Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Joey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 questions
    Posted: August-01-2006 at 1:24am
Just got the boat out over the weekend. (My wife had a new baby on 6/9 Emilie is doing great.) Anyway boat ran great on Saturday, RPM's full out around 4100. Pulled the kid around 3400 no problem. On Sunday. Boat started fine. Died a few time on take off. Then the best I could get was 3100 rpm's. later in the day the rpm's would jump up to 3400 then drop to 3100 you could hear the engine surge up and down. Any thoughts on why? Should I change the plugs? Gas was from last year Nov when I winterized it. Any help would be great. (P.s. the boat seemed to run fine around 2000 to 2800 rpm's when I pulle the little kids on the tube. Thanks for all your help.

Joel
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 9:51am
Start with the simple stuff first before spending money.

Check fuel filter or replace...check screen filter in carb if it's a holley (located where the fuel enters the the carb...in the fitting).
Check all fuel lines and fittings to be sure there are no leaks...check to see that fuel line is not binding anywhere...all the way back to the tank.

Other considerations...when was the last tune up? (plugs, wires,new points, timing set etc).
Might want to test to see if the fuel pump is putting out enough.

Last year I had surging at the 3000rpm range...in that case it turned out to be the secondary float was adjusted too low.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Joey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:18pm
Thanks for the info.
I will try that and get back with the info.
Thanks again

Joel
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 4:42pm
Any black smoke or black residue on the back of the boat?
Tim D
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2006 at 10:52am
Start with the easy stuff like listed. cap, rotor, wires and points.
Atmspltr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atmspltr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2006 at 4:33pm
My bet is fuel problem. Did you add fuel stabilizer when it was winterized last year? If not you probably have a filter full of varnish. Keep a spare with you.

Is it carburated(sp?) or injected? If it's injected, there is a screen on the suction side of your electric fuel pump. Pull the screen and clean it. Consider putting a clear inline fuel filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump to prevent trashing the pump screen and to allow monitoring of the trash buildup. It will not starve the motor of fuel.

RB
Joey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2006 at 5:06pm
No Black smoke. It is not injected motor. I will try the fuel filter. I will post if that works

Thanks for your help

joel
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2006 at 1:41am
My '84 was doing the same thing. Drove me nuts. RTeplaced a lot of parts. Turns out there's a screen in the fuel tank pickup tube. It had a lot of trash in it. Cleaned it out and no more problems.
Good luck.
Joey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 1:23am
Guys thanks for all your help. Replaced a gas line and the boat runs great. My uncle has had the boat all week he as put over 25 hours on it this week alone. Again thanks for all the help.

Joel
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2006 at 9:21am
Great Joel. Thanks for reporting to us.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic