NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back with a new project....

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 79SNbrady 79SNbrady wrote:

Did you ever figure out the direction your going with roller vs flat tappet? or is the jury still out until you tear apart the vented engine?

Roller, it was clarified somewhere along the road but I don't think I mentioned it.

I've got a new long block sitting in my warehouse.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2018 at 8:38pm
Fun stuff now I'm going to get the bildge cleaned up and:

Replace all the hoses. (Fuel/Cooling/Etc)
Add an underwater light
New Bilge Pumps (one works and sounds terrible.
New Ballast hoses and Pumps (set up for bags)

Probably need to put some thought into a steering cable and re-pack of the shaft as well.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2019 at 4:17pm
Finally getting off my rear and getting started. Took a few days off during the kids spring break and I'll spend some of it on the boat.

Ordered all my external motor parts, ballast, bildge and all related goodies today. Plan is to have the motor in this month and ready to start by april fools day.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 11:38am

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 11:51am
Well that looks promising!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 12:41pm
Getting there.

So something I don't have a whole ton of knowledge on... Installting the Distributor+ Priming the oil pump.
- I figured the pump needs to be primed before the first start but that leads me to a few questions.. I'm probably not going to put the motor in for another 2 weeks. I've still got to get the bildge area sorted out and I'm not home much for a bit. If I prime it now or soon does it matter if it sits for a few weeks? I'm trying to decide if I want to fill it with oil, prime it, and stab the distributor now or wait until i'm ready. I've also only installed one distributor in my entire life so making sure I get that right has been confusing. It would be nice to have the motor as buttoned up and ready to go as will fit through as we lower it in to reduce the amount I'm doing in the boat itself.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 12:54pm
It's not the oil pump that you are priming, it's the engine. By spinning the pump you force oil through all the passages so there's no dry time during startup. Curious if others here feel a newly rebuilt engine is lubed enough to not bother with priming, but I'd tend to do it. Basically you have a drill extension that matches the distributor end and spins the oil pump for a bit to build pressure and send oil all over the engine.

If you prime it and it sits a few weeks I don't see that as being a problem at all.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

It's not the oil pump that you are priming, it's the engine. By spinning the pump you force oil through all the passages so there's no dry time during startup. Curious if others here feel a newly rebuilt engine is lubed enough to not bother with priming, but I'd tend to do it. Basically you have a drill extension that matches the distributor end and spins the oil pump for a bit to build pressure and send oil all over the engine.

If you prime it and it sits a few weeks I don't see that as being a problem at all.

I understood the process but wondered how effective it was to do so if the motor still has a few weeks for the oil to run back into the pan. Curious what others think that obviously know more than me about rebuilds. :)

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 2:31pm
Priming it right before the first crank would be beat, but priming a few weeks earlier would be better than not priming at all. I would slowly move the crank while priming to make sure oil gets everywhere.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 2:50pm
Also need to figure out what oil to run for the first change.... I know several Python owners are running rotella which is fine by me but I need to figure out if I should run anything different the first go round.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 2:55pm
Convention is non-synth straight 30w for initial engine break in (~10hrs) but I’d confirm with the builder. They should have a recommendation on weight to run afterwards as well (based on the clearances that they set).

Roller cam usually means it’ll be pretty tolerant of oil choice. A decent, reasonably priced option like rotella, delo or gtx would get my vote (for break-in).
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 3:56pm
Most engines that have roller lifters have a 5w-20,30 or 40 weight oil so they lubricate right away. I did not check to see if Marine engines have the same recommendation when running roller lifters.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 5:35pm
They don’t. 15w40 was the recommendation in the (PCM) vortec 350, iirc. I suspect the 6.0L is the same.

In any case, oil weight is related to the clearances and not the cam choice- probably best not to confuse the issue.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 7:37pm
I've seen 15-40 and 20-50 from a few different people. I think my motor guy mentioned it but wasnt on my paperwork from him. Sent him a note this morning to see what he says.

I haven't gotten off my rump to call or email anybody but i'm curious if there are any remote oil filter kits still floating around.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 1:57am
Tim, I have seen, working in the Automotive Rebuilding business lifter failures and they were attributed to people running heavier oils.   These were people that switched from the recommended 5-30 to 10-40W in freshly rebuilt engines. The rollers on the lifters were slow to get oil.   Not the lifter mechanism, just the roller needles. It was also in cold climates in the winter that we would see these issues.   In boats most do not go out when it is sub 30 degrees so it may not be an issue.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 6:25pm
Bilge is getting there. Shooting to put the motor back in next week.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 6:30pm
Ran short on a ballast fitting or two and a couple feet of hose yesterday so I re-directed my energy towards graphic removal.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:32pm
Certainly coming along nicely. I think everyone following your thread is getting mighty anxious to see that beast sitting in its new home!   Kinda betting you're the same way
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:43pm
Feel like it's taking forever but I know there are plenty of people with much more involved projects so I can't complain.

Boat #1 refurb went much faster since we had 1 kiddo and I had a more relaxed work schedule. This one is contending with 2 very active Boys (that help on the boat when they aren't playing sports) and work is nothing short of nuts for the last few years.

It's boating weather as it is around here so I'm trying to hustle.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 7:44pm
I also get to figure out how to pump out a completely full gas tank with 2 year old gas. Or more to the point. What to do with said gas when it's out.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

I also get to figure out how to pump out a completely full gas tank with 2 year old gas. Or more to the point. What to do with said gas when it's out.

Cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight and a few 5 gal buckets will get most out. Or you could siphon it out into your least favorite neighbors tank    
Just kidding .....
But if you have some property, that'd make a good accelerant for a bonfire    
Again, just kidding ... wouldn't want you to loose any facial hair. Or skin.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Cheap hand pump from Harbor Freight and a few 5 gal buckets will get most out. Or you could siphon it out into your least favorite neighbors tank    
Just kidding .....
But if you have some property, that'd make a good accelerant for a bonfire    
Again, just kidding ... wouldn't want you to loose any facial hair. Or skin.   

My old lawnmower gas + some diesel might or might not have been used for the last bonfire at the ranch.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 1:04pm
Motor is ready. Just need to finish the in-boat items. Few days and I'll put it in there....

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 2:18pm
Looks so tiny ..... you should have gone with some bigger displacement!

I have no regrets, love my boat and it's perfect for what we do, but the Python powered Sport I considered buying was an awfully fun, cool, great sounding boat.
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2019 at 3:13pm
Well that is pretty. Congrats.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2019 at 5:36pm
Finished up the ballast, new rear bilge pump and hose, all the cooling (except the pre-formed one) and gas lines are new and in the boat.

So the pre-formed hose has been wrong from two people now. I can only assume I keep getting the one for the 496 baby python.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 2:04pm
The hose looks very similar. Looks like it is just missing a couple of inches on one end when flipped around to match the curves. I have no experience with a python, but that looks so close I would be trying to make it work.
'92 Sport Nautique
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 6:14pm
Wow awesome progress!

Have you tried a pre-formed hose from a 454? I remember talking to Zach a while back when he was still at N3 and he mentioned that the 502 shared many parts with the 454. Might be worth a shot especially if you can find one locally to compare.

If no luck there you may want to see if a Mercruiser 502 part may work. They were pretty plentiful in off-shore boats so you might have better luck sourcing a part that way if it happens to the same.
1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 12:44pm
I haven't started searching for a hose just yet. The one that came off is in good shape I just wanted to start fresh with all of the cooling parts. It's got a little corrosion inside but the hose itself is still soft/usable.

Put the motor in last night. Have a few more items to button up and it will be time to fire. Still trying to decide what oil to run. Part of me wants to stick with Valvoline VR1 like I ran in my GT40s just in a 20-50 weight.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2019 at 8:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic