Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fix up a 82 or 84 SN?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
austinbenincasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fix up a 82 or 84 SN?
    Posted: July-29-2018 at 1:20am
Been searching the internet like a hawk for a 70s/80s SN I could grab for under 7k. I have recently come across a 82 and a 84 that are being sold by the same seller about 4 hours from me. I don't know much about the boats other than what's in the ad. I wanted to get a general consensus of which boat everyone thought was better worth the elbow grease.

82 SN

84 SN

Both look like they could a good wet sanding and new stripes. I think the 82 has the smaller engine in it? Interiors in both are in usable condition.

I don't know if anyone lives close by and wants to check them out. Would save me an 8 hour day of driving which I would greatly appreciate.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 10:31am
At a guess I would say they have the same engine, 230hp should be the same Ford 351 PCM engine.

The 84 looks like its been sitting in the water rather than dry.

Im sure the others will chime in soon
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 10:38am
Plan on doing considerable updating with a 35 YO boat.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Plan on doing considerable updating with a 35 YO boat.

Yeah I have I been planning on putting in the maintenance a boat of this age requires. I dont want a 'turn key' boat but would like something useable for the rest of the season so come winter time I can work on it.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 10:47am
I would say keep looking.
Js

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

You think so? I know they aren't worth the asking price. You think they are a little to far past saving?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by austinbenincasa austinbenincasa wrote:

Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

You think so? I know they aren't worth the asking price. You think they are a little to far past saving?

Nothing is past saving. It obviously just depends on how much you want to put into it.

My biggest concern would be the condition of the stringers. You may be able to get several seasons out of the originals and maybe not. Check them out and do check the alignment. It can be a good indicator of stringer condition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nothing is past saving. It obviously just depends on how much you want to put into it.

My biggest concern would be the condition of the stringers. You may be able to get several seasons out of the originals and maybe not. Check them out and do check the alignment. It can be a good indicator of stringer condition.

I agree stringers would be a concern. But I would be willing to replace them given the engine still has a little life. Would be a little bummed to finish a stringer only to find out the engine needs a rebuild. But I understand something you just can't plan for.

By allignment your mean prop shaft alingment? Would I just try to spin the prop our of water to see if it's overly difficult? Or take measurements from points on the haul to the shaft?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:23am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:24am

Alignment video

Was just searching for this, thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:31am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 11:40am

Austin,
There's lots of great threads in the CCfan FAQ's

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I've been trying to search for topics concerning the SN 2001's (stripe painting, stringers, engine maintenance) but I haven't found a great way to do it from the webpage. I've been going to Google and entering my search query than adding correct craft fan at the end or before the query. I've had decent luck with that finding threads.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 2:27pm
In October / November, you may find some better boats with lowering prices...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinbenincasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

In October / November, you may find some better boats with lowering prices...

JQ

Yeah thats what I've heard. Would like a boat for the rest of the season but don't want to jump the gun on one because of that reason. NY state has been pretty dry for SN's. Might have to drive outta state for one. I'll have to see if there a forum someone posted about far away deals/boat transport advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic