NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Lift
    Posted: August-10-2018 at 9:06am
Hi, decided to build my own cantilever boat lift for our SN196, anybody know what would be the best grade of aluminium to use, I'm a bit confused with all the different codes,
(5083, 6083, 6063), so just looking for advise on which one to use.
The other point I need to sort is I am going to put a hipped canopy on it with a central bearer right through the middle 24' long and wondered if any one can tell me what size it would need to be.
Many thanks
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 9:46am
Dave,
Is he welding or bolting the lift together? it may make a difference as to the alloy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 10:29am
I was going to bolt it together using triangular plates and then get the main joints, ie the corner uprights for the left and right frame welded. Do you think it may be strong enough just bolted, was going to use 3/8" plate and !/2" bolts.
Barefoot Gramp's
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 11:27am
Dave,
6063 is probably your best choice for availability, corrosion resistance and if you still want to weld it, not bad. If you have tight fitting holes without much clearance, I feel you would have no problem with just bolting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DPUK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 11:50am
Thanks, yeh no problem with getting the 6063, and if I don't have to pay a welder, all the better.
Best star getting some quote's.
Many Thanks
Dave
Barefoot Gramp's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic