NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back with a new project....

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back with a new project....
    Posted: August-02-2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

Nothing wrong with that oil pressure you’re getting atleast 10 psi per thousand rpms at operating temps

Correct, Just a little low by comparison to other 502s. (i've read about anyway... nothing first hand)

Edit: Which of course might mean I'm overthinking it... Which I often do.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2019 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You know oil pressure isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You know 7-10 years ago I had seen a blurb about F1 engines running around 10-15 psi. Oil pumping robs hp. I know someone with a new car, it’s gauge shows 23 psi until it gets over 3k rpms. It uses 0w-20 oil. Maybe the engine builder went with newer machining spec’s on yours, maybe it won’t burn a quart of oil a week like the 502 that was in my work truck!

So far oil consumption (only 7 hours) has been zero.

I'm optimistic it just made me a little nervous since I've ready about higher numbers from most other 502 folks.

Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 11:05pm
Nothing wrong with that oil pressure you’re getting atleast 10 psi per thousand rpms at operating temps
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 9:13pm
You know oil pressure isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You know 7-10 years ago I had seen a blurb about F1 engines running around 10-15 psi. Oil pumping robs hp. I know someone with a new car, it’s gauge shows 23 psi until it gets over 3k rpms. It uses 0w-20 oil. Maybe the engine builder went with newer machining spec’s on yours, maybe it won’t burn a quart of oil a week like the 502 that was in my work truck!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2019 at 8:05pm
Got the wiring fixed up. Need to address a small leak at the rudder.

But, oil pressure is lower than I was hoping after 7 hours of break-in/ babying. :(
I'm finding varying reports of what to expect as far as cold/warm pressure goes but I picked up a mechanical gauge today to see what it says this weekend. (Was 10-15 on warm idle, 35ish 3k rpm or less)....Little higher when it's cold especially at idle.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2019 at 3:29pm
Dropped off the face of the planet.

She runs and drives. Few electrical/dash issues to iron out but we used it every day last week.

502 sounds just lovely.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2019 at 5:46pm
I also got my plug wires today.. The box was from PCM directly and had a hand written note that said "last set..." with a date on it.

(I was going to run MSD or DUI wires If I needed to but liked the idea of OEM).

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2019 at 2:50pm
Wow, congrats it's finally in there! Shouldn't be long now
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You’re gonna have to yank that thing back out, the distributor’s on the wrong end of the motor!!!
Must be some kind of a reject.

My buddy helping me with the forklift had never seen a v-drive and kept telling me to turn it around.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 11:35pm
You’re gonna have to yank that thing back out, the distributor’s on the wrong end of the motor!!!
Must be some kind of a reject.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 8:27pm
Amazing to me that pan has room to fit in the bilge.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 8:16pm

Tis in there.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 8:15pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 12:44pm
I haven't started searching for a hose just yet. The one that came off is in good shape I just wanted to start fresh with all of the cooling parts. It's got a little corrosion inside but the hose itself is still soft/usable.

Put the motor in last night. Have a few more items to button up and it will be time to fire. Still trying to decide what oil to run. Part of me wants to stick with Valvoline VR1 like I ran in my GT40s just in a 20-50 weight.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 6:14pm
Wow awesome progress!

Have you tried a pre-formed hose from a 454? I remember talking to Zach a while back when he was still at N3 and he mentioned that the 502 shared many parts with the 454. Might be worth a shot especially if you can find one locally to compare.

If no luck there you may want to see if a Mercruiser 502 part may work. They were pretty plentiful in off-shore boats so you might have better luck sourcing a part that way if it happens to the same.
1999 Python Super Sport
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 2:04pm
The hose looks very similar. Looks like it is just missing a couple of inches on one end when flipped around to match the curves. I have no experience with a python, but that looks so close I would be trying to make it work.
'92 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 5:36pm
Finished up the ballast, new rear bilge pump and hose, all the cooling (except the pre-formed one) and gas lines are new and in the boat.

So the pre-formed hose has been wrong from two people now. I can only assume I keep getting the one for the 496 baby python.

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 3:13pm
Well that is pretty. Congrats.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 2:18pm
Looks so tiny ..... you should have gone with some bigger displacement!

I have no regrets, love my boat and it's perfect for what we do, but the Python powered Sport I considered buying was an awfully fun, cool, great sounding boat.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 1:04pm
Motor is ready. Just need to finish the in-boat items. Few days and I'll put it in there....

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

I also get to figure out how to pump out a completely full gas tank with 2 year old gas. Or more to the point. What to do with said gas when it's out.

Cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight and a few 5 gal buckets will get most out. Or you could siphon it out into your least favorite neighbors tank    
Just kidding .....
But if you have some property, that'd make a good accelerant for a bonfire    
Again, just kidding ... wouldn't want you to loose any facial hair. Or skin.   

My old lawnmower gas + some diesel might or might not have been used for the last bonfire at the ranch.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

I also get to figure out how to pump out a completely full gas tank with 2 year old gas. Or more to the point. What to do with said gas when it's out.

Cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight and a few 5 gal buckets will get most out. Or you could siphon it out into your least favorite neighbors tank    
Just kidding .....
But if you have some property, that'd make a good accelerant for a bonfire    
Again, just kidding ... wouldn't want you to loose any facial hair. Or skin.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:44pm

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:43pm
Feel like it's taking forever but I know there are plenty of people with much more involved projects so I can't complain.

Boat #1 refurb went much faster since we had 1 kiddo and I had a more relaxed work schedule. This one is contending with 2 very active Boys (that help on the boat when they aren't playing sports) and work is nothing short of nuts for the last few years.

It's boating weather as it is around here so I'm trying to hustle.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:32pm
Certainly coming along nicely. I think everyone following your thread is getting mighty anxious to see that beast sitting in its new home!   Kinda betting you're the same way
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 6:30pm
Ran short on a ballast fitting or two and a couple feet of hose yesterday so I re-directed my energy towards graphic removal.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 6:25pm
Bilge is getting there. Shooting to put the motor back in next week.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 1:57am
Tim, I have seen, working in the Automotive Rebuilding business lifter failures and they were attributed to people running heavier oils.   These were people that switched from the recommended 5-30 to 10-40W in freshly rebuilt engines. The rollers on the lifters were slow to get oil.   Not the lifter mechanism, just the roller needles. It was also in cold climates in the winter that we would see these issues.   In boats most do not go out when it is sub 30 degrees so it may not be an issue.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 7:37pm
I've seen 15-40 and 20-50 from a few different people. I think my motor guy mentioned it but wasnt on my paperwork from him. Sent him a note this morning to see what he says.

I haven't gotten off my rump to call or email anybody but i'm curious if there are any remote oil filter kits still floating around.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 5:35pm
They don’t. 15w40 was the recommendation in the (PCM) vortec 350, iirc. I suspect the 6.0L is the same.

In any case, oil weight is related to the clearances and not the cam choice- probably best not to confuse the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic