a dial indicator and measure the front outside edge of the old powerband #1203 and turned the balancer 10 times to make sure I was getting a real reading and the dial indicator was showing the run out of 6 to 8 thousandths- I took the old balancer and put it on a glass stove top and still the run out was about the same so I order summit # sum -163289 which had 3 different sets of timing marks. I lined up new balancer key way with the key way of the old balancer and it was lined up on 10 degrees with the distributor contact for the #1 cylinder. Summit said in their instructions that if I did this that I would not have to go back to tdc since I was already on the #1 cylinder with the distributor and the timing had not changed ? I took the #1 plug out and a rod and saw the rod go up to the maximum and it was at 10 degrees and the distributor was at the #1 contact? Is this right? do I need the pointer if I shoot the light at 3:00 and get 10 degrees blinking? I think the pointer location on my 1973 timing cover is off based on the summit one size fits all balancer. I am a little lost on this one so a little more info please . Thanks, tmcboat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:44pm
After reading the instructions for the part number you gave, it sure seems like you should have 3 timing scales on the balancer and one of them should line up correctly with your pointer

What you did seems to agree with the instructions and what I mentioned earlier too

It also sounds like your initial timing was 10 degrees BTDC with the old balancer and hasn't changed with the new one. Is this a true statement?

If so, it seems like there's no issue other than the aiming of the light.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Or...……………. you could have had the old one rebuilt.

Now who really wants to rebuild an old cheap aftermarket balancer Pete for more than a new aftermarket one cost him.?

Certainly not the "keep it original" guy
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 12:22am
Hey guys,
Thanks for your quick response- I really appreciate you taking an interest in this for me. I am no mechanic- i wish i was. I think you are right- just use the timing light at 3:00. The engine runs good- starts right up- no hesitations or skipping. I have not put the boat in the water but I have another problem. I did a dial indicator test on the new harmonic balancer on the front face edge and it did not move .oo1 however when I installed the my original 2 v belt pulley/3 bolt-0em ford c 90 e-6312-e it wobbles alot-guessing 1/16" +. I took it off and put in on the glass stove top and could only run copy papper under it in a couple of spots- .001 thickness= 3 sheets of copy paper or the thickness of one 3x5 index car+- I did this on back and front sides of my oem pulley which is 6 -5/64 iinch diameter and depth of 2.83 inches. I am not sure if this is the same PMC pulley- R065002? Skimdim list it and marine exhaust manifolds.com does- they have no measurements to go by. I did not test the run out on side of the new harmonic balancer to see if the snout is bent or worse something in the rebuilt engine that is out of warranty but I will do this tomorrow and let you know the results. The wobble I thought was the harmonic balancer-only part of the problem- could be the pulley? or the snout or worse the engine? I never have done a run out on the side of a harmonic balancer- tried utube but to luck- any suggestions please. thank tmcboat
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 12:54am
Damper Dudes or Damper Doctor in Anderson CA does a really nice job rebuilding Dampers.   They exist because aftermarket dampers are very expensive and all the Old Car restorers want the original came with part rebuilt.
The 351W is not anything special so a rebuilt damper should be available most anywhere.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 9:51am
It sounds like you want a new pulley.

Here's a link to an old thread with some info and in that thread there's a link to CJ Pony parts who have an aluminum 3 bolt pulley that's the right size for a lot less than a stamped steel Ford or PCM part.

link

or if you don't feel like reading through the thread here's a link to the pulley on CJ's Pony Parts

link to pulley
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 2:08pm
Hey guys,
I just did a run out test on the new harmonic balancer with the dial indicator- I made a 12 complete rotations- marked 6 spots and took measurements on each spot for the 12 rotations-- I had some trouble with the dial indicator slipping- retighten- retighten- magnet would not hold a couple of times and had to start all over - I had to put the pointer at an angle in the middle of the balancer due to timing marks on both sides ect. Is this ok to have the indicator point at an slight angle? there was a consistent .oo5 max out of range from zero to 5 thousandths between spot #1 and spot #3 I marked 6 spots on the balancer and the indicator at zero is at #1 spot, #2 spot .002, #3 spot .005 , #4 spot .001 . then back to zero t #1 spot. Would this make the pulley wobble? With that much difference in the balancer between spot #1 and spot #3= .005 variation leads me to believe I have either a bent snout or something wrong in the engine? If I have a bent snout would a bent snout cause damage to the crank shaft front bearings ect? I have only 110 hours on the engine. I will pull the balancer and dial test the snout shaft if I can get to it with the dial indicator and take the readings. If it is the snout that's bent can I fix it without pulling the lower unit and the engine?-ooch The engine is set down in a engine box- typical inboard/outboard and not much room in the front to work with- I have to lay on my stomach to get to the snout . Your thoughts and suggestions please. thanks tmcboat
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 5:13pm
Hi guys,
I just removed the harmonic balancer in 95 degrees and the readings on the snout after 6 rotations with the dial indicator - again the dial pointer was at a slight angle on the snout due to difficult access --was consistent reading of zero to .005 -- run out -- same as the readings on the balancer. what do I do next? any way to repair the 1 inch diameter snout- find the bend and fill with jb weld and sand down to a .002 variation ect? Also I have heard that if your with in .002 that your ok? I I think on prop shafts that if your .002 of run out you are ok. Would the harmonic balancer run out at .005 increase the pulley run out to 1/16 inch+ .I should have check the run out on the pulley first to compare with the harmonic balancer run out reading to see if the pulley is defective **your thoughts and suggestions please on the snout readings and remedy thanks,tmcboat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 8:07pm
Hard to believe a crank got bent at the end, but if that is true, I would just run it as is.

If crank is already bad so you won't make it any worse with belt vibration.

Ben Franklin
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 9:37pm
Hey guys,
thanks for your input- not sure what I am going to do but still open for suggestions and your thoughts so please let me know some options- The engine runs good now- no engine vibrations- except for the pulley wobble of about 1/16 inch- which could be the result of the runout .005 of the balancer. I am going to take the 1973 steel oem 2 belt pulley and put in again on a glass top stove and run copy paper around the perimeter edges both top and bottom sections to see if its bent--- 3 sheets of paper= .001 or .002 inches- if it passes the test? or suggestions of another way of testing-- I will use it. your thoughts and suggestions please. We put about 60 hours a year on the engine-- max rpm cruise - 3400 rpm= 25 mph for 27 ft express -2000 lbs live load- 55 gals fuel, 6 ,passangers, 8 scuba tanks, dive and fishing gear, ect. I want to go fishing and diving in the gulf- 5 days @ panama city, Fla. in August. I will only put about 25 hours on the engine. I can work on the hard core problems in October after the season if you think its ok to run the boat 25 hours in August? I know its just a guess of probability but your thoughts please--- thanks tmcboat
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 10:36pm
Hi All,
I just tested on a glass top stove the 1973 steel oem pulley- the bottom side that mounts to the balancer- only 1/3 diameter of the base about 4 inches ---i could slide a sheet of copy paper under it less than .001 thickness- pretty close to level I think.. I turned the pulley over to the front face= 6- 5/64 inch diamaeter and about 1/3 of the diameter I could slide 3 sheets of copy paper under it = .0055 so unless I am not testing the pulley right -it   seems level and reasonably true- but the wobble in the pulley still looks like about 1/16 + inch when I have the harmonic balancer with run out of .005. I have the pulley and the harmonic balancer leveled with washer spacers and aligns with the raw water pump, alternator, and engine water pump but still a lot of wobble in the pulley?due to the .005 run out in the crankshaft snout = result in the - same .005 run out in the new harmonic balancer- your thoughts and suggestions please. tmcboat
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 10:40pm
Paper is usually .003 thick

If it bothers you enough then chuck it up in a lathe and cut the mounting face
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Paper is usually .003 thick

If it bothers you enough then chuck it up in a lathe and cut the mounting face

Or just get the rubber mallet out and whack it on the high spot while it's chucked up. If it's the stamped steel version, it will move.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 11:17pm
what I get out of all this is your snout is bent so it's .005 out at the end and the harmonic balancer has a pretty good wobble due to that

I figure, who cares about the stamped pulley being a little off, you have a lot bigger problem than that with the balancer wobbling.

Inside the timing cover the crankshaft gear is also not running true since it's mounted on the bent snout.

If you were running with your prop shaft .005 out at the end some people here would have a fit but don't seem to care about the .005 at the snout.

Your big question is whether you can run it for the next 25 or so hours out in the ocean with a pretty good load on it.

You'll get the YES answers and the NO answers and ultimately have to make that decision yourself..

Me, being on a river, I'd head upstream and I'm never far from shore so I'd run it for those 25 hours but that's a bit different from your situation

Just remember "Murphy's Law" or any of the variations of it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 11:32pm
Ken, you're right, balancer is likely to leak oil badly due to seal surface wobble.

Ben Franklin
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:34am
Hi All,
some good advise-- 110 hours and no oil leak at the seal yet but who knows on the next 25 hours also not sure what load the front crank shaft bearing is having to deal with- ,the harmonic balancer is suppose to take up some of the vibration with the snout run out but who knows.-- Just a thought-- acetone the outside of the snout to remove oil ect. use jb weld on the side that is out of round about- 1/3 of the 1 -1/4 diameter shaft- use the old harmonic balancer - only 110 hours old- and sleeve it up on the snout with the epoxy jb weld on the snout so its at 1.37 id. would use a light weight oil or silicone on the inside of the old harmonic balancer so it would not stick to the epoxy- once the epoxy has hardened some then slide the old harmonic balancer off- let epoxy set then use 1000 grit wet sand to a smooth finish on snout use a micrometer to check the roundness and or the dial indicator- to .002 or less.I know its a little different approach but if works it will stop alot of vibration for the short term. your thoughts and suggestions
thanks, tmcboat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 9:23am
I think you'll have a total mess on your hands if you do something like this.

This would easily fall under Pete's definition of a hack job.

Also the words "slide the balancer off" jump out and get my attention.

Hopefully your balancer needs a puller to get it off right now or through any of the checks you've been doing already or the fit is too loose ..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 9:50am

I think you'll have a total mess on your hands if you do something like this.

This would easily fall under Pete's definition of a hack job.

You need to add words to the "hack job" and that's "back yard"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 10:30am
How about a picture of your snout measuring?

I still can't fathom how a crank gets bent at the end without sustaining major engine damage.

Maybe it was been bad when it was installed?

Ben Franklin
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:50pm
Hey guys,
You got a point.
when we installed the rebuilt 351 winsor we used the 1973 oem harmonic balancer- it looked ok-low hours-- but not when we started the engine up- it started wobbling bad so we remove it and installed a probond #1203 from jeggs- My son thinks we used a hammer and wood block to get the old oem harmonic balancer started on the shaft-then used the normal balancer installer to seat the balancer properly. We noticed that the pulley had a small wobble but did not think anything about it. I called the engine rebuilder back in April 2018- (engine out of warranty- expired march of 2016- only 95 hours on the engine) about the wobble and replacing the power bond #1203 harmonic balancer with a newer one and he said save the $100 and put it in the gas tank.*** My concern is when I use the socket wrench and nut to turn the engine snout over while checking the dial indicator that there is some difference in the amount of effort to turn the engine over at different degrees of rotation. Is this normal? I can try and fill in the bent area on the snout shaft with white marine tex epoxy so I can tell where I a m applying the epoxy-- .002 to .005 thickness on about 1/2 if the snout shaft and use 1000 grit wet sand paper to smooth it to fit - not sure if the epoxy will hold up being its that thin a layer to fill in? Your thought and suggestions please thanks, tmcboat
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 12:55am
I did use a puller and installer on the balancer installation-I talked to marine tex on the grey epoxy and the tech support said it would work as a filler on the bent shaft.- the epoxy has 4,000 adhesion and 12,000 tensil strength. A friend of mine who for years rebuilt engines for a big company said that since the engine has 110 running hours and runs smooth that he didn't thing 25 more hours would cause a problem.. He said I don't have many options- pull the engine and have a new rebuilt warranty engine installed
this fall or when this engine fells and or try the epoxy filler to reduce the wobble and extend the engine life maybe. I know its out there but I don't have many options-- your thoughts and suggestions please- thanks, tmcboat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 1:25am
I'm not following this at all. How can some marine tex stop the crank snout from wobbling? Some pictures here would really help. Are you saying that there is a dent in the crank snout? If there is I wonder if at some point the crank was dropped which would certainly cause it to wobble
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 8:44am
You seem to be hell bent on doing something with the epoxy to make a bent snout have no wobble on the end.

It doesn't pass any sanity check I can think off.

I can't see anything good happening with this epoxy job..

It's been said more than once either here or by your friend, run it for those 25 hours, you've run it for over 100 this way.already with no issues

Nobody can understand your epoxy idea or agree with it

Not too many people jumping in with opinions because it's a choice you have to make knowing how and where you're using the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 9:30am
Well, at least you went from JB Weld to Marine Tex!! Maybe you should consider some decent SS filled Devcon!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2018 at 12:48am
Hey guys,
You all are right--- the epoxy idea was a desperate attempt to remedy a problem that really can't be fixed that way. I inspected the front edge of the snout and it has 2 divits in it. I can't believe I never notice until one of your brought up the fact it could have been dropped or the crankshaft had not been inspected and built to oem spec.so Carolina Machine is the one who sold me the rebuilt engine and I think I got stuck bad-- thousands of $$$ and after about 50 hours of research and dial indicator testing and disassembling and reinstalling ,-belts, pulley, installing new harmonic balancer that there has been no noticeable change in the wobble of the pulley/balancer so I am going to run this engine until something major happens. When it breaks then I will get a new rebuilt engine and check everything out before I accept the engine. Yes I am upset about this whole engine thing- a lot of time and money and worry because a engine rebuilder stuck me- For anyone having a engine rebuilt - be sure and check everything you can- Don't assume the engine rebuilder is building the engine to specifications. Thanks for all your time and input. tmcboat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic