Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo Replacement
    Posted: July-18-2018 at 9:02pm
Hello all, my radio in my 99 Ski Nautique just gave up the ghost. I would like an above average stereo with Bluetooth, that is also weather resistant. I don’t want to run a sub woofer or anything Fancy, just a good Sounding radio with Bluetooth and CD that doesn’t require an amplifier!

Thanks in advance!!!

Otto
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 1:56am
Lots of options out there Chris - depends on your discerning ear and of course budget.
Here is a good source to at least research your options and perhaps narrow the list:
Marine Audio

Generally, you get what you pay for. At least when you go cheap. While a lot of the "budget" brands may technically stay alive for a while, their sound quality is usually less than desirable. Some of the marine units that I've owned and/ or installed for others that have been good all around units - i.e. not too expensive yet still sound very good with many nice features: Clarion, Infinity, MB Quart, Rockford and Sony.   Some of the higher/ more expensive brands perhaps have a little better sound and more features, but of course you're going to pay for it, and in a lot of cases nearly double.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 11:24am
I just bought this and put it in our 95 ski this week. Very impressed by the sound/quality for a $215 dollar bundle. Comes with everything you need. Really easy to wire in, just cut/splice/match the colors and you're good.

Kenwood stereo kit

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 12:47pm
wow that seems like a good price! You are happy with the sound? Can you hear it when driving? What is the wattage?

Can anyone else suggest units they have and give the thumbs up or down on them?

Thanks!!!

OTTO
Otto
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 12:49pm
If the bass isn't cranked you can get it pretty loud while driving and hear it pretty well. You're gonna have to spend a lot more money to get one loud enough to REALLY hear it driving, IMO. This one fit our bill well, sounds damn good for that cheap. You can play with the speaker balance (front to back left to right) to hear it better while driving too...I didn't mess with that yet.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 1:20pm
Unless you still use CDs I'd recommend looking for a head unit without a CD player. They are generally cheaper and more importantly smaller and lighter, so less strain on the dash as you bonce around in the boat. A few options are

Kenwood KMR-M322BT
JVC KD-X35MBS
Clarion M205
Clarion M508

I like the Clarion 508 but would probably choose the Kenwood because it has better Android phone integration. If I used an iPhone, I'd probably get the Clarion.

As far as loudness goes, all the head units have around 20W x 4. that's enough to drive the speakers to a decent volume for when you are sitting in the boat or at idle.

If you want to listen to music while cruising, You'll need an amp.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 2:15pm
I just did a cheap stereo build for under $500. No tower speakers, just a new Bluetooth head unit, 4 6.5s, basic 5 channel 700w amp, and a 10" sub. All marine grade. It sounds good. Loud enough to hear while driving and very clear.

Clarion Amp XC2510

Clarion Head Unit GR10bt
*This was specific for my 02 model. I recommend any of the others above. I've owned the Kenwood KMR and it's a nice head unit for the price. Great options and connected well to my iphone. Oh...and it can change in cool 90s colors!

Clarion 10" Sub - CMQ2512W

Sub Box

4 Polk 6.5" DB651s Slim Refurbished - $20 each on e-bay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic