Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
finnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo change
    Posted: July-20-2018 at 11:48pm
Hello Friends

98 196

My airguide speedo was shot i.e., leaking water so i replaced it with the approriate Faris model from Nautique parts. My problem is that it reads at least 10 to 15 MPH too slow. It is obvious driving the boat, but i compared it to the GPS on my phone and sure enough about 15 MPH too slow. Any suggestions? I know you cant really calibrate them. Could the brand new speedo be bad?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 1:42am
I know nothing about those gauges but I do know that the Airguides can sometimes be soldered back together,they freeze and then split the soldered seam in the bellows or they can be converted to gps
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2018 at 6:21am
Eric,
Have you tried to get in touch with Faria Beede?

Don't toss the old speedo. As Gary mentioned, the fix is a simple soldering of the crack.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 2:56pm
I have been looking into getting my Airguides to work and one question I have is, does the pickup tube need to be specific to the Airguides or can a regular Faria PU work?

Could this also be OP's problem?
2005 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 3:09pm
Brian,
The pitot is not specific. Have you checked for leaks in the tubing balance tubes and the speedos themselves?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 5:16pm
I have not checked the balance tubes and the gauges are long since neglected. What is the best way to refurbish the gauges or it just a matter of cleaning them up?
2005 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 6:33pm
Brian,
The gauges can be opened up to clean up the faces but most likely they are faded. Someone on site at one time had some decals made to re face the speedos. I'll see if I can locate the thread but I haven't seen it in some time so I have a feeling they are no longer available.

You mention that you haven't checked the balance tubes but what about the tubing and the speedos? A good way to check the complete system is to used compressed air. All that's needed is less than 30 PSI.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2018 at 12:49pm
I cleaned up both gauges and one started to work correctly then after going out I blew low pressure through the line it looked like the pick up tube was plugged so I think they both should be working. Thanks for the help Pete.
2005 Ski Nautique
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2018 at 9:56am
I completely restored my Airguides last spring, all parts came from
http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/airguide/agr/agr.html
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2018 at 7:20pm
I cleaned up my gauges and and painted my needles and the rings but the face plates are a little beat up. The only problem with using the classicboatwork ones it that you lose the "Nautiques by Correct Craft" on them. This is how they turned out.

2005 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2018 at 8:48pm
Brian,
They look pretty darn good to me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic