NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back with a new project....

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back with a new project....
    Posted: July-20-2018 at 5:30pm
Been a while but I'm back with a new project boat....

Sold our pro air about a year ago to fund an investment and wanted another Nautique since. We though about newer, non-projects, different brands (nothing like a CC), etc..

Ended up stumbling onto a 99 Super Air this week that was in good/great shape other than a window into the side of the block with a rod almost hanging out of it.

I'm a sucker for a good deal on a project so it begins today. Family stuff is going to take up 99.9% of our time this summer so I'm probably not going to do much other than research for a while. That and it's supposed to be tripple digit heat for the foreseeable future in our neck of the woods. I don't much like crawling around in a bilge when it's that hot.

I'll get pictures and other stuff going.

Anybody know a good source for a 502 Long Block?
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 11:30pm
Congrats on the new project. I'm sure a few pictures will follow.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 11:39pm
Good find if you don't mind the work and want/ need a project. I'm sure we'll all be watching the progress and for sure will require the visual aid as you post them.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 1:14pm
Went back and forth on a project but I really enjoyed working on my pro air with my son. He's out of diapers this time so he should be even more helpful. :)

I've got a few pictures but need to find a new hosting site. My pro air progress was always on photobucket.

Trey
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Was it born with a Python 502 or just considering all options for the new block? Looking forward to seeing your new project.
1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Was it born with a Python 502 or just considering all options for the new block? Looking forward to seeing your new project.

Born a 502.      If my research is correct, it's one of 11 Super Airs for the Year and one of a few here in Texas... (I know there is a Black/White 99 for sale south of me with a Python.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 6:42pm
Very cool! Good luck finding a block.

I have heard that same number of 11 Python Super Airs in 99. I am not sure if that 11 includes Super Sports as well or if there is a separate count for them. I have a 99 Python Super Sport and love it.
1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 6:51pm
I've actually had good luck finding blocks so far they just aren't cheap at all. I was prepared for that and the price was right so is what it is. Boat itself is in pretty good shape for the year.

I've got a buddy from college that's into the whole Lake Havasu Giant Boat Small Package Scene. He is supposed to put me in touch with his motor builder here in Texas. His specialty is Big Block GM motors so I'm going to pick his brain.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 8:20pm

Only ones i have currently
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 8:57pm
Interesting. Tower is a 2004 if it came off a SAN, or was modified off of a 211. Those graphics must be custom made. Not a graphic I've ever seen in one of the brochures, or on any other boat. Looks to be in good shape. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Interesting. Tower is a 2004 if it came off a SAN, or was modified off of a 211. Those graphics must be custom made. Not a graphic I've ever seen in one of the brochures, or on any other boat. Looks to be in good shape. BKH

Correct on the tower, it’s off an 04.

I thought I had seen these graphics before but I could be wrong.... They won’t be around for long as they are pretty sun baked.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 1:19pm
Crawled around it a bunch last night and cleaned all the compartments.

It's equiped with a heater and a shower. Can't say I've ever had a boat with either. And a powered rear nav light.

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 4:16pm
Looks to be in fine condition. Purple has never been my favorite, but I'm sure you'll make it work! Nothing better than a good buffing and new stickers. Good luck.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 11:34pm
Love the purple. Very sharp boat !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 6:46pm
Oddly enough I love the purple. I'm going to pull all of the decals and do something different. I can't seem to find the 99 decals however. I can print whatever so it would be nice if I could track down the art.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 2:21pm
I'm still trying to understand the differences between the later model BBC motors and shopping for an over head crane.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 4:31pm
Really looks nice! I test drove a '99 Python Sport back when I was looking and the sound was awesome, cool factor as well, and needless to say it pulled hard out of the hole and buried the Airguides. That's going to be a great boat for you.

Overhead crane - meaning beam and roller with a chain hoist? Something else?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Really looks nice! I test drove a '99 Python Sport back when I was looking and the sound was awesome, cool factor as well, and needless to say it pulled hard out of the hole and buried the Airguides. That's going to be a great boat for you.

Overhead crane - meaning beam and roller with a chain hoist? Something else?

On the crane I haven't decided yet. I''ve looked at a few some what mobile gantry cranes on the local Craigslist. We could use it for other things at the ranch so one of those might come in handy. My boat barn was also built with the intention of a second story that never happened so it has gigantic ceiling joists. I might be able to hang a winch from there. I've used plenty of cherry pickers in the past but looking at different options this time.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 5:45pm
Mobile gantry's tend to be less rugged than they look at times, figure you'd want one that is rated for twice what you expect to lift with it. You can build an I-beam frame for relatively short money, hang a hoist on a trolley, really versatile as you can lift and roll the load in a straight line. Might have to pour a pair of reinforced square slabs under the uprights depending on what kind of slab you have there now. Can't move it but very useful.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:17pm
Those decal are factory installed. Saw plenty coming thru Southeast and have had the pleasure of installing some.
woodyelc
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Those decal are factory installed. Saw plenty coming thru Southeast and have had the pleasure of installing some.

Interesting. Have seen many Air Nautque with that design, but that would be the first Super Air. Got to believe the guys that were there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Interesting. Have seen many Air Nautque with that design, but that would be the first Super Air. Got to believe the guys that were there.

BKH

This is actually the first set I had seen on a Super Air. I've noticed quite a few on the DD boats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 7:48pm
With all due respect to Woody, I think this is a very good recreation of the 98 Air Nautique graphic updated to add Super. There is also a similar version for the 99 Pro Air . My apologies if they ever offered this graphic for Super Airs but if so I have never seen it. I believe the correct 99 Super Air graphics are NLA unfortunately.
1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

With all due respect to Woody, I think this is a very good recreation of the 98 Air Nautique graphic updated to add Super. There is also a similar version for the 99 Pro Air . My apologies if they ever offered this graphic for Super Airs but if so I have never seen it. I believe the correct 99 Super Air graphics are NLA unfortunately.

I believe you are correct. If I could fiind the font or art I can produce them but that search is proving fruitless. I've actually seen a set of letters from a 211/236 I believe on this vintage of a super air. They looked great as it wasn't a super over the top graphics.. IE. not a Bylerly or the Skull/Cross Bones. (Don't get me wrong I like those too just not on this boat).

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 8:08pm
I know I'm not supposed to link to the "other" website but I like these graphics. (Page 7 after the tribal... No tribal, ever).

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/show-us-your-nautique/27473-1997-super-sport-red-black-air-work-in-progress-lots-of-photos/page7
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 9:10pm
I kind of thought the same thing. But it was 20 years ago, and I was not the guy putting them on the boat, so . . .

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 9:17pm

I kind of thought the same thing. But it was 20 years ago, and I was not the guy putting them on the boat, so . . .

BKH

And sounded like he had seen them before. 😃. Who knows, they look like they’ve been on there since new or close to it
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:14pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:16pm

Still shines up pretty good.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic