NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Ring / Lifting eye

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Ring / Lifting eye
    Posted: August-01-2006 at 2:36pm
Can anyone comment on using the lifting eye to attach a ski rope to? Will this support pulling a tuber without causing hull damage or should I add a tow ring on the transom?

Boat is an 86 2001.
Brian
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 2:48pm
not sure if you should but i just dragged my
75 lb daughter around w/her goofy buddies just
this weekend with no problems. they call them
lifting rings and if they can hold the boat up indefinately then they should be able to drag someone around.

but im probably wrong!
fredo68
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 2:55pm
yeah you can use them for lighter loads like that, but the rings were intentionally designed for lifting the boat, meaning they are meant for vertical load. Like i said though as long as you're not pulling 2-3 tubes full of 200lb guys around a lake then you should be alright, but watch for stress cracks around it...

Good Luck,

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 4:56pm
I've used the lifting ring for tubes for years without issue. However, I've never pulled on of these giant tubes with 5 or 6 people on it behind my boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 11:06pm
I have pulled tubes and skies by mine for 12 years with no problems

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 12:16am
p/allen has a beautiful boat BTW. Was in Greenlake and I thought it was a contender for best boat in its vintage. Unfortunately he came up against that rare 70s orange promo boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 2:35am
Not all CC's had the Pole to pull from. I had a '64 American Skier without a Ski Pole and we pulled slalom skiers with the rear lift eye. That Lift Eye had been used so much it was actually worn where the ski rope attached!

We also used the rear lift eye in the '71 even though it had the pole. Towing from the rear allowed us to use the backseat and have 4 people in the boat.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 4:21pm
Thanks ,BKH. Glad you were there to see it . Hope you can make it next year

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 11:38pm
64 ,
My 64 American Skier doesnt have a pylon either! I think it was an option back then... My rear lift ring shows plenty of use also over the last 40 years! (Hope she makes the next 40 as gracefully as she did the first!)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
83SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 11:04am
My 83's lift ring had been used to pull something by the previous owner and was bent rearward. i was able to straighten it most of the way but that should answer the question.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:02pm
When you guys use the lifting rings to pull with do you remove the covers? Or do you just bend the yoke over the platform? I have many times wanted to use these hooks however they seem to have intentionally made it difficult to even get a hook on them on my boat. And the stern pull specifically says to only use for single skiers and no tubes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:11pm
JHolton, Im assuming you have a '90+ Nautique? If so, youre right- it would be very hard to pull from the lifting rings since they are so low. The rope would mark up the platform pretty good- I dont even use them to tie up to the dock because of this. You dont want to tow more than 1 skier from that rear pylon- its only through-bolted through the fiberglass.

The older boats that can use the lifting ring to tow because of where it is located. Here is a shot of Alan's '81 that shows it.

jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:35pm
oooo ya not quite the same deal. Good thing I did not try that. I was haveing pipe dreams of really wingen someone around with the back of the boat on those days that it is just to rough to ski or board
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 12:55pm
JHolton:

I use the tow "spool" on the back of my '93SN to pull tubers. Never had a problem. Tim is right that the spool is simply through bolted with on large bolt, but it should have an aluminum backing plate on the underside of the deck and the deck is very thick in this area.

I would however, avoid pulling two skiers/boarders/tubers at once.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by 83SN2001 83SN2001 wrote:

My 83's lift ring had been used to pull something by the previous owner and was bent rearward. i was able to straighten it most of the way but that should answer the question.

I'd bet they were towing another boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

JHolton:

I use the tow "spool" on the back of my '93SN to pull tubers. Never had a problem. Tim is right that the spool is simply through bolted with on large bolt, but it should have an aluminum backing plate on the underside of the deck and the deck is very thick in this area.

I would however, avoid pulling two skiers/boarders/tubers at once.

David, I just pulled mine off to be powdercoated and there's no backing plate on mine- just a big washer. Youre right though- the glass is very thick.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 5:10pm
Hey Guys, I spent the weekend at a family reunion and guess what? They wanted me to pull them tubing. I almost cried but finaly gave in, I still hooked the rope to the pylon but ran it through the rear lift ring first. That way we could use the rear seat and cram a few more kiddies in the boat. I guess there is still the possibility of the rope snapping and hitting someone in the rear seats but I think it's remote. If I pull on my rear lifting ring hard enough I can move it side to side and I didn't want to crack the gel so this set up seemed to work pretty good.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 5:43pm

i believe on my 72 that the lifting ring is also bolted down through and also connected to the back wall of the boat . That is what i seem to remember the last time i took out the gas tank.

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2006 at 11:23pm
I have been reading this thread with interest because I wanted to avoid putting a ski eye, or spool, on the transom of my 78 Ski Tique. Anyway, I pulled the back seat and part*tion to take a look. I found that the threaded rod had corroded away to half of its original diameter and the wood backing plate that I assume was butted up to the inside of the deck had fallen and was resting on the top of the gas tank. If you haven't looked in awhile, it may not be a bad idea.

Glad I didn't throw the nieces in the tube this weekend!

I guess I will install a couple of bow eyes on the transom instead, or is that a bad idea due to some reason I have not thought of yet.

I hate tubes.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 9:47am
Please don't put a pull ring on the transom or rear deck. May I suggest you simply fix your lifting ring support?

The threaded rod transfer the force from the ring to the steel angle mounted (glassed) to the transom. The ring is threaded onto the threaded rod. Simply remove the top side screws on the ring, remove the nuts from the threaded rod and pull the ring straight up and out of the boat. Attempt to purchase stainless threaded rod. Or, buy regular threaded rod and paint liberally after installation.

Now, reassemble everything making sure the new plywood block is sandwiched tight to the underside of the deck (make sure you use Life Boat Caulk or equal to seal the ring/deck). This effectively clamps the deck between the ring and plywood block. Next, clamp the steel angle bracket with two nuts on the threaded rod. Make sure you do not cause the deck to pull down or lift up when doing this step. Finally, replace the two sheet metal screws on the lifting ring.

What you should have noticed is that the wood blocks purpose is to prevent the deck from moving down and away from the lifting ring when people step on the deck close to the ring. If the deck were to move, it would cause the two sheet metal screws to pull out fo the fiberglass. The two screws are simply there to prevent the ring from rotating.

And finally, the threaded rod contributes very little to the strength of the ring assembly when pulling skiers/tubers/boarders. The strength in this scenario comes more from the clamping force of the wood block under the deck...so yes, this needs to be relatively tight. Forgot to mention, use double larger washers between the wood block and nut. You also should double nut (i.e. jamb nut) to prevent it from coming loose in the future. Use lock washers at the steel angle.

Hope this helps.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 11:24am
Wow David!! That sounds like you have done this not once but two or three times. Great explanation, you should look into a career as a Technical Writer. Tough act to follow for advice giving.

Jeff
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 11:26am
Well I hate to admit this. But after I took my youngest wake skating late yesterday afternoon, he brought a couple of friends over. They, of course, wanted to tube, so we did. Now, his friends are 10th and 11th grade. One of them weighed in at 300+ and the other about 220#. We've got two tubes, both were hooked up to the rear lift ring of our 69 SN. No problems.
It did however get interesting when my son went back to his wake skate and I had these two guys both sitting in the forward observer seat. We were a bit bow heavy--had to take it easy on the left hand power turns, and watch the angle I approached rollers at idle speed.
There is still hope for America's youth, because both were truly impressed to be riding in a classic with a 318 rumbling.
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 3:17pm
Thanks David, I will follow your advice. Personally, I like to keep things as close to original as possible.

Just out of curiousity, why is there an aversion to adding extra connection points ski eyes and towers? Is it the "keep it original" philosophy (with which I agree) or is there another reason. I would like to have a snappy answer for the next wise a*s who makes a tower comment.

Thanks
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2006 at 4:00pm
How 'bout
"You want big air kid, pull my finger, or try trick skis."
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic