NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

143 Thermostat question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gibson1525 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 143 Thermostat question
    Posted: August-04-2018 at 12:48am
I"m working on an overheating problem on my '88 2001 with a 351 PCM. After changing the impeller, cleaning the water filter and inspecting for blockages I changed the thermostat today (a 143 thermostat). There was no difference in the temperature with the new thermostat. It idles at 180, runs 175 at wakeboard speeds and 185 at slalom speeds.

I think my ultimate problem is the RWP as it takes about a minute to run suck a 5 gallon bucket dry from the water intake hose. However, before dropping the money on a RWP I decided to test the thermostat on the stove.

I put the new and old thermostats in a pot of water and slowly heated it up. They both opened at about 155 just a crack then fully opened about 160. When they were cooled they closed around 140. Is this how a 143 thermostat is supposed to perform? I was under the impression that it should open up at 143. I did this several times with the same result each time from both thermostats.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:40am
Older boats that are running FORD 351's came with a 142deg Marine thermostat. The temp guage would show a running temp of about 160-175 depending on water temp and how accurate the guage was. Those same FORD 351's that came installed with a heater ran a 160+ marine themostat. The guage would read somewhere around 180-190 deg. Helped the heater core get hotter. And then there is the FORD 351 with NO Thermostat it will run about 100deg and be less fuel effiecent. Maybe OK to run in Florida in the summer but not up north. In other words Georgia and NORTH. There is a difference between a Marine and a AUTO thermostat RUN A MARINE ONE. Marine thermostat can close shut but there are 3 small holes in them to allow water to always flow through.

I found this on a search and don't know if it is helpful but I think I received a small education.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 5:04am
My 1978 351W we ran for many years. Sold it with 1,500 hours on the clock.
It ran right at 140 on the gauge all the time and we used to barefoot a lot behind that boat.
Any time it ran hotter than 140 I knew I had a problem, I would search and fix that problem and get back to 140 temps again. Feed a garden hose into your intake and run the engine.
If it stays at 140 you have a supply issue.   Common supply issue is an air leak on the intake side between the pump and the intake.   An old hose or a loose clamp can allow air to suck into the system. If air is sucked in you will not have vacuum to supply your water to the engine.
The hoses may be old and stiff.   Tighten them when they are warm. You will never get them tight while they are cold. An air leak can be at any connection between the water intake and your water pump.   Did you install a quality impeller?   Some brands out there don't work even when brand new.
Hope this helps.
Mark
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 10:09am
There's no air in the water strainer so I would think at least that portion is fine. I could replace the hoses and see, what happens, it's a lot cheaper than the RWP. My thought was that since it's not sucking much water from a bucket on the intake that the RWP is probably the issue.

The only other thing I can think of that I haven't done is look at the transmission cooler to see if there is debris in it. I've never done this before, I'm guessing I just take the hoses off where they enter the transmission and look around for debris??
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 10:36am
When you changed impeller, how did the wear plate inside pump look?.

If grooved badly, you can flip it over & use the other side.

Good luck.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

When you changed impeller, how did the wear plate inside pump look?. .

The cam too? The shaft seal may be allowing air in too? Was the impeller you used an OEM? The off brands have caused problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 3:25pm
The wear plate looked good. I didn't look at the cam or shaft seal. Am I just looking for signs of wear on those? If those are worn am I looking at a RWP rebuild or replace? I'm a novice so depending on the difficulty I'm not sure I can rebuild it.

The impeller was a Sherwood from Christie's Marine, same type I've been using for 10 years without any problems.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 4:59pm
I just inspected the transmission cooler, no issues there, clean as a whistle.

I also ran it briefly without a thermostat and it ran at 140. When i slowed back to idle it jumped to just above 150. Does this mean the thermostat has been the issue all along or does it even matter if the RWP needs rebuild or has an air leak?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 5:01pm
There is a gasket on the water strainers on the intake side. I had one of those leaking air, did not leak water out but air sucked in.
Trace the intake lines from the bottom of your boat all the way to the Raw Water Pump.
It may go to the water strainer, then the oil cooler and then to the Raw Water Pump.
Any air leak along the line could be your cause of high temp.
I never had to change the RWP seals so can't advise on that.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 5:04pm
When we did hard runs for skiing or barefooting the temp would stay right at 140, when we shut off to pick up or change skiers the temp would rise, engine off to maybe 180.
As soon as the engine was started again the temp would fall back to 140 in just a couple seconds.   Yours appears to have an issue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 5:14pm
I've checked every connection between the intake and RWP. Everything looks good from what I can tell. The water strainer O-ring looks good but I'll go ahead and replace just in case.

It sounds like my problem is a little different than yours. I run 180 pretty much all the time from idle to wakeboard speeds. It runs 185 for slalom and hotter during barefoot runs. Letting it idle will bring it back down to 180 but it never gets cooler than that while running.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

There is a gasket on the water strainers on the intake side. I had one of those leaking air, did not leak water out but air sucked in. .

Mark,
In Brian's first post, he said:
Originally posted by gibson1525 gibson1525 wrote:

I think my ultimate problem is the RWP as it takes about a minute to run suck a 5 gallon bucket dry from the water intake hose. .
so, I don't feel the problem is with the strainer gasket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 6:54pm
Another thought - Maybe it isn't getting as hot as the gauge says?

You could use an IR thermometer to check actual temp.

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 7:15pm

We need a "LIKE" button on here.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 7:40pm
Pete, if he disconnected the hose from the bottom of the boat at the intake and put it in a bucket for a new source of water the result is exactly the same to the RWP.   It needs suction to pull from either the bucket or the lake.
Now if he used a new hose and connected it to the RWP and inserted the new hose into the bucket he could rule out all other leak paths on the intake side of the RWP.

I had a buddy lose an impeller at the lake when we had packed in for a 5 day trip.   His impeller chewed up and spit chunks into his hoses on the engine side.
We had a spare and tools so no big deal right? We dug out what we could. Thought we had all the old impeller chunks recovered. When he fired up again it kept running hot.   We ended up pulling the hoses off again and found a few more chunks of the bad impeller still blocking the water flow, the second time we removed the hoses completely off the boat so we could look down through them and found some wedged chunks.   At home we could have blasted water through them with a garden hose but at the lake we had to remove them to clean. It can happen even when you think you are being careful. After the more thorough cleaning his boat was good to go.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2018 at 12:43pm

+1

Get an Infra Red thermometer and do some checking. I would "shoot" temps at the heads, block, block circulating pump, risers, etc. That should give you more important data points to consider. You could have a bad temp sending unit or gauge. The I.R. can help diagnose that.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I would "shoot" temps at the heads, block, block circulating pump, risers, JQ

And directly next to the temp sender to see if it coordinates with the gauge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 10:48pm
Update. All great ideas, thanks for the suggestions. I tested the RWP and it's pumping an appropriate amount of water so that's not the problem like I originally thought.

I talked to the skidim guys and they suggested checking the temp with an IR thermometer also as well as taking apart the exhaust to make sure there wasn't a blockage. The exhaust was clean when I took it apart.

When I checked the temps I found the thermostat housing to be 145, near the temp sender 125-130, the manifold risers about 110 all while the temp gauge read 180.

So looks like I'll be ordering a new temp sender and see if that does it.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 11:22pm

Suggested back on the 4th of Aug
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

+1

Get an Infra Red thermometer and do some checking. I would "shoot" temps at the heads, block, block circulating pump, risers, etc. That should give you more important data points to consider. You could have a bad temp sending unit or gauge. The I.R. can help diagnose that.

JQ

And the 5th.... but what do we know
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 8:17pm
Brian - We would love to know what you find out about the sensor.

When you change it, see if you can find an ID #.

Either someone put the wrong one in, or it changed resistance due to old age.

Information like this helps everyone on the site.

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 4:16am
Glad you found the issue and it will not be expensive.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2018 at 4:46pm
I had a similar thing with mine where ultimately a new gauge was the fix.

Overall low dash voltage problems, common with these 80s - early 90s boats can cause wacky gauge readings as well. If all of your gauges dip when you blow the horn or turn on the blower or bilge pump, that’s a clue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 2:45pm
Update

I replaced the temp sender and no luck. It is still reading 180s when the thermostat housing is reading 140s.

I have some other voltage issues, the oil pressure gauge reads high and the volt gauge reads low. All of these things started around the same time. So I'm thinking of just rewiring the dash and see what happens with proper grounds to all the gauges.

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I had a similar thing with mine where ultimately a new gauge was the fix.

Overall low dash voltage problems, common with these 80s - early 90s boats can cause wacky gauge readings as well. If all of your gauges dip when you blow the horn or turn on the blower or bilge pump, that’s a clue.

I definitely have some dipping of several gauges when anything gets turned on so I'm thinking this is at least part, if not all, of my problem.

Likely a winter project for me since it's running well currently. I think I'll just enjoy what's left of summer on the water!
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 3:09pm

Update
I replaced the temp sender and no luck. It is still reading 180s when the thermostat housing is reading 140s.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

And directly next to the temp sender to see if it coordinates with the gauge.

You're not listening!!    The T stat housing is where water that's not needed is bypassed to the manifolds so, you may be reading where cool water mixed with hot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 5:00pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom of the thermostat housing and right next to the temp sender should read the same temp. I've been taking my temp readings from both those places every time and they are always very close.

The top of the thermostat housing is always a fair amount cooler than the bottom.
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 5:42pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom of the thermostat housing and right next to the temp sender should read the same temp. I've been taking my temp readings from both those places every time and they are always very close.

The top of the thermostat housing is always a fair amount cooler than the bottom.

Everything you wrote above is right.

As you mentioned it sounds like an electrical issue since all of your gauges are reading wrong   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 6:46pm

Brian,
Yes, just as Ken mentioned, you are correct. Sorry but I wish you were more specific when you first mentioned the T stat housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 12:16am
Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the help, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff and I appreciate all the solid advice I get here.
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
mjajennings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjajennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2018 at 8:15am
I just read this whole thread, very helpful. Mine (1990 SN) has an issue where temp reads 160 consistently until I turn on the nave lights and then it jumps up to 180- if the boat is at 180 after heavy pulling it reads 200...which has caused me to panic a bit thinking I’m going to overheat on the way Back home at dusk! I heard this might be a ground issue and that I may be able to run a new ground. Any thoughts? Input would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic