Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Damaged :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Damaged :(
    Posted: July-23-2018 at 11:58am
Boat got torn up while docked this weekend.
The wind picked up and was blowing the boat into the dock.
That combined with larger waves caused a bumper to ride up out of position.

Cosmetic hull damage. Rub rail damage Swim platform is jacked. It's pushed out and over.
The mounting hole has gelcoat cracks all around.    With that kind of leverage should I be worried about transom cracks?

Does anyone make replacement swim platforms?

How bad is this? Worth claiming on insurance? I've got $375 deductible.

Sent a buddy the pics. He said it will be a total.... Hard to believe. But, if true I'll be shopping for a Sport Nautique.

This goes on for another foot or so.

Boat the day before.   

Sold - 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
Current - 1996 - MC Prostar 205
I keep doing this wrong.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 12:18pm
First order of business fix your dock before you beat up another boat.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 12:23pm
Not our dock. This was at a local marina/restaurant.
I keep doing this wrong.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 12:42pm
The insurance co will make a decision at around 75% of your policy limit. Go get an estimate and read the policy.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 7:48pm
Shop est $3400.

More than I was expecting.
I keep doing this wrong.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 10:22pm
The transom can be strengthened from the inside of the hull. You will need to remove the back seat, floor and gas tank to proper attach the damage. Are the colorful graphics vinyl or is it paint? Are the graphics done in Gel.?

This can be fixed as a winter project we can walk you through it. Matching older gel coat with newer gel will be the hardest part. Mini Craft of Florida is one place you could get Gel Coat from. I-Boats .com sells Spectrum Gel Coat for many boat brands. Correct Craft used Spectrum. They might have your original gel coat color for your boat. We can walk you through it set by step. Basically, you are using a Dermal Tool to grind out the scratches to bare glass and then using a gel coat putty made with fiberglass filler to fill in the grinded out cracks. . Then you wet sand with many fine grits and polish to get the scratches out. You will need to polish the entire side of the boat to make it look great. If the graphics are vinyl you can remove and replace the graphic . If paint you can mask and paint.

JMO,

Donald .

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 12:36am
Looks like an older Supra like I used to have. If they give ya $3400, fix it yourself and save the money for a Nautique.

You can get those stripe kits from folks on the Supra owner’s forum (nothing like CCF). The folks here can walk you through this step-by-step. It’s somethinf YOU CAN DO! Donald speaks with authority on this.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 10:04am
Thanks everybody. This is on my '86 Supra. Found it when looking for a Nautique a few years ago. It was to nice to pass up.

The graphics are decals. Those I can find. If I take this on it will be a chance to clean up a few other things. Replace all the decals. Basically give the exterior a refresh.

The shop wasn't worried about the transom. The swim platform is mounted with lag bolts, none of them pulled out. To inspect the back of the transom the back seat and fuel tank have to come out. Then floor has to be cut out in the back.. A lot of work.

Insurance will inspect it in a few days. Will know more then.
I keep doing this wrong.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 10:16am
My local marina was able to replace the plywood backing for the swim platform without removing the tank if I recall correctly. It’s tight back there but if you take off the floor piece behind the doghouse and the back seat I think you can see what’s going on there. I wouldn’t bother if the platform brackets aren’t pulled out, just get some new brackets or fix/straighten yours and use slightly larger lag bolts with some 5200 sealant and be done with it. The swim platform looks kind of mangled and they’re available brand new from several aftermarket makers.

The rest is sand/fill/gel work you can do or have someone do. Fix it up, make it look like new—then sell it and get a CC.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 7:54pm
Update:

Insurance totaled the boat. This actually worked out pretty well for me. I had the boat insured on an agreed value for $10k. So the settlement is $10k less $375 deductible. They offered to sell the boat back to me for $900. I took that deal. So I have a check for $8725 and the damaged Supra.

I'm going to buff out the scratches and clean up a few things and list it for sale. I'm thinking I should be able to get around $5k.

We had it out 5 days last week and it performed great. Swim platform is not compromised with the stainless trim removed.

Will be searching for a Sport Nautique. Super clean, low hours, GT40. There is a great '97 listed on here in NE. Seller seems great, but the price is to high. Plus it's half way across the country. Send any leads my way.

Couple parting shots of the 1986 Sunsport. Really a great boat.

Cheers!

I keep doing this wrong.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 12:32pm
Jake, you seriously made out, none of that math even makes sense! I'd order both sides of the bottom decal buff best you can... and enjoy the boat while you shop. Not sure how hard it would be to find that trim strip for the platform (has it been stained or something).

Not sure what someone would pay for that especially considering the title is no longer clean. Document this story so they know it wasn't submerged.

Either way, put some Rainier on ice and get it back out on the lake to celebrate your win! Invite the adjuster for the day; you owe that guy..

As if you weren't lucky enough to be able to boat on that gorgeous mountain lake..
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 12:51pm
That is a view into Glacier Park from Hungry Horse reservoir.
22 miles long and completely in forest service land. Not a house on it.
Amazing place.

I was able to buff out the scratches and hammer out the kink in the swim platform trim.
Boat looks pretty darn good considering.
No salvage titles in Montana to worry about.
I'm thinking it should easily bring $5k as-is. We will see.
Will be enjoying it until it finds a new owner.
I don't have the room to get another boat until this one goes.
I keep doing this wrong.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 2:07pm
Nice outcome.....financially...

But let me see if I got this right, you are just going to "buff out a few scratches, clean up a few things, and list it for sale"?
This, the same boat you began this thread worried about, claiming it was "damaged". "torn up", and questioning the integrity of the hull. platform, and transom?
Now you're simply going to sell it to someone else?

Strike me as a real stand-up guy. GLWS

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 2:51pm
As long as he's upfront with the buyer who cares, people sell SN's with rotten stringers to uninformed buyers everyday.
I have a feeling there wasn't any structural damage just some gel cracks.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 3:35pm
I say take a stab at fixing it. You are way ahead of the game, and now the boats history.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

But let me see if I got this right, you are just going to "buff out a few scratches, clean up a few things, and list it for sale"?
This, the same boat you began this thread worried about, claiming it was "damaged". "torn up", and questioning the integrity of the hull. platform, and transom?
Now you're simply going to sell it to someone else?

Strike me as a real stand-up guy. GLWS

You raise some good points. My question was if the transom could have been compromised by the impact to the swim platform.
The shop inspected the transom and determined no damage. The mounting screws weren't even pulled out. There is a bit of stress cracking in the gel. They think that was there before as there was some discoloration in the cracks. The platform brackets are slightly bent and the trim strip was damaged. There was a chip in the fiberglass at the transom corner. The rest of the damage was black scratches through the decal on the side.

The eye opener on the estimate was the labor rate at $140 hour and repair times. I think they had 14 hours to remove the decal and buff the side. That adds up in a hurry.

I plan to disclose everything I know about the boat and its history to any prospective buyer. I think anyone shopping in the $5k range will expect some issues. Or, perhaps I won't find any takers and it will stay with us. If that happens I'll continue to lurk here dreaming of a Nautique.
I keep doing this wrong.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 4:25pm
3 things.

1: Sorry about the boat, it looks cherry.

2: That Dodge truck is great looking.

3: Who was your insurance company?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 5:03pm
I drove my car home after someone hit me. Insurance adjuster did a visual inspection at my residence. After I told him the mileage over the phone he determined it was a total loss. I said I want to keep the car so they mailed a check for the difference. The vehicle and the title never left my possession.

Not sure where the 'salvage' line really is. Maybe someone in the insurance game would know.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

3 things.

1: Sorry about the boat, it looks cherry.

2: That Dodge truck is great looking.

3: Who was your insurance company?

1. Thank you
2. Thank you
3. Progressive

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I drove my car home after someone hit me. Insurance adjuster did a visual inspection at my residence. After I told him the mileage over the phone he determined it was a total loss. I said I want to keep the car so they mailed a check for the difference. The vehicle and the title never left my possession.

Not sure where the 'salvage' line really is. Maybe someone in the insurance game would know.

My understanding is that if there isn't some kind of massive structural issue it is just a financial decision. In this case my boat had a book value of $5500, the $4500 estimate was over 75% of the value so was enough to "total" mine. If the boat had been worth $20k they would have written me a check to fix it.
I keep doing this wrong.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2018 at 7:30pm
In Arkansas, as long as the titled owner buys the vehicle from the insurance company and the insurance company never takes possession of the title then it stays clean. However, if the insurance company takes possession then it becomes a salvage title. Of course, in Arkansas, boats don't have titles, trailers do. It's weird!
92 Sport nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 1:57am
Progressive !!! I am shocked. You owe Floe some loving !!!!! Or Jamie a reach around.

I am not in the market for a boat but I would not be afraid of that Supra with the doc damage.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 9:54am
Man, that's a great story. I am always getting the short end of the stick whenever insurance is involved. Business insurance is like legalized crime, and place a claim?? May as well kill yourself.

Good for you.
Js
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:06am
I have progressive as well. Some say the agreed value is just a suggestion and they only pay out what the "real" assessed value is. Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:13am

I have progressive as well. Some say the agreed value is just a suggestion and they only pay out what the "real" assessed value is. Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Yeah, and it will be the last claim he makes.. Ol Flo or Jamie is going to ram it hard up his ass when the next premium is due........
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:17am
I used progressive on several of my sport bikes before I went into racing full time. I made a few claims and hey we’re great. One claim was when I hit a deer and did $6k of damage to a brand new Cbr 1000. I had my money in a few days and premiums never went up. I insure everything through farm bureau now but I wouldn’t be scared to use progressive vehicle insurance again in the future.
92 Sport nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:28am

You need to be very careful about “agreed value” vs “stated value”. Read your policy closely and call your insurer if the language is unclear. You may be surprised with what they say.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You need to be very careful about “agreed value” vs “stated value”. Read your policy closely and call your insurer if the language is unclear. You may be surprised with what they say.

This is true. I have Progressive for the boat and camper. Both on an agreed value policy. The language on both policies says in event of a total they will pay agreed value.

Their auto policy doesn't offer agreed value, only stated amount. It reads in event of total will pay actual cash value or stated amount, whichever is less.
Ended up insuring the '79 Dodge pictured above through Safeco on an agreed value policy.

What I found interesting is that they have to use the actual cash value to make the total loss determination, not the agreed value. Apparently most states total loss law language is based on actual cash value.

I keep doing this wrong.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 12:48pm

I have progressive as well. Some say the agreed value is just a suggestion and they only pay out what the "real" assessed value is.

Good to hear as both of mine are with Flo!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 1:36pm

Yeah, and it will be the last claim he makes.. Ol Flo or Jamie is going to ram it hard up his ass when the next premium is due........ [/QUOTE]

MOJO you crack me up.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Yeah, and it will be the last claim he makes.. Ol Flo or Jamie is going to ram it hard up his ass when the next premium is due........

MOJO you crack me up. [/QUOTE]

Its all true. Insurance companies aren't in the business of handing out money... Someone always pays in the end....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic